Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

53 Plate New Ecu!

adama67

Hi, newbie here.

53 plate diesel Rav4 (63000 miles - bought 2nd hand from toyota @ 22000), I have had recent loss of power which is intermittent (engine light on dashboard lights up - goes out on restart). Feels like a turbo problem. Took it to toyota who now want £1200 for a new ECU and spill valve - has anyone seen similar or any advice?

Cheers.

Welcome to the club.

Read the section pinned at the top of the RAV4 section regarding SCV valves.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87986

Cheers!

I will let you know either way what happens.

Paul.

Well, took it to an independant garage (recommended for diagnostics). Outcome is that he replaced the air & fuel filter and added some injector cleaner and the car is brand new. Early days, I will test for a couple of weeks (still dont believe this fix as yet) but.... if this HAS fixed the issue I will not be pleased with Mr T to say the least. It has been driven for around 1/2 hour so far with no issues. I will update on any change.

Hi Paul welcome to the forum.

Had a similar problem two weeks ago on my 2005 diesel Rav with 56000 miles on the clock.

Engine warning light came on and lack of power. Returned home left the car on the drive for a few hours .Back into the car ,warning light still on but power back ok . Drove down to Halfords , bought some injector cleaner .Back into car started warning light now off .Used injector cleaner no problems since.

I did let the fuel tank go very low ,low fuel light came on ,two weeks previously.

Spoke on the phone to Toyota garage who do my sevice and they said if it is still ok leave till next service 60000 and they can check the details of the fault with their computer as it will be stored in the ECU.

Regards

for a couple £ you can buy your own OBD-II reader... google is your friend to find one.

Hi, newbie here.

53 plate diesel Rav4 (63000 miles - bought 2nd hand from toyota @ 22000), I have had recent loss of power which is intermittent (engine light on dashboard lights up - goes out on restart). Feels like a turbo problem. Took it to toyota who now want £1200 for a new ECU and spill valve - has anyone seen similar or any advice?

Cheers.

OK, update here....still faulty.

1.Replaced fuel and air filter as mentioned

2.Run with injector cleaner (1 week)

3.Checked SCV valves (thanks for the pointer both measure 1.5 ohms ok)

Still goes into limp mode. I will check the codes myself with an ODB II reader (going to get one). and rune with additive again for another week.

Any other suggestions welcome.

I have found the Toyota error sheet which they passed on - Diesel spill valves (are these the SCV valves?) and new ECU.

78(8) Fuel Pump system malfunction (short)

89(4) Intereior IC malfunction.

I dont know if these will show up on the ODB reader or give me something else to look at, but I will try.

Cheers for all feedback.

You should get 4 figure codes from a 53 RAV so let us know what you find.

Hi

I have an 03 diesel, code reader won't work on mine. I have one cheap if you need it ? My fault was just like yours, changed the large fuel filter and its been OK since.

mike

Hi

I have an 03 diesel, code reader won't work on mine. I have one cheap if you need it ? My fault was just like yours, changed the large fuel filter and its been OK since.

mike

There have been several cases lately of filters causing problems. Always a good starting point and takes out a bit of routine maintenance at the same time.

Hi

mike

Hi thanks for the reply, when you say the 'large' fuel filter is there more than 1?. I have had the fuel filter already changed small cylinder type.

thanks.

There is a course strainer in the tank but this is the only one you need to worry about;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92108&st=90&p=886270entry886270

Ok, I have tried 2 x OBDII readers with no success, both fail to recognise the ECU comms protocol (memoscan and ELM327). Does anyone know a scanner which works with 53 plate Rav4 D? The rav drove like a tractor today 30mph max uphill (looks like the revs are limited?)

I do intend to post the error code DTC's if I can read them!

Cheers.

You should get 4 figure codes from a 53 RAV so let us know what you find.

P1229 Code - this was obtained by speaking to the mechanic who diagnosed the error (not Toyota).

If anyone can shed any light?

Cheers.

It sounds very much like SCVs. Don't forget they can stick even if the resistance is OK. Have a butchers;

p1229.pdf

It sounds very much like SCVs. Don't forget they can stick even if the resistance is OK. Have a butchers;

p1229.pdf

Cheers, absoloutley outstanding info and service!!

I will have a look at these valves more closely or someone else will.

Many thanks.

There is a course strainer in the tank but this is the only one you need to worry about;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92108&st=90&p=886270entry886270

Ok, I have tried 2 x OBDII readers with no success, both fail to recognise the ECU comms protocol (memoscan and ELM327). Does anyone know a scanner which works with 53 plate Rav4 D? The rav drove like a tractor today 30mph max uphill (looks like the revs are limited?)

I do intend to post the error code DTC's if I can read them!

Cheers.

I can also confirm Memoscan U480 does not work with 53 plate d4d...............ouch.

• 1 year later...

Hi, newbie here.

Cheers.

OK, update here....still faulty.

1.Replaced fuel and air filter as mentioned

2.Run with injector cleaner (1 week)

3.Checked SCV valves (thanks for the pointer both measure 1.5 ohms ok)

Still goes into limp mode. I will check the codes myself with an ODB II reader (going to get one). and rune with additive again for another week.

Any other suggestions welcome.

I have found the Toyota error sheet which they passed on - Diesel spill valves (are these the SCV valves?) and new ECU.

78(8) Fuel Pump system malfunction (short)

89(4) Intereior IC malfunction.

I dont know if these will show up on the ODB reader or give me something else to look at, but I will try.

Cheers for all feedback.

adama67 - how fix the issue about error code 78(8) Fuel Pump system malfunction (short) ?

I discover same error on my rav 4 (2003). I use Mini-VCI and Techstream.

Thank you

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links