Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Mpg Should I Be Getting ?h

david j starkie

Hi all, can anyone tell me what mpg i should be getting with my avensis t3x its an 04 with 51,000 miles its got a full toyota service history and as far as i know

has'nt any problems, about town i get about 31-32 mpg and on the motorway 45-50 im going off the average dash comp, some people have said they get better

with bigger engines so do you think i should be concerned, i know its not my driving as i never hammer the car and i drive sensibly. How accurate are these

dash computers?

Hi all, can anyone tell me what mpg i should be getting with my avensis t3x its an 04 with 51,000 miles its got a full toyota service history and as far as i know

has'nt any problems, about town i get about 31-32 mpg and on the motorway 45-50 im going off the average dash comp, some people have said they get better

with bigger engines so do you think i should be concerned, i know its not my driving as i never hammer the car and i drive sensibly. How accurate are these

dash computers?

David

Hi

They are not accurate at all.

I try to understand it since 2003 :D but .........

THe only way to check distance and compare with full tank.

Cheers/Igor

For me, i am getting between 37-39 around town, and up to 68-69 on motorways, by my readouts. However, there are so many different variables in both human and the mechanics of driving a car for that to be a defining mileage.

For me, i am getting between 37-39 around town, and up to 68-69 on motorways, by my readouts. However, there are so many different variables in both human and the mechanics of driving a car for that to be a defining mileage.
Hi mate thanks for the reply if it turns out its the car what can i do to sort it out other than get a new engine ?

All cars will have differences, no matter even being the same model. Like people are, i suppose. Keeping the car serviced, braking and accelerating smoothly, and reading the road ahead will hopefully allow you to get the best mileage you can. I don,t think you need to think about a new engine.

which engine & what did you expect to get out of it?

bear in mind that people have different driving styles & that someone living in flat area e.g. East Anglia would get different results from somebody living in a hilly area e.g. Peak District.

bear in mind that people have different driving styles & that someone living in flat area e.g. East Anglia would get different results from somebody living in a hilly area e.g. Peak District.

When i got the car i just remember getting quite a bit better mpg than im getting now,im concerned that i may be driving the car

while somthing is wronge and doing damage, if its my driving i can live with that.

I have the D-4D TR on an '07 plate (2.2 litre 150 brake) and I get the same mileage as you (according to the computer). In fact, the gauge hit 40 mpg this morning, this is town driving to/from work. I am very pleased with this as I was only getting 28mpg from my petrol Ford Focus, and 32 from my diesel Peugeot 406. With unleaded prices about to go higher than diesel I am more than happy!

Neil.

When i got the car i just remember getting quite a bit better mpg than im getting now,im concerned that i may be driving the car

while somthing is wronge and doing damage, if its my driving i can live with that.

When was its last service?

A change in fuel can affect MPG, i always use Shell because it is a good quality fuel, burns well and therefore gives the best MPG. Also i believe it has more additives so hopefully reduces carbon build up inside the engine and fuel pump / injectors.

Also possible that the air filter is dirty which could increase the amount of fuel used but its only a small possibility.

The poor MPG could be due to carbon / particle build up from the diesel fuel:

I would warm up the engine then take it out on the m-way and do 3.6k RPM at 70mph whatever gear that is. Stay between 3k and 3.6k RPM for up to 10minutes which will get the engine and exhaust gases HOT, this should help burn off excess carbon deposits which could be having an affect on air flow and friction making the engine work hard for the power - hence more fuel used.

Once the engine is hot, get into the max torque band like 2.4k and put your foot down until 4k then change gear instantly. Take the car through the full rev range but don't hold onto a gear. When you put your foot down you might see black smoke the first few times. But this is good, its clearing out any crap that might be there.

Once done, reset the the trip computer, go back to driving normally and see what you get.

Don't forget to take it easy, keep the revs low and the speed low for at least 5 minutes before switching off and let the car idle for at least 30 seconds before switching off. This allows the oil to cool and with it, it will dissipate heat from the turbo.

Also, i get about 43mpg in my t180 auris and that is 40% town / 60% a road over 20 miles. But we also have a new shape avensis 2.2 150 which is currently doing 38mpg purely in town.

I have the D-4D TR on an '07 plate (2.2 litre 150 brake) and I get the same mileage as you (according to the computer). In fact, the gauge hit 40 mpg this morning, this is town driving to/from work. I am very pleased with this as I was only getting 28mpg from my petrol Ford Focus, and 32 from my diesel Peugeot 406. With unleaded prices about to go higher than diesel I am more than happy!

Neil.

Thanks mate i feel better now i thought i had problems starting but if other people are getting about the same im happy.

A change in fuel can affect MPG, i always use Shell because it is a good quality fuel, burns well and therefore gives the best MPG. Also i believe it has more additives so hopefully reduces carbon build up inside the engine and fuel pump / injectors.

Also possible that the air filter is dirty which could increase the amount of fuel used but its only a small possibility.

I would warm up the engine then take it out on the m-way and do 3.6k RPM at 70mph whatever gear that is. Stay between 3k and 3.6k RPM for up to 10minutes which will get the engine and exhaust gases HOT, this should help burn off excess carbon deposits which could be having an affect on air flow and friction making the engine work hard for the power - hence more fuel used.

Once the engine is hot, get into the max torque band like 2.4k and put your foot down until 4k then change gear instantly. Take the car through the full rev range but don't hold onto a gear. When you put your foot down you might see black smoke the first few times. But this is good, its clearing out any crap that might be there.

Once done, reset the the trip computer, go back to driving normally and see what you get.

Don't forget to take it easy, keep the revs low and the speed low for at least 5 minutes before switching off and let the car idle for at least 30 seconds before switching off. This allows the oil to cool and with it, it will dissipate heat from the turbo.

Also, i get about 43mpg in my t180 auris and that is 40% town / 60% a road over 20 miles. But we also have a new shape avensis 2.2 150 which is currently doing 38mpg purely in town.

HI mate thanks for that should have said its a petrol 1.8 does the same motorway procedure apply?

HI mate thanks for that should have said its a petrol 1.8 does the same motorway procedure apply?

The petrol won't suffer the same problems, however it is still a good idea to run it at around 4.5k (this should roughly be max torque in the petrol). Petrol engines do still get carbon build up and should regularly be taken up to 4-6k RPM. A brief stint at 4.5k would be prudent.

Ignore the other things i said as they are diesel specific too :) Its rare we get petrol owners question MPG around here :)

dash computers?

Work it out manually - miles driven/litres drawn x 4.54=MPG

If your getting 35-40 in mixed usage then all is normal.

Petrol is so clean the car should not have issues, unlike Diesel which is more prone to wearing the fuel system out due the pressure the injectors are under and blocking the exhaust system when burnt due to the soot that is produced.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links