Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Lagging Slightly

webleymk3

I posted on this a while ago but the post became overcome with oil consumption chat... On that I can report that levels are fine so I'm currently in the clear on that one.

However....

For the second time, my car when under heavy acceleration started to lag tonight. The best way I can describe it is that if felt like the foot brake was being applied on and off but very gently. so much so I looked in the rear view to see if the brake lights were on. I wondered if the cruise control had malfunctioned or something similar. They weren't on so assume it wasn't that...

So, for some reason the car was losing power or rather struggling to gain power. It wasn't linear, it kind of came and went. I dropped down a gear to see if I could drive through it but this didn't work. Once on the dual carriageway I opened her and then found that at 70/80mph it was there all the time. It just struggled to maintain power. I pulled over and cut the engine. Waited 10 seconds and restarted but no change...

I don't think it's the ecu as it is too non linear. I think the engine was being starved of either air or fuel. I had a looks the air filter and whilst it's dirty I'm not convinced it was that. That leaves me looking at the fuel filter... Before I go routing about and getting my hands dirty, what are our thoughts on this?? Anyone had anything similar?

Also, where is and how do get to the fuel filter? Can it be inspected easily and put back or do you change it if you take it off???

I'm due to collect a caravan on Saturday as a favour for the out-laws and I don't particularly want to break down anywhere enroute!!!

Cheers.

Wibblers.... (or "Wobblers" as my iPad keeps trying to autocorrect to!!!)

Right folks. Things have got a whole lot worse.

Car is now undriveable. No acceleration in any gears. Try and rev the car and they start to drop off immediately.

I'm convinced it's being starved of fuel. Any advances?

We'll be taking her in today.

diesel or petrol, sorry

Diesel. Of course the other option is the fuel pump...

So, for some reason the car was losing power or rather struggling to gain power. It wasn't linear, it kind of came and went. I dropped down a gear to see if I could drive through it but this didn't work. Once on the dual carriageway I opened her and then found that at 70/80mph it was there all the time. It just struggled to maintain power. I pulled over and cut the engine. Waited 10 seconds and restarted but no change... ---> that is good confirming a stable issue

I don't think it's the ecu as it is too non linear.----> ECU is not guilty

I think the engine was being starved of either air or fuel. I had a looks the air filter and whilst it's dirty I'm not convinced it was that. That leaves me looking at the fuel filter... Before I go routing about and getting my hands dirty, what are our thoughts on this?? Anyone had anything similar?----> you have to consider it in complex and change both at the same time + exclude them from the bad outcome chain,

Also, where is and how do get to the fuel filter?---> you must ve very accurate to change it. a special pinned section is above the posts as pinned -- wherr you will find a simple tips how to perform such job.

Can it be inspected easily and put back or do you change it if you take it off???---> fuel filter must be changed, in any case -- you will not see its condition if you have no experience yet. besides the injection circuit is an air seal and either air availability inside will give you the same outcome and fuel starvation.

have them changed + have trrials and come back

regards / Igor

.....have just spoken to webblers, and suggested he start with the EGR valve, as it has never been looked at and cheaper fuels may have been used prior to his ownership.

Big Kev

Update.

Green flag agree with Kev. He asked where we buy our fuel and said never to buy from supermarkets!!!

We only buy vpower or occasionally normal Shell fuel now.

Update.

Green flag agree with Kev. He asked where we buy our fuel and said never to buy from supermarkets!!!

We only buy vpower or occasionally normal shell fuel now.

the moral is simple -- one should have the car taken over + have a service record book

i'm about to switch TO supermarket fuels :) now I am no longer on VPower, my economy is up over 10% ,so weasel pee for me :D

Another Rav down, with the supermarket excuse again................Sell it quick :D

"Supermarket excuse"? Wouldn't call it that. But it renound people within the industry say that supermarket fuel is crap then that's good enough for me. I only use 'brand' fuel now and my fuel economy is better as Charlie says. If this issue is with the egr valve then I'm sure it'll be even better.

As intimated previously there has been no oil consumption so the engine itself is fine.

In addition Mrs Wibbler thinks its worse with the engine hot. Seems not to do it when cold.

It might not be as good as V power apparently?, but it certainly wont harm your engine of break it in any way.........they would not sell it otherwise........The fault lies somewhere else 100%

Manufactures lies again.......

Webbers this all sounds too familiar to me................lets hope its something simple, like a fly in the air filter :lol;

Sounds like EGR valve needs a clean.

Weblers.

I would agree to start with the obvios. It takes about 10 minutes to get the EGR off and if you hold it up and can see light then there is the cause. Clean it anyway while it is off but if it isn't stuck go directly to the fuel filter. It had a Denso filter from what I remember which is top notch but it only takes a small amount of dirt or air and it will run rough.

This thread is not here to discuss the merits or otherwise of supermarket fuel. This has been done to death many times before.

I have a problem with my car which I am looking for help to fix. I do not want this thread hijacked with yet another argument.

End of....

Wee update. Egr was dirty with a fine chalky black powder. No slimy stuff. It is now very shiny however the problem remains.

Next is the fuel filter.

Epiphony.....

The fuel level on the car when this started was near-on zero... When i filled her she took 51 litres meaning the 4 litres that were left before filling will have been swirling about in all the sludge at the bottom of the fuel tank..

I'm even more convinced it's the fuel filter now.

I'm going to buy a can of GB244 to run through the system. Will this also disolve any crud in the bottom of the fuel tank???

On a wee side note, after cleaning the EGR valve, the did run smoother (before it started hiccuping again!)

Job for tomorrow hopefully.

Epiphony.....

The fuel level on the car when this started was near-on zero... When i filled her she took 51 litres meaning the 4 litres that were left before filling will have been swirling about in all the sludge at the bottom of the fuel tank..

I'm going to buy a can of GB244 to run through the system. Will this also disolve any crud in the bottom of the fuel tank???

On a wee side note, after cleaning the EGR valve, the did run smoother (before it started hiccuping again!)

One day singing the praises of a GERMAN car, Webz....next day yer car goes on strike....BEWARE YE THE IDES OF RAV....Billy Shooglechib.

Big Poyit

Epiphony.....

One day singing the praises of a GERMAN car, Webz....next day yer car goes on strike....BEWARE YE THE IDES OF RAV....Billy Shooglechib.

Big Poyit

I take it all back.. Japanese is the ONLY way...

BG244 will noit clean the tank out. The pick up pipe sucks from the bottom of the tank all the time so running short shouldn't make a difference to how much crud it picks up but anything that has been collected over a period of time will be in the fuel filter.

RESULT...

So much for the need for a new engine... Fuel filter change completed and the car is like new.

Engine is quieter and that horrible agricultural tractor sound you get when cold is completely gone. I attribute these to the egr valve being clean. There was some serious crud in the the old filter. i'll try and take a photo of it tomorrow.

total cost of repair was less than £9 plus a can of BG244...

Did you take any pics maybe we could pin this under servicing bit?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links