Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tsport Clutch/transmission Issues

thecanadian

As previously discussed in the thread titled - Question From Dutch Cts Owner - A few Tsport owners have had problems with their clutch or transmission, myself being one.

I had submitted my complaint (grinding/whining noise when decelerating at low speeds 2,3 and 4th gears) a couple of times before finally taking a mechanic for a ride in the car. Pretty much upon setting off the mechanic acknowledged the noise.

I am happy to say that my local Toyota garage (Chesterfield) has just replaced my clutch and all transmission bearings under warranty. They did say that they have not had another Tsport corolla with these issues but, have had several Tsport celicas with similar noises as my car and that Toyota has a list of reported issues with the celica that include the transmission/clutch.

Picking up the car tomorrow so, will take it easy for the first 500 or so miles to bed it in. Will keep you posted.

Thanks Toyota!

MY CTS is going in on Friday after i complained about a dodgy gearbox (hard to select gear etc) I will keep you posted

I had the very same problems with my car regarding the grinding noise, it totaly baffeled me to be honest and I had lost all respect for my dealer with all the other trouble. Unfortunately I sold the car shortly after as this was my final straw, I hope these problems are sorted for you guys as I know what a great car the T-Sport is but the niggles really let it down!

Nick

I've had the full clutch system replaced and haven't heard the scraping noise for the time being. For gear selection issue, there's a threadin the aussie forum about having to adjust and fine tune the clutch depression/release and problem solved.

Update:

Picked up the car this morning. Drove to work, about 60 miles all motorway. The decelerating noise (scraping/whining) is not there.

However, there is a new noise! - sounds like air escaping from somewhere - exhaust leak? (perhaps something was not tightened? The noise happens when I press the gas pedal to accelerate...it gets louder the harder I press...so, i'm assuming it may be an exhaust leak?

Perhaps it's just the new clutch and bearings and they need time to wear-in. What do you think? should I take it back in or should I leave it for a few days?

Not happy.

Took the car back this morning due to the noise mentioned above. It sounds like a hole has been punched through the footwell and the exhaust is coming directly into the cabin. It's almost to the point were it's unbearable on the motorway.

Anyway, dropped into the garage this morning...took mechanic for a drive, he noticed the sound, thought it might be an exhaust gasket or joint not tightened. They tightened everything but, the noise is still there and seems to be getting worse!!

Needless to say the car will be going back ASAP!!

On a side note, it seems to be shifting fine. No more transmission noise when backing-off/decelerating. Although, can't really hear anything, including the radio, over the other noise.

You can start to why I decided to make the move across to Honda now, there are just to many problems that nobody seemed to want to iron out!

Nick

Nick,

Funny you should mention that. As I was waiting for them to take a look at my car I found myself looking across at a 54 reg civic type-r in the Honda lot right next door to Toyota....hmmm.

Will give them (toyota) a chance to sort this out first.

Hey Canadian

Just got sick of my problems in my car and have arranged for it to go in on the 25th, strange everytime i have the mechanic in the car all problems disapear :crybaby:

Also have a problem with my CD Player cutting out all the time and crashing, i was wondering do you have a case ref from toyota about this (as you mentioned Celicas have same problems?)

Cheers

Aph :bookworm:

Hey Canadian

Just got sick of my problems in my car and have arranged for it to go in on the 25th, strange everytime i have the mechanic in the car all problems disapear :crybaby:

Also have a problem with my CD Player cutting out all the time and crashing, i was wondering do you have a case ref from toyota about this (as you mentioned Celicas have same problems?)

Cheers

Aph  :bookworm:

I took my car in yesterday and went for a drive with the mechanic, it shifted and braked faultlesly until the mechanic got out and I was on my way home!!!!!!!!!

XTJC,

Sorry, don't know the case ref number. But the service guys at Gordon Lamb Toyota did mention that they have had a few celica Tsports in for warranty clutch replacements...and so used the toyota database on the celica Tsport as a guideline for the rolla. They did mention that they had to call in to get the OK from Toyota head office - which was no problem.

As for the other noise, I'm now convinced it's an exhaust leak. The car is back in this coming Wednesday to have all new exhaust gaskets and associated hardware replaced under warranty.

All in all, slightly inconvenienced but at least toyota are doing something about it. The gearbox noise is definately not there any more. So, hopefully once the exhaust leak is fixed all will be well.

Hope this helps.

Dudes

Yep, I started this discussion and as I can see, I’m not the only one that still has these problems.

And guess what, after three different Toyota dealers and several repairs I have the same new noise issue as the Canadian mentioned. It’s if air comes out of….?? who knows what?

I’m really disappointed about this repair action of Toyota. I contact Toyota Netherlands directly this time. Not through a local dealer. They replied already that they are going to sort out what can be wrong. I lost hope already but I won’t give up. If I had enough money I would by me another car. I keep you guy’s informed what the reaction from Toyota is.

:crybaby:

I took my car in yesterday and went for a drive with the mechanic, it shifted and braked faultlesly until the mechanic got out and I was on my way home!!!!!!!!!

Your gearbox could have been warmed during a short waiting time between your arival to the garage and the test drive?

I have also a very tight/hard shifting, especially in cold weather or cold car. I have noticed that it becomes smooth when I stop the car for 10-20 min and then drive it again! I understand this as a combined effect of very tight clutch pedal adjustment and problematic gearbox lubrication.

Strange that when the Mechanic was in the car the noises never came to light, the noises seem to come and go with my car, used to do it all the time recently the noises were more often than not noticeable, sometimes they are not there.

Definatly when using engine braking and in 2,3 & 4th gears.

Not sure if this is standard noise but mine is making a right low loud noise around 1200 revs almost the noise you would get from no backbox?

Just left with a horible feeling about this car, deciding wether to purchase more waranty or not, My last Corolla needed a new cylinder head fitted under warranty.

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Alright.

I am happy to report that Toyota Chesterfield has come up trumps. All issues have now been sorted and the car is as it should be. Exhaust leak fixed - all gaskets replaced from the manifold back. The exhaust leak noise started after having the clutch replaced, so, i'm assuming that the gaskets don't like coming out and then being re-used.

And, now that I can hear everything else that is going on in the car...I'm happy to say that the transmission noise (grinding/whining when decelerating in 2, 3 and 4 gears) is gone...it's as quiet as new. It even shifts better...you don't have to armstrong it into first!

So, all in all, one happy Toyota customer and Tsport owner!

Cheers.

Has anybody changed the gearbox oil in an official Toyota garage?

If yes, could you please check the invoice for the type and quantity of oil and any additive used?

• 2 weeks later...

Just taken my car in today at the Edinburgh dealers, my gearbox is due for a strip down. i left the copy this thread with the foreman.

This problem only comes around when the car has warmed up, had been 30 or so miles driving then its evident with engine breaking 1st 2nd and 3rd gears, almost a scratch scraping sound from the transmission, sounds like air or something?

also my radio cd has been playing up and is due to be replaced.

Warranty out the end of Feb i think :(

Thinking this must only be a few cars, i hope my engine breaking stlye of driving hasn't made this problem.

That was my car in the Garage the other week, took 6 days to strip down the gearbox and replace some bearings, they also changed over the clutch when they were in there, the guy mentioned that the clutch had a max of 20k left but seemed an idea to have it changed at the same time.

Seems ok so far, gear changes much smoother and positive, not yet heard the dreaded scraping noise.

Also got 1 new radio unit as mine was cutting out.

Fingers Crossed that should be me with repairs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links