Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Malfunction?!?

spawny

Hi all

Last night the engine malfunction light came on on the RAV. This is the orange light on the dash next to the red Battery light and under the temp gauge.

The wagon felt fine and despite resetting the engine stayed on all night whilst driving.

This morning it is not on and the car feels fine.

Should I be worried? Any explaination for this?

Thanks in advance for your advice/experitse

Cheers,

Spawny

The oxygen sensors tend to go out of range from time to time. It will have stored a code which should point you in the right direction.

Anchorman

Cheers, presumably I have to take it to my local Mr T to be read?

If it is the O2 sensors going out of range, do they need to be changed? If so any idea of a rough cost?

Thanks,

Spawny

It could also just be the heater circuit for one of the sensors throwing a wobbly. If you want peace of mind then just find any garage that will read the codes for you without charging a stupid amount. A back-street place may charge 10 or 15 quid. Another option is to disconnect the Battery for a few hours as this 'usually' makes the ECU forget the codes. If the light comes on again then you could get it checked out properly. Two things about disconnecting the battery; make sure you have any stereo codes etc that you'll need to re-enter and the engine will prb run a wee bit rough for a few miles while it relearns idle settings and stuff.

Cheers for that, will try and get the code read.

If I can get them to give me the code number, presumalbly there is somewhere that these can be looked up, in offical documentation maybe?

If not does anyone know of an online resource?

Not too keen on disconnecting the Battery at this stage, as I don't know where the radio code is!!

Thanks,

Spawny

Yes get the code. 99/100 we can tell you what they are. There is a way to get it to tell you by a flash code. Have a read at section 2 in this;

DTC_read_0004.pdf

On later ones you can buy a meter but it won't work on yours. The SST means a piece of wire bridging the 2 terminals.

Thanks anchorman and all.

Code related to O2 sensor in the exhaust (the one after the cat) going out of range.

Been offered a replacment sensor (at £209!!) but don't think I am going to go for it, unless problem re-occurs.

Cheers for all the advice and help.

Regards,

Spawny

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links