Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

It's Always Worth Calling And Having A Bit Of A Whinge....

Karma Supra

I just called up my insurance company to ask why my already high premium went up over £30, when I'm a year older, have a years extra no claims, and my car has lost a massive chunk in its value over the last year...

The lady on the phone ummed and ahhed and blamed the "current climate" for pushing premiums up and said there was not much they could do.. I told them that their sister company had quoted me £100 less, so they "re did" the quote and saved me over £130, without changing anything else at all!

Result :D

Totally agree :thumbsup:

I usually hit some comparison websites, pick the best few and pit them against each other. Sometimes you can save a bundle! :yes:

Only problem is I have to give a fake mobile# or you get 4 zillion sales agents trying to call you!!

I have done that a few times down the years and it always works :yes:

If they continue to ummm then say you are going to 'Churchill'.... and then wait for the lower offer :lol:

I used to be with 'More Than' and got a quote from 'Swift'.... when More Than asked if they could try to compete with my new quote I said it was nearly £270 cheaper.... the lady coughed and said "Sorry but we cannot match that".... I am now with Swift :D

Totally agree :thumbsup:

I usually hit some comparison websites, pick the best few and pit them against each other. Sometimes you can save a bundle! :yes:

Only problem is I have to give a fake mobile# or you get 4 zillion sales agents trying to call you!!

:lol:

i always use my neighbours address, and telephone number when searching for insurance, but a fake name, only ything i keep real is my age, driving hisory etc...

must suck for him, all those telephone call he has recieved :lol:

i hope i dont get into trouble for this :(

my car has lost a massive chunk in its value over the last year...
Car insurance premiums have very little to do with a car's value. Just watch this weeks Top Gear where the team all pretend to be 17 year olds. If the premium was related to the cars value then some insurers expect the car to be written off close to twenty times in twelve months i.e the premium is close to twenty times the cars value.

Insurance is just finance companies playing the horses with premiums. The finance company is basically saying I bet that you won't have an accident (so I can keep all of your premium and make a profit). They work out the chance of you having an accident based on things like age, post code, car type and give you odds (your premium), if they think the odds are in their favour your get a sensible premium if they think they will loose their stake they give you a ridiculous premium.

You get some companies who like to pre allocate the risk to certain markets i.e they have already worked out the odds for certain groups and this is where you will see names like Diamond and Sheila's Wheels targeting female clients. It is still the same parent companies holding the cash and working out the odds, they just pretend they are doing you a favour.

Value does come into play a little more when you are dealing with cars over a certain value, but you are right it is one of the less influencing factors.

I had no luck at all with the price comparison sites, I was getting quotes of £2700 for a 27 year old with 9 years no claims, no points, safe area etc. that's pretty much £2k over whay I'm paying (which still seems a lot to me) It's madness!

What is also interesting is playing with onlne quotes, having parking sensors, stability control and additional airbags hiked the premium up on one quote.... seemed a little odd to me...

I am not looking forward to mine [renewal] at the end of the year :(

I was confirmed as being a little bit Diabetic shortly after my last renewal. I informed the Insurance Co. & they said that they had noted it & would ask for a Medical before my next. Everyone says that I won't be loaded, but I can't help but wonder. :unsure:

Hospital are delighted with the way I've adapted, my diet & my results to the extent that they told me that I needn't return to the Clinic, unless I run into trouble.

I still suspect that if they can see a chance to load me, they will, despite the fact that I've been driving for 50 ish years & have maximum no claims :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links