Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slow Oil Drip From Driveshaft?

ShamblesX

Evening Ladies...

Had the VVTi 2.0L NRG (Mar 2003) since Feb this year, no leaks of any kind so far. Mileage is low at 36K.

Over the past 5 days we've noticed a single drop of very clean oil after being parked overnight on our driveway.

Took a couple of pics.

I'd like to know what to expect from the Toyota dealership when we take her in for a look. We didn't purchase from a dealership. Are we facing a major task here?

Thanks

100_0753.jpg

100_0757.jpg

Just to add, it's a single drop of oil each time she's parked the RAV up, so we currently have 6 drops of oil on the driveway.

Anyone know if it's a big job to get whatever is leaking, fixed?

1. Clean any muck from around the area you photographed.
  2. Drain the oil from the diff housing.
  3. Mark the position of the propshaft on the rear diff so you can put it back in the same place.
  4. Undo the four bolts holding it in place.
  5. Undo the two bolts holding the centre of the shaft.
  6. Pull the drive shaft out. It should drop from the rear and then pull out.
  7. Pull out the oil seal inside the diff. Take care cos sometimes the wire ring inside it can dislodge.
  8. Put a smear of oil on the new one and carefully press squarely into place. Make sure it's the right way round.
  9. Refit the prop shaft lining up the markings with the rear diff.
  10. Tighten up the bolts.
  11. Refill the diff with correct oil

Job done. Hope this helps

1. Clean any muck from around the area you photographed.
  2. Drain the oil from the diff housing.
  3. Mark the position of the propshaft on the rear diff so you can put it back in the same place.
  4. Undo the four bolts holding it in place.
  5. Undo the two bolts holding the centre of the shaft.
  6. Pull the drive shaft out. It should drop from the rear and then pull out.
  7. Pull out the oil seal inside the diff. Take care cos sometimes the wire ring inside it can dislodge.
  8. Put a smear of oil on the new one and carefully press squarely into place. Make sure it's the right way round.
  9. Refit the prop shaft lining up the markings with the rear diff.
  10. Tighten up the bolts.
  11. Refill the diff with correct oil

Job done. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info Bodgit

This isn't something I intend doing myself, even though you make it sound quite simple. Thirty years ago I would have tackled it. So the oil is dripping from the front diff? That's the kind of info I need to take to the dealership (or I might use a local station).

Thanks once again!

Quick edit: The part I need replacing... would it be called a "front diff oil seal"?

It would be the transfer box oil seal, but the mechanic will know that when he (or she - it is 2009 after all) takes a peek underneath.

It would be the transfer box oil seal, but the mechanic will know that when he (or she - it is 2009 after all) takes a peek underneath.

"TRANSFER BOX OIL SEAL" - got it, thanks. Am expecting a call this morning to quote for the fix. Cheers

i had the same with the gx box, as i had it in extended warranty it was fixed foh.

price for this if i can remember is about £275 but if i had that box not in warranty i did it my self

i had the same with the gx box, as i had it in extended warranty it was fixed foh.

price for this if i can remember is about £275 but if i had that box not in warranty i did it my self

Ours goes in Wednesday. Total cost to "replace g/box ext housing seal", clean local area & refill lubricant, £150. I'm happy with that

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links