Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Codes

corkey72

Hi guys

I have a 2000 Celica. Unfortunately the engine went pop at 75,000 miles, a common fault i have been told. Something to do with the oil ring design I am told.

I decided that the best way to proceed was to get a used engine out of a smashed up newer car.

I spoke to a company called Dewsbury Auto Salvage and they told me they had a 2005 140 bhp celica in which had been rolled. The Engine had only done 18,000 miles and was a revised version of the 1zz engine and would slot straight in.

I have recieved my engine this morning and I have to say that the oil in it is as black and thick as you can get, plus it does not look as though it has done so few miles.

They told me that they usually sell the engines for 600 quid, but because this one is so low mileage i ended up paying 850 plus vat.

Also the engine code is a mystery as it says E1Z-T72, which as far as I can work out is out of a Toyota Avensis.

What I am saying is I dont think this engine is the one I have paid for. I have rang them back and they continue to say that it is out of the Celica.

I have paid for it on credit card, so I may be able to get my money back. Can anybody advise me if they think I am correct

Many thanks

David

Hi guys

I have a 2000 Celica. Unfortunately the engine went pop at 75,000 miles, a common fault i have been told. Something to do with the oil ring design I am told.

I decided that the best way to proceed was to get a used engine out of a smashed up newer car.

I spoke to a company called Dewsbury Auto Salvage and they told me they had a 2005 140 bhp celica in which had been rolled. The Engine had only done 18,000 miles and was a revised version of the 1zz engine and would slot straight in.

I have recieved my engine this morning and I have to say that the oil in it is as black and thick as you can get, plus it does not look as though it has done so few miles.

They told me that they usually sell the engines for 600 quid, but because this one is so low mileage i ended up paying 850 plus vat.

Also the engine code is a mystery as it says E1Z-T72, which as far as I can work out is out of a Toyota Avensis.

What I am saying is I dont think this engine is the one I have paid for. I have rang them back and they continue to say that it is out of the Celica.

I have paid for it on credit card, so I may be able to get my money back. Can anybody advise me if they think I am correct

Many thanks

David

E1Z is a 1ZZ engine but it was not the standard code for a celica, it is the code used on the Avensis prior to the D4_D direct injection engines so it might be a pre 53 plate Avensis it came from. The Avensis changed to 1AZ-FSE 2 litre engine mainly after that date but there were still E1Z engines in dealerships. I would ask the company to provide you with a copy of the VIN plate from the Vehicle as you can find all info from that. Hope this helps

If it's an Avensis 1ZZ engine then the engine number will begin with a "U" (i.e. U123456)

I should also say that E1Z-T72 is most likely (I'd say I'm 90% sure of this) a 1ZZ Avensis. The bit about the "U" on the engine number will just make me 100% certain (U means UK built engines. All Celicas are Japan built)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links