Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towing With Invincible

AdrianLC5

Hi

New to Toyota and to forum. Splashed ouy and bought an Invincible to replace 14 yr old shogun. Massive change! First time towing 1300kg caravan and we felt the ride was very choppy and verging on the uncomfortable. Does anyone else tow with this model and if so, what susupension setting do you use and what nose weight do you use and, finally, what's it like for you?

Thanks

Adrian

I've towed a fair amount in ours over the past 9 months - including 700 miles at Easter. Caravan is 1800kg and the car is normally fully loaded with 3 kids, 4 slabs of beer, weber 120 bbq etc, plus all the other crap that is required - 3 bikes on the roof.

I find the ride excellent - the car sits level (I have the suspension set to "sport") and overall it's effortless and very calm at 60mph.

Reckon the nose weight is 100kg and caravan is a twin axle.

best thing on the car is the camera for hitching up and the ability to raise the rear which helps when raising the jockey wheel up - as the drive is on a slope.

Previously I towed with a nissan pathy and the difference with the lc is huge :D

Thanks. I now reckon I'm too light on the noseweight. I'll adjust and measure to see an increase. Thanks for the reply!

Adrian

I tow a 1500 kg single axle with an lc4. Tows well at 100kg noseweight

• 1 month later...

I've always found the 7% (Or max for the vehicle - whichever is lowest) rule to give the best stability for towing our caravan. With our old Corolla we were at 86% match & provided we loaded to achieve the 7% it was very stable outfit. I know of a few people who tow with big SUV's & are somewhat blase about things like loading, nose-weight & stabiliser adjustment, thinking that the vehicles weight will over-ride everything. I couldn't believe it when I shared a lift while they were towing & it felt so unstable.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

New to Toyota and to forum. Splashed ouy and bought an Invincible to replace 14 yr old shogun. Massive change! First time towing 1300kg caravan and we felt the ride was very choppy and verging on the uncomfortable. Does anyone else tow with this model and if so, what susupension setting do you use and what nose weight do you use and, finally, what's it like for you?

Thanks

Adrian

Hi Adrian, I have the 55 plate LC5 with a large caravan. I keep the shockers in top sports mode as you would if you driving solo on the motorway. I put most of the gear in the boot and the rest, too the front of the van.

Just make sure your rear air suspension is operating correctly as mine sometimes sticks in high mode and feels terrible to drive. The LC5 is well capable at towing though as mine will do 80MPH on the flat and uphill with the van on with no worries what so ever.

Regards Darren ;)

We dont have a landcruiser (ford galaxy mpv) - but when towing our 1350KG caravan the nose weight makes a big difference to the way it tows...

Where you place weight in the caravan also makes a big difference..keep weight low and over the axel while maintaining the correct nose weight is usually best - never put anything heavy at the back of the caravan - your asking for snaking if you do!

Its true what they say - theres a lot of big car owners who think the weight and power of their cars over-rules everything - not true...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links