Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota To Sell Approaching Vehicle Audible Alert System

Parts-King

August 24, 2010

TMC to Sell Approaching Vehicle Audible System for 'Prius'

Toyota City, Japan, August 24, 2010—Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces that, in line with its efforts to ensure an ever-safer traffic environment, it will begin sales on August 30 of an onboard device designed to alert pedestrians and others audibly to the presence of a quiet vehicle, such as a gasoline-electric hybrid. The device will be available nationwide through authorized Toyota dealers and Toyota genuine parts & accessories distributors for retrofitting on the third-generation "Prius" gasoline-electric hybrid vehicle.

The onboard device automatically emits a synthesized sound of an electric motor when the Prius is operating as an electric vehicle at speeds up to approximately 25 km/h. The sound—aimed to alert but not annoy—rises and falls in pitch relative to the vehicle's speed, thus helping indicate the vehicle's proximity and movement.

The device is designed to meet new Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism guidelines* for hybrid and other near-silent vehicles.

TMC also plans other versions of the device for use in gasoline-electric hybrids, plug-in hybrids, electric vehicles as well as fuel-cell hybrid vehicles planned for launch.

Kingo :thumbsup:

August 24, 2010

TMC to Sell Approaching Vehicle Audible System for 'Prius'

Toyota City, Japan, August 24, 2010Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces that, in line with its efforts to ensure an ever-safer traffic environment, it will begin sales on August 30 of an onboard device designed to alert pedestrians and others audibly to the presence of a quiet vehicle, such as a gasoline-electric hybrid. The device will be available nationwide through authorized Toyota dealers and Toyota genuine parts & accessories distributors for retrofitting on the third-generation "Prius" gasoline-electric hybrid vehicle.

The onboard device automatically emits a synthesized sound of an electric motor when the Prius is operating as an electric vehicle at speeds up to approximately 25 km/h. The soundaimed to alert but not annoyrises and falls in pitch relative to the vehicle's speed, thus helping indicate the vehicle's proximity and movement.

The device is designed to meet new Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism guidelines* for hybrid and other near-silent vehicles.

TMC also plans other versions of the device for use in gasoline-electric hybrids, plug-in hybrids, electric vehicles as well as fuel-cell hybrid vehicles planned for launch.

hi kingo

it will be very likly,knowing toyotas pricing,that it may be cheaper to pay compensation to someone youve bowled over than purchase this kit.

It will be very likely,knowing Toyota's pricing, that it may be cheaper to pay compensation to someone you've bowled over, than purchase this kit.

So young! So cynical! So totally correct!

Though one wonders if there will be a large insurance discount for having one?

Why isn't the Japanese version the sound of Godzilla stomping towards them?

"Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism" is Japanese so I am guessing this is for the Japanese market?

Yes it's for the Japanese market on 30th August but no doubt it will be rolled out around the world if it takes off

This was taken from a press statement and I should have include the link, here it is

http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/10/08/0824.html

You can also view a video (In Japanese)

¥12600 is about £100.

Be good if it was an easy plug in module.

I wouldn't order it if it was an option, I'd rather continue enjoying the look on peoples faces when you go past them entirely silently! It's amazing and very very funny.....

• Like 1

How many people have been run down by a Prius in stealth mode in the last ten years?

How people have been run down by an electric milk float?

Do we really need a product for a problem that doesn't exist.

Oh how awefull!..........Japanese noise "torture"

That sound is almost as bad as the South African Vuvuzellas :eek:

Can you imagine the racket in a town if there were several of them near to each other?

Surely the addition of a simple cowbell would have been cheaper and more friendly on the ears! ;) :lol:

I agree with jan&tone. Folk cannot believe the car is moving but no engine noise. I am still asked "where do you plug it in!!!).

I'm waiting for the customisable version!

Some Star Trek or Doctor Who sound effects would be fun. Maybe a rumbling V8 engine sound? Or a teeny weeny bicycle bell ringing every second? Perhaps an Ivor The Engine shhh tee cuff puffing sound?

Endless fun. Customisable mobile phone are so last century, customisable EV's are soo in. :thumbsup:

I guess this will be the Lotus/Harmann Halosonic?

Must be some sort of link to the throttle position so probably tap into the data bus somewhere?

Maybe they should start selling a device for pedestrians that allows them to turn their head when crossing a road ;-)

But I do like the sound....As long as you can't hear it on the inside :-) I would get it...

Sounds like the elastic band is about to fall off or somebody left the "plug" dangling down on the floor. I find it much easier (and funnier) to:

BLOW THIS

Never mind cows bells, give em a good blast! :lol:

Sounds like the elastic band is about to fall off or somebody left the "plug" dangling down on the floor. I find it much easier (and funnier) to:

BLOW THIS

Never mind cows bells, give em a good blast! :lol:

lol................They are similar to the OE horns fitted on my Mercedes :thumbsup:

Thinking about it, isn't an 'approaching vehicle audible alert system' already in situ on all cars called a 'hooter' ???

Thinking about it, isn't an 'approaching vehicle audible alert system' already in situ on all cars called a 'hooter' ???

Yea but I have to drive down a road in town which looks like a pedestrian zone as its paved with brick and flat curb areas but is actually a road. Of course all pedestrians walk along it and look at you with distane if you sneak up on them. You can't really use your horn on some little old lady aimlessly meandering along this road as you'd probably end up giving her a heart attack. :unsure:

Hence I would be tempted by this noise maker thing - only if you can switch it off if needed!

It won't work on everybody though as I used to drive a London taxi and people would still step out in front of you without looking or listening to their ipod or on their phone. They then turn in surprise if I blasted my horn and give you the obligatory gob full for making them jump! I mean if you can't see a London cab coming with its big yellow light on the front or hear its clattering diesel engine then you've no hope with a hybrid!

Yea but I have to drive down a road in town which looks like a pedestrian zone as its paved with brick and flat curb areas but is actually a road. Of course all pedestrians walk along it and look at you with distane if you sneak up on them. You can't really use your horn on some little old lady aimlessly meandering along this road as you'd probably end up giving her a heart attack. :unsure:

Hence I would be tempted by this noise maker thing - only if you can switch it off if needed!

It won't work on everybody though as I used to drive a London taxi and people would still step out in front of you without looking or listening to their ipod or on their phone. They then turn in surprise if I blasted my horn and give you the obligatory gob full for making them jump! I mean if you can't see a London cab coming with its big yellow light on the front or hear its clattering diesel engine then you've no hope with a hybrid!

hi grumpy

another one of my brilliant suggestions.

stick your head out of window after fixing cow bell around your neck,or if you have passenger give 10% discount to ring hand bell (supplied).

but seriously could you not have a acceptable warning sound fitted with a button to operate as and when when requierd

but seriously could you not have a acceptable warning sound fitted with a button to operate as and when when requierd

unquote

As I said - construction and use regulations state that 'audible warning must be provided' - ie a f...... HOOTER!!!!

This has got to be either a wind-up or yet something else that the cousins across the pond have dreamt up!!!!

You can get a small electric doorbell and place it under the hood (maybe in a plastic bag for protection) - then you just press the button when needed. You can even choose the chime you like :)

http://www.inbrass.co.uk/acatalog/Wireless_doorbells.html

http://preview.tinyurl.com/33k8e4z

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links