Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Throaty Noise From Engine Increased On My Celica

jamez2000

Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me identify a problem on my celica before I get possibly robbed by a local garage!

My celica runs fine but this week I have noticed the engine sounds more throaty (the only way to describe this) in lower revs. I have to change down a gear just to get the engine to sound normal again and keep the revs higher than usual.

I am concerned it's about to die on me if I don't get it looked at and I feel it's nothing to do with the exhaust as that's stainless steel plus if the exhaust had gone then surely it would be throaty all the time.

Any clues? It seems to run fine, temperature is normal, but I do feel the engine is trying to tell me something.

I recently topped it up with oil but not sure if that's worth mentioning.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

James

Norwich

check the big pipes from air box to throttle body are ok. also check the resonator box attatched also.

check the big pipes from air box to throttle body are ok. also check the resonator box attatched also.

Thanks GT4 booster, I will get a local garage to check as im not good with these things! At least I have an idea of what to mention to them though!

Thanks GT4 booster, I will get a local garage to check as im not good with these things! At least I have an idea of what to mention to them though!

before having a garage check them out have a quick look easy way 2 tell is to locate the pipe coming from the air box (make sure its all conected not loose and dangley) then get someone to start your engine and rev, put your hand round the pipe and feel for air rushing in if its doing it you need a new pipe, also if theres whistleing thats a good sign,

does the throaty sound only come when your acelarating up the rev range or is it all the time? if its when its accelarating its most likely the air intake, but yeh get it checked just to be sure aswell.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links