Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Vs Mini

adilmon

I parked up a was surprised to discover how similar the Aygo's dimensions were to a classic mini...

nfa0.jpg

psq1.jpg

cfc2.jpg

oue3.jpg

Have you seen a new Mini (Maxi?) parked next to an old one ... it's a joke.

Why are modern cars so tall? It just puts up the cross sectional area and makes more drag. Do people still wear top hats in cars?

Regards

Andy

Do people still wear top hats in cars?

Oh yes, my good man. Those of us among whom a sense of style still perpetuates. Driving goggles and leather gloves are, naturally, de-rigueur. Alas, I can find no obvious place to insert my cranking handle.

I always said the Aygo was going to be as legendary as the mini!

40 years from now people will try and recreate the Aygo..and fail :lol:

Recreate it? :lol2:

Go back to the own boards rolla boy :P

I see you have admitted defeat! :P

I win! :toast:

:lol:

Is the Aygo a 21st Century mini?

It might be if it looked like one. Nissan did a good job in 1993 with the Micra, it does at least look similar to a mini, and it even has 998cc and 1275cc engines just like a mini :P

Picture022.jpg

I see you have admitted defeat! :P

I win! :toast:

:lol:

Twas not defeat, was just ignoring you, and stop post stalking me :lol:

And it doesn’t have to look like the mini..its quirky and individual. like the mini was!

And it doesn’t have to look like the mini..its quirky and individual. like the mini was!

Very true, I got distracted by the looks.

Twas not defeat, was just ignoring you, and stop post stalking me :lol:

How is replying to something i've said ignoring me? :laughing:

If Toyota get back into the WRC and make an amazing rally spec version of the Aygo, then just maybe yes.

Otherwise, no

Because shapewise, the Citreon C1 and Pug 107 are the same car as the Aygo. They're like the relatives you never want to visit.

And until we purge them, the Aygo will never have the same coolness as the original Mini

-Jumps off his soapbox and runs back to the Corolla Forum-

The original Mini is undoubtedly a classic, and 50 years old now.It outlived the car designed to replace it. It brought fun and affordable motoring to the masses. The Bmw version has the same name, and some of the styling cues, but it's a very expensive car, with expensive options and a reverse tardis design that sees huge outer dimensions yet a cramped interior. No, there are many spiritual successors to the Mini, but the Bmw isn't one of them. The mk1 Ka with its low price and fun handling reputation was probably the closest thing. But now thats gone, the Aygo is the modern day Mini.

I think the Aygo has a lot more in common with the old mini than the new one does. Cheap and fun motoring, all we need is a 1275GT Aygo Sport now.

I have a real problem with the BMW Mini, I feel it's like the Germans building an new aircraft and calling it a Spitfire. It's just WRONG.

Is the Aygo a 21st Century mini?

It might be if it looked like one. Nissan did a good job in 1993 with the Micra, it does at least look similar to a mini, and it even has 998cc and 1275cc engines just like a mini :P

Picture022.jpg

You car is mint! :D

I used to drive the Phase 1 model,a nd have to say Nissan make great cars. i never had a problem with the engine, and it was so quiet, there were times I would try to start it up when it was already switch on!

Its a pity Nissan hasn`t made anything half decent since then.

I think the Aygo has a lot more in common with the old mini than the new one does. Cheap and fun motoring, all we need is a 1275GT Aygo Sport now.

I have a real problem with the BMW Mini, I feel it's like the Germans building an new aircraft and calling it a Spitfire. It's just WRONG.

The Yaris 1.33 engine with a 6 speed box would possibly fit?.........................It does in the IQ ;)

The original BMW Mini Diesels were fitted with a TOYOTA D-4d engine :unsure:

I used to drive the Phase 1 model,a nd have to say Nissan make great cars. i never had a problem with the engine, and it was so quiet, there were times I would try to start it up when it was already switch on!

Thanks :) the photos do flatter it a bit, however I'm really pleased how well it polished up, the alloy wheels I've just fitted improved the looks too,it now stands me at £1260 including purchase price, I've only had it for three weeks and have to say I'm very impressed. :D

Thanks :) the photos do flatter it a bit, however I'm really pleased how well it polished up, the alloy wheels I've just fitted improved the looks too,it now stands me at £1260 including purchase price, I've only had it for three weeks and have to say I'm very impressed. :D

Yeah, In fact i was very impressed with my Micra. It was the first car I EVER had where the doors sahut with a solid "Thunk"! and everything was so well put together. I had two Renault 5s before the Micra, and I tell you after that experience i thought I d never buy a European car again. lol. :D

I ve not got my Aygo yet. I m driving a Peugeot 106 at the moment, and its well looked after but finance, and fuel is now a factor, and I normally do a lot of city driving. I m on here to check out this forum about the Aygo, and a bit worried about the leaking Aygo even more. :unsure:

post-63082-1246403721_thumb.jpg

Ive had mine for near a month, its rained heavily and it got its first wash, not a leak anywhere.

Nice looking 106 :) I drove one once and was very impressed by it, it reminded be of my BMW mini for some reason. Shouldn't you be looking at a 107 ? perhaps you are anyway. Aygo forum is better than any 107 or C1 forum.

I wouldn't worry about leaks either, I may still end up with a C1 in the future if they do more white coloured ones.

Nice looking 106 :) I drove one once and was very impressed by it, it reminded be of my BMW mini for some reason. Shouldn't you be looking at a 107 ? perhaps you are anyway. Aygo forum is better than any 107 or C1 forum.

I wouldn't worry about leaks either, I may still end up with a C1 in the future if they do more white coloured ones.

Thanks for the compliment. Must be a "man" thing but I always keep my motor in tip top condition. Not a scratch or a dent on the body work. How about that for a 7 year old car. I used to drive a Fiat Cinquecento Sporting, and was in the Fiat club. I won Second Place in the Concours.

Yeah, the Phase 2 106 was solidly built for a "budget" car. Its getting on a bit. Like most people. I much prefer the Aygo than the 107. The 107 has a horrid front bumper. Its like a huge smile with no teeth, and then the Phase 2 107 model has a huge smile, and a brace minus the teeth again!

I did take a look at the 107 blog spot, and there are 3 pics of a white Aygo. Very lush. lol :D

• 3 weeks later...

The classic Mini and the Aygo - pathbreaking cars in their own right, and both with very interesting histories.

I must say the Aygo is extremely well-styled. I just bought one today, and looking at it from my living room window makes me think about the sheer genius of design - not just the Aygo's - but most certainly the Aygo's!

• 4 weeks later...

I've only has my new Aygo for a day, but I've been driving around feeling a sense of deja vu.. It felt so familiar but somehow updated.

Eventually, it struck me.. It felt just like my first car; a Mini Clubman!

In poverty spec, the Aygo is simple, has a wheel at each corner, a pliant chassis and it's devoid of fripperies to spoil the enjoyment of driving. I may have power steering and servo brakes now, but this is the spiritual successor to the Mini.

Also; like the Mini, (which was sold under various guises such as the Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet*), it has it's ugly sisters; the C1 and 107.

I'm looking forward to a couple of years driving with a smile on my face :)

* Ask your dad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links