Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My New Auris And Its Foibles

Dave 3

I've had my new Auris for just over a month, the car is generally ok and feels safe and solid. However, one or two niggles! The cars radio is poor on reception for BBC radio 2 and 4 and is a bit of a fiddle when you have to toggle between FM 1, 2 and 3 to try and improve reception. We gften have to revert to AM to be able to listen. Has anyone else had similar problems? Is it possible to fit an alternative radio?

My other problem is the fiddle of having to depress the clutch completely to the floor on starting. Does anyone know why this is necessary and can it be disabled. Its particularly annoying if you stall and have to go through the procedure with the clutch every-time. Can anyone advise please?

I've had my new Auris for just over a month, the car is generally ok and feels safe and solid. However, one or two niggles! The cars radio is poor on reception for BBC radio 2 and 4 and is a bit of a fiddle when you have to toggle between FM 1, 2 and 3 to try and improve reception. We gften have to revert to AM to be able to listen. Has anyone else had similar problems? Is it possible to fit an alternative radio?

My other problem is the fiddle of having to depress the clutch completely to the floor on starting. Does anyone know why this is necessary and can it be disabled. Its particularly annoying if you stall and have to go through the procedure with the clutch every-time. Can anyone advise please?

You should of bought an automatic gearbox then. Where I live you are learn at driving school to depress the clutch and the breakes before you turn the engine on.

Fitting of an aftermarket radio/CD is possible. Try using search and use "DVD" and "double din" as key words.

As for the clutch "problem" - this is not a problem - it's a safety feature - I had it even in my 2000 Kia Spectra. The reason for that is that if you try to start the car in gear and don't have this safety feature, a few bad things could happen.

1. Bumping into the car in front of you.

2. Tear the timing belt which would cause the valves to hit the pistons - this would most definitely break all of your 16 valves and damage the pistons as well! Sounds fun to you? Didn't think so ;) I love this feature and have always been clutching at starting, even when this has not been necessary.

Fitting of an aftermarket radio/CD is possible. Try using search and use "DVD" and "double din" as key words.

As for the clutch "problem" - this is not a problem - it's a safety feature - I had it even in my 2000 Kia Spectra. The reason for that is that if you try to start the car in gear and don't have this safety feature, a few bad things could happen.

1. Bumping into the car in front of you.

2. Tear the timing belt which would cause the valves to hit the pistons - this would most definitely break all of your 16 valves and damage the pistons as well! Sounds fun to you? Didn't think so ;) I love this feature and have always been clutching at starting, even when this has not been necessary.

Couldnt agree more with number2.

Apparently, and i was informed a little while ago from a friend so please dont slate me if its tosh, but you should always start a car with the clutch depressed as it lessens the stress on the engine.

Sorry but there is no way on god's green earth that trying to start a car in gear will affect the timing belt at all. Unless for some freaky reason the Auris starter motor is connected via the cam belt :P

Whoever told you that simply does not understand how an engine works.

As for disabling it, I am sure it would be possible to bypass the switch by making it register as always closed, although there may be engine management implications (there wasn't in some of the supras that had this "feature") and I assume your insurance company would probably moan if they found out.

It would annoy me too! We have survived for years without the need for such "safety" devices! -like the alarms that go off when you don't wear a seat belt.

LOL at it snapping your timing belt. I assume you dont actually know much about how engines work then yeah?

Its true that having the clutch depressed puts slightly less strain on the starter but thats all.

And as for point 1, all you need is common sense and a tiny tiny tiny little bit of driving skill!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links