Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Idle On 4.3 D4D

benxt5

As above, my rav is idling at around 1100 rpm after start up and continues at this until the engine is fully warm, I.e. Needle ip to about half way.

Is this just because of the cold weather to warm the engine quicker? I thought maybe because of the demand on the electrics, having blowers/heater, rear screen, lights, stereo/nav and heated seats all on!

It does drop to 900ish at junctions but seconds later creeps back to 1100.

It has settled to the normal 700rpm idle at the same point through my morning journey for the last few days and doesn't seem as bad on the return run, adding to my thoughs that this is temperature related.

Any ideas?

As above, my rav is idling at around 1100 rpm after start up and continues at this until the engine is fully warm, I.e. Needle ip to about half way.

Is this just because of the cold weather to warm the engine quicker? I thought maybe because of the demand on the electrics, having blowers/heater, rear screen, lights, stereo/nav and heated seats all on!

It has settled to the normal 700rpm idle at the same point through my morning journey for the last few days and doesn't seem as bad on the return run, adding to my thoughs that this is temperature related.

Any ideas?

You've answered your own question :thumbsup:

Had me wondering when I first experienced it. Not sure it has much effect on engine temp but it does compensate for all the additional electrics demand in cold weather.

Any ideas?

You've answered your own question :thumbsup:

Had me wondering when I first experienced it. Not sure it has much effect on engine temp but it does compensate for all the additional electrics demand in cold weather.

+ 1

My T180 does this hi idle even when warm, on cold days if the climate control temp is above 19c.

My T180 does this hi idle even when warm, on cold days if the climate control temp is above 19c.

Mine is set to 18.5c so sounds similar.

It seems to take ages to warm up too. It took about 7-8 miles this evening over about 20min to warm up properly. I've never owned a car that takes this long.

The climate control has a big effect on idle speed. You will find that once it is moderately warm, turning the climate control off drops the idle down to less than 1000rpm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

since the start of the cold snap my idle is 1100rpm when the temp was -2. The temperature gauge took an age to go up and then it only reached a quarter when it usually reaches half way. I found that also when at a junction, after driving for a good twenty minutes the idle would drop to 900rpm then rev up tp 1100rpm? surely the engine should be warm enough after twenty mins to drop the idle to normal 900rpm ish. It is also affecting the MPG which has dropped below 40mpg for the first time. Is this normal? I had a rav 4.2 which had the idle up button. Does the new rav 4.3 compensate for not having this button?

Thanks for any advice.

Sounds identical to mine. I drive 10 miles to work and it takes 25-30min. The engine is still not properly warm, the needle only about a third of the way up!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links