Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Front Fog Light...

morgie

Hi all - any guide or tips on replacing a front fog light on a pre face lift Corolla? I have the replacement light housing, just need to take a look at the car but thought I'd do a bit of consultation here first. :thumbsup:

Cheers nrgizer....I was naively hoping it wasn't a bumper off job. Used your guide for the back, so I'll try now with the front - thanks.

you should be able to take the undertray out and contort your hand/arm into the bumper space. dont expect it to be easy though.

the time you spend trying to do it bumper on may well end up longer than whipping the blighter straight off.

following on from what ricc said, you could do the following:

jack the car up on the side with your broken light and take the wheel off, then take the clips out from the wheel arch liner and you should be able to get your foglight out.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, will give that a go.

Did mine yesterday, havent had a chance to pm you morgie. If yours is the drivers side, i seriously suggest taking the bumper off as the washer bottle is just behind the fog light and it is a MAJOR pain in the behind to work on one of the bolts...I didnt take the bumper off, it was the driver side and took me AGES!>...

Right, its best to jack the car up from the side your working on... once that was done, i only took 2 bolts off the plastic tray,that should give you more then enough room for you to work on, one bolt is at the front and one is at the egde of the bumper. Take off the plastic surround for the fog light, its got 4 clips, mines just pulled out with a little persuasion. You'll see 2 threads holding the fog light, the bolts to those are behind the bumper, just take a look under the car and you should be able to see where to go from here. If your not taking the bumper off you need to get hold of a rachet spanner 10mm it will make your life a WHHOOLE lot easier as there isnt enough room on either bolt to use a rachet/socket on.

Didnt take any pics sorry but i hope that helps.

Taf

If you are going to head down the under tray removal route, don't do what I did and do it immediately after a spirited drive through country lanes on a wet day - othwerwise things get a bit messy ;)

Thanks TAF, useful info - glad you got yours sorted. Mine is passenger side, so sounds like keeping the bumper on will be the first option for me.

Marc - I'll try and wait for some dry weather - thanks for the warning though! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new fog lamp on today, thanks again for the advice. As suspected with the passenger side it was relatively straight forward (no massive screen wash tank in the way :thumbsup:). Got the wheel off off and then removed one clip and two screws from underneath to get the tray out of the way (also took the front plastic surround from the fog light off). It was then possible to remove the two screws holding the light in place, and then twist the bulb housing to get the old lamp free. Then replaced it with the one I picked up from eBay.

Just in case anyone is looking to do the same I got my replacement fog lamp (for a pre-face lift Corolla) from avscarlampsandmirrors on eBay.co.uk as I struggled to get one from a breakers. I think they still have a few for sale now (here), £27.90 plus £5.99 P&P. All well packaged, promptly delivered. You need to state for which side you require the lamp when ordering. As mentioned in their adverts not all lights come with bulbs, this one doesn't. Not a problem for me as bulb was fine, the glass on my original light was cracked. As they also mention all their parts are new but replacement/copy parts, so not genuine. However, standard of this copy looked good.

I took a few quick photos....

1.) Comparison of the new vs old back and front, perspective is a little out but you get the idea (and see why I needed to change it!)...

01.JPG

2.) Front cover off, about to get the old one out...

02.JPG

3.) Wheel is off to allow access through under the tray by removing two screws and one clip that I mentioned. I don't have a photo showing this, but it's quite obvious if you get under the car...

03.JPG

4.) This is probably the most useful photo, taken from underneath when you have the tray out of the way. On the left highlighted is the first screw to remove to get the old lamp out, the arrow on the right points to where the second screw is (out of site, but if you look at the earlier shots of the lamps you can see where this is). In the middle you see the connection for the bulb, you can twist this gently to release it.

04.JPG

5.) New one in place....

05.JPG

• 1 month later...

So from these photos it looks as if the bulbs can be replaced by just taking the tray of.

Is this right?

Hi Eddie, for the passentger side just taking the tray off should be enough to twist the bulb connector out. As TAF mentions though the driver's side has the MASSIVE screenwash tank in the way, I'm not sure if that's just an issue for just getting the lamp out though - should be a relatively quick job to look.

• 2 weeks later...

Can a 65w bulb go in the fogs instead of a 55w bulb without blowing anything.

Thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links