Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash Brightness Adjustment Dial

07xtr

Hi all

Went out on Saturday night after it got dark to see how my Rav is at night, couldn't believe how bright the headlights are compared to the japanese import pajero I traded in for it...anyway, just a quick question, on the right hand side there's 2 switches, one adjusts the headlights and the other allows you to alter the dash brightness. One of them is lit when the lights are on (the headlight adjuster) but the dash brightness one isn't. Is this a blown bulb (and something I should get the dealer I brought it from to fix) or is it just an adjuster that isn't backlit? (It's a 57 plate XTR - in case you hadn't guessed...)

Hi all

Went out on Saturday night after it got dark to see how my Rav is at night, couldn't believe how bright the headlights are compared to the japanese import pajero I traded in for it...anyway, just a quick question, on the right hand side there's 2 switches, one adjusts the headlights and the other allows you to alter the dash brightness. One of them is lit when the lights are on (the headlight adjuster) but the dash brightness one isn't. Is this a blown bulb (and something I should get the dealer I brought it from to fix) or is it just an adjuster that isn't backlit? (It's a 57 plate XTR - in case you hadn't guessed...)

It's just the headlight beam adjuster that is back lit :thumbsup:

P.S Don't use it when the headlights are on!!

Hi all

No it's not backlight - nor are the window or mirror controls. The boot light is on the rear door so when you open the door you can't see inside! Footwell is lit though so that's a really useful feature when you want to see if your shoelaces are still tied :angry:

Pretty poor on a supposedly premium vehicle of the 21st century.

There is an excellent mod by Anchorman for the boot light in the pinned section. I have worked out a method of illuminating the window switches but have not got round to installing it yet.

If you really need the dash dimmer illuminated it is probably easiest to take a feed off the lighter LED and fit your own LED next to the dash dimmer. Be careful rummaging around under the steering wheel though as the knee airbag is down there and you do not want that going off in your face. Disconnect he Battery if you decide to investigate.

Hope that helps.

thanks dunderduncs and Davrav,

I'm not too fussed about it being lit I just wanted to check if it should be lit..gotta get these little things looked into while they'll still remember who I am at the dealers but as it's not meant to be lit, it's not a problem...as for the headlight beam adjuster, why shouldn't i use it when the lights are on? always nice to know these things tho

as for the headlight beam adjuster, why shouldn't i use it when the lights are on?

Because the owners manual says so :lol:

I think it's something to do with the projector style of headlamp used :g:

as for the headlight beam adjuster, why shouldn't i use it when the lights are on?

Because the owners manual says so :lol:

I think it's something to do with the projector style of headlamp used :g:

RTFM :lol: should have guessed

• 4 weeks later...

So you have to turn off the headlights to adjust them??? How bizarre!!! Is it just me that thinks that is nuts?

So you have to turn off the headlights to adjust them??? How bizarre!!! Is it just me that thinks that is nuts?

I have used the head light adjuster many times when the head lights are on and all still seems well -did not notice anything about not using the adjuster when lights are on so just had a quick read - page 160 in my book and there is nothing about not having the lights on!

Might apply to earlier models but alway did the same with my 2003 Rav4 and no ill effects.

Guy

I have used the head light adjuster many times when the head lights are on and all still seems well -did not notice anything about not using the adjuster when lights are on so just had a quick read - page 160 in my book and there is nothing about not having the lights on!

Might apply to earlier models but alway did the same with my 2003 Rav4 and no ill effects.

It's a couple of pages before that, I think it's on page 156 ;)

Is this a wind up? How do you adjust the headlights when driving in the dark? Turn them off, adjust, turn them on again? Hit tree. Die. But the lights still work.

Is this a wind up? How do you adjust the headlights when driving in the dark? Turn them off, adjust, turn them on again? Hit tree. Die. But the lights still work.

Indeed :lol:

In theory, the weight on the rear axle shouldn't change once you are moving, so you can adjust the headlights prior to moving off.

Thus avoiding a fatal collision with a tree...

Indeed :lol:

In theory, the weight on the rear axle shouldn't change once you are moving, so you can adjust the headlights prior to moving off.

Thus avoiding a fatal collision with a tree...

Three chaps in Northern Ireland drove into a tree, The IRA admitted responsibility, as they had planted it.. :shutit:

It's a couple of pages before that, I think it's on page 156 ;)

Hi Duncerduncs,

you are right, as usual, page 158 - would have thought it better to have put it on Page 160 with the headlight leveling instructions.

Guy

I have worked out a method of illuminating the window switches but have not got round to installing it yet.

Wow, please let me know, if it's easy. It's ridiculous that they aren't illuminated.

I adjust mine while I'm moving whatever the manual says!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links