Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 97 Electric Window Problem

Maverick68

Hi, wonder if anybody can help.

My Drivers Side electric window has always been difficult to close, in that you really have to apply lots of pressure to the button when lifting to close the window. Opening has never been an issue, one press and down she goes.

Anyway this afternoon if was working as usual, and then all of a sudden went to open it and nothing, button clicks and nothing happens - no motor sound either. All other windows work fine.

Faint smell of a metalic burning coming from switch too ... I can only describe it as the smell you used to get as a kid from bottom of the Scalextric cars !

Any ideas ? I'm thinking the switch ?

Or pehaps a fuse - if there's one that works only the Drivers side ?

Or maybe the motor itself ?

Is there an easy way of eliminating any of the above ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi, wonder if anybody can help.

My Drivers Side electric window has always been difficult to close, in that you really have to apply lots of pressure to the button when lifting to close the window. Opening has never been an issue, one press and down she goes.

Anyway this afternoon if was working as usual, and then all of a sudden went to open it and nothing, button clicks and nothing happens - no motor sound either. All other windows work fine.

Faint smell of a metalic burning coming from switch too ... I can only describe it as the smell you used to get as a kid from bottom of the Scalextric cars !

Any ideas ? I'm thinking the switch ?

Or pehaps a fuse - if there's one that works only the Drivers side ?

Or maybe the motor itself ?

Is there an easy way of eliminating any of the above ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Possibly a switch contact come loose and shorting? If you have had to apply additional force to the switch previously, it could have been working loose for some time. Though I know my way around the window switches on a 4.3 I am not familiar with connections for your model. Sorry can't suggest anything more helpful.

I think the wiring is the same as the 4.2. so I've added it here. If you suspect the switch you could always bridge the terminals as shown for continuity and then switch the ignition on to see if they operate.

window.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links