Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Off Road Tyres For Rav

4X4 M1LES

Hello, I am new to the site, but the proud owner of a RAV which I am very happy with. Bought her in January 09 and I have to say, even though I knew it was a nice car, I was pleasantly surprised with just how good it is to drive on road but also off road.

I do a fair few road miles during the week with my job but on weekends I often go off road. At present it still has the tires it left the factory with, Geolanders.

I have been looking for replacement tires for when these wear out. Because of they are size R17 not many manufacturers make off road tires for this size.

By best match so far is:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=S

Because I do a lot of road work I don’t want a full on Mud terrain tire but at the same time I don’t want to get stuck off road!

Any suggestions and advice would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks in advance.

Where do you take your rav off road. Also have you tried event tyres they usually have a wide choice of tyre.

Hello, I am new to the site, but the proud owner of a RAV which I am very happy with. Bought her in January 09 and I have to say, even though I knew it was a nice car, I was pleasantly surprised with just how good it is to drive on road but also off road.

I do a fair few road miles during the week with my job but on weekends I often go off road. At present it still has the tires it left the factory with, Geolanders.

I have been looking for replacement tires for when these wear out. Because of they are size R17 not many manufacturers make off road tires for this size.

By best match so far is:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=S

Because I do a lot of road work I don’t want a full on Mud terrain tire but at the same time I don’t want to get stuck off road!

Any suggestions and advice would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks in advance.

hi 4x4 miles

i have the geolander a/t-s +2 fitted to mine,had them about 3 years now,superb on and off road,i would like the mud terrain version personally but probably too noisy.

i go greenlaneing in suffolk quite a bit,following a suzuki jimney & a toyota hilux, the geolanders cope well,but i drive very very carefully,inching it along sometimes!,dont do clutch much good,but its far more comfy than the jimney on the road,jimney superior off road though.

some 'rav4world' members have bfg all terrains fitted,but with not much tyre/ arch clearance on full lock!(barely 1/2 inch),i tried this first but they were to close to arch for my liking.

also,get yourself some 'waffle boards' or 'bridgeing ladders' to straddle deep mud & ruts with. cheap on eBay.

hope this helps

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Although it is not my primary job, I am an agricultural Consultant which involves a lot of driving round farms and down rough tracks, nothing too serious but as we all know, on wet clay soil, it does not take much to fill the treads on a road tire.

Hi Guys,

Although it is not my primary job, I am an agricultural Consultant which involves a lot of driving round farms and down rough tracks, nothing too serious but as we all know, on wet clay soil, it does not take much to fill the treads on a road tire.

by the way........welcome to the club,lots of helpful folk on here

i think i am right in saying the 4.3 model has that 'drive lock' button on l/h side of instrument panel,does this not lock up rear diff or something to aid traction in those conditions?

this may help you to keep moving on that clay!,but keep revs down..let the torque do the work

something which mine ,the 4.2 doesnt have....but which i would like

Hi Guys,

i think i am right in saying the 4.3 model has that 'drive lock' button on l/h side of instrument panel,does this not lock up rear diff or something to aid traction in those conditions?

this may help you to keep moving on that clay!,but keep revs down..let the torque do the work

It does indeed, and is totally essential for off roading in my opinion. Even with the road tires on, this past winter I have been through some serious stuff and have yet to come even close to getting stuck.

The car does slide around a lot more with out the wheel locked in.

I had a look at the Ford Kuga before going with the RAV and I have to say I really liked it, drove really nicely and was nippy on the road. However it did not have the diff lock.

It’ all very well having clever computers shifting power around but off road I would far rather just lock the wheels in and drive it myself.

Hi Guys,

It does indeed, and is totally essential for off roading in my opinion. Even with the road tires on, this past winter I have been through some serious stuff and have yet to come even close to getting stuck.

The car does slide around a lot more with out the wheel locked in.

I had a look at the Ford Kuga before going with the RAV and I have to say I really liked it, drove really nicely and was nippy on the road. However it did not have the diff lock.

It’ all very well having clever computers shifting power around but off road I would far rather just lock the wheels in and drive it myself.

yep there is nothing quite like controlling the vehicle yourself,no horrid on board computers malfunctioning or just 'dying'

although the rav4 was never really meant for off roading,i often push mine past its limits,it aint broke yet!.....its come close,.....also its never even come close to letting me down in almost 4 years,not even a blown bulb.

not compared to a land rover owner i spotted recently he he he,look at my thread entitled 'look what i just seen' on next page

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links