Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeaking Belt

DAF66

Hi There

I appear to have a squeaking noise from the engine bay when the engine is idleing and only when started from cold. After about 5 miles or 15 mins it dissappears until the engine is started from cold again.

I also have large rattle/vibration from the gearstick when in 5th gear around 2000 - 3000 rpm only, however i dont think these two problems are connected, although i understand that both could be symptoms of the dreaded DMF starting to fail?????

Ive read the post about the cable tensions for the gearstick and will check these at the gearbox and gearshift ends in due course. In the meantime does anyone have any pictures, pdf's of how i can access and check the belts (timing and accessories) for wear/adjustment/replacement or maybe just to apply some kind of belt dressing.

(Interstingly ive just had the timing belt replaced at 60k but couldnt say whether this squeaking noise was there before that or not?)

Many Thanks

To test the belts for creaking just pour warm water on them while it is idling and they will go quiet for a few moments. You can sometimes cure them by replacing but sometimes it comes back after a few days so don't pay too much attention to it. The belts become supple when warm and the noise goes anyway.

If you have had the timing belt done, don't bother fiddling with it any more. You can't check anything to do with it without a lot of fiddling and some stripping so forget it.

It is true that these noises are similar to DMF failure but in some cruel twist of fate RAVs are guilty of producing these syptoms quite individually and don't necessarily mean anything remotely associated. We have had reports of gearstick vibrations that have been cured by a new knob, new rubber bushes at the gearbox end or do what I do and put my hand on it if it can be spared!!!

belt_inspection.pdf

charging_system.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the same problem with the squealing noise, very embarrassing at 6am in the winter when my car sings the neighbours awake, and sitting at lights etc.!!! :lol:

Have searched a few forums and found this is a common annoyance relating to the 'serpentine' belt although suggestions from spraying the backside of the belt with silicon spray or belt grip to replacing the belt have had mixed results for other contributors. I did see a guy who replaced his belt with another brand from the one toyota normally use and his lasted around 3 times the distance before the squeal came back, about 60k instead of 20k which seems more reasonable. I've inspected my belt and it looks fairly new, slight glazing on the back but nothing that concerns me about function, if I spray silicon on the back it goes away for a couple of minutes and then comes back, I'm beginning to resign myself to having to replace the belt every 15000 miles which will be around every 9 months for me. The noise is getting too much to bear :crybaby: . Does anyone know an approx price for replacement serp with fitting on a 2003 d-4d?

With the rattling I found that when I first got my diesel rav I heard this quite alot, did a bit of research and came to the conclusion I was simply changing gears too soon, people often seem to recommend changing up around the 2000rpm mark and think it is more economical but I find generally changing up when revs are 2500-3000 (doing closer to 60mph before changing up from fourth to fifth) gives a much happier sounding engine/gearbox and makes no difference on mpg - better still no rumbling noises or rattling gearstick. On my old petrol car I would be changing to 5th around 40mph so its been a difficult habit to break.

The squealing belt it seems is a very common problem (not just with Ravs) but not a lot of clear info available, any stories of success along these lines would be welcome. Similarly anybody who HASN'T had dmf problems and has done over 50/60k would also be welcome, I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of you out there, although if you have had no problems there is much less chance of you reading this!

My wifes Rav's belt squeals sometimes in the morning,I replaced it when I changed the timing belt and pulleys,still made the noise,took the idler bearing off again and checked it,it was good,replaced the belt again,still a noise,however when I changed my clutch(here we go again,lol)the noise stopped,now I'm not going down the DMF road again but it's funny how the noise from the belt stopped.

Pedro,the rattling you're getting and the way you are driving your Rav was exactly the same thing that was happening to our Rav then the flywheel gave way 6 months later

Thanks, I'll sleep better for that! ;)

I bought my Rav in full knowledge of potential DMF failure, I've done over 20,000 miles so far but I did get it with low miles. Have thought of getting shut before it goes but there isn't another car I would want to replace it with, besides all cars have there potential misgivings (although the DMF is a biggie).

Oddly I've had no belt squeal for the last two days (although it has been fairly warm and dry).

Take it you got your DMF replaced? How much was it or did you DIY it?

Errr,I replaced it myself,I own and run a garage repair/MOT cars and bikes,lol.I know what you mean about what to replace the car with,there is nothing out there that I can trust and we work on a lot of different cars,I'm on other forums but one of them has a standing joke about my house,,its sponsored by Renault,Citroen and peugeout,trouble is they're almost right,lmao

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links