Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Dimming Mirror Thing

Gods_gift

Right I have an XT4 and I dont have one but I'd like one but cant stomach or justify the cost with a newborn on the way. I've noticed on flea bay the VW and BMW ones are the cheaper and I was wondering if someone has fitted or used one?

Right I have an XT4 and I dont have one but I'd like one but cant stomach or justify the cost with a newborn on the way. I've noticed on flea bay the VW and BMW ones are the cheaper and I was wondering if someone has fitted or used one?

David (Davrav) has just fitted one Mate...... There is a topic here somewhere ..

David (Davrav) has just fitted one Mate...... There is a topic here somewhere ..

....and he has another one in stock for the sale of, from an Avensis (same mirror).

Big Kev

....and he has another one in stock for the sale of, from an Avensis (same mirror).

Big Kev

Not any more Kev - it's on it's way to Tony Barnsley for a generous donation to SHCM's charity swim...............

Big Kev

Not any more Kev - it's on it's way to Tony Barnsley for a generous donation to SHCM's charity swim...............

And it arrived safe and sound today, thanks Dave . . . . Yet another job to get round to tomorrow . . . if the weather is good

Cooorrrrrr Dont You blokes ever do any work ???....

Ere Kev I was over to Paisley today to pick up a rifle scope ... !Removed! nora are the roads over Your way bad or what ?????

Cooorrrrrr Dont You blokes ever do any work ???....

Ere Kev I was over to Paisley today to pick up a rifle scope ... Bloody nora are the roads over Your way bad or what ?????

I take no pleasure in a total ootsider endorsing what I have griped on about for ages.....when you are through here soon rejoining The Cliquesters I should take you into east end of Glasgow, where you cannot move for Chieftain Tanks training on uneven ground. They were previously based around Yorkshire North, but nobody could unnerstaun what the locals were saying.....

IMAGINE WHAT IT WAS LIKE WITH THAME RUNFLATS ON MATE....!!!!

Big Kev

Big Kev

And it arrived safe and sound today, thanks Dave . . . . Yet another job to get round to tomorrow . . . if the weather is good

I did mention that it's an INTERIOR mirror Tony :huh:

i've got an auto dim interior mirror on the IQ , quite good, does take the glare off, dont know whether i would bother with one on the RAV though.

• 1 month later...

PM sent

I have this on my RAV4 and TBH, I have tried turning it off and on with the little power button and doesn't seem to make much difference.

I have heard that tinted windows makes the auto-dimming feature less effective/sensitive so that could be a factor to consider/check?

Seems to work fine in mine with the tints Hoovie - don't notice any appreciable difference in operation between it and the one in wife's Golf.

Seems to work fine in mine with the tints Hoovie - don't notice any appreciable difference in operation between it and the one in wife's Golf.

I'll have to try a more scientific test I think :)

On the Qashqai they took it away from the standard spec on the top spec versions once they had tints as standard stating they were incompatible?

Right I have bought a 2003 Avensis auto dim rear mirror need a bit of help with wiring the connector. Anyideas on what each of the 5 pins are for?

I was expecting 3 maximum bit shocked to find 5! see pics below

photo2

photo3

photo

I need to do some work in that area tomorrow, so if you don't have an answer before, I'll check out what is fitted to my RAV in terms of auto-dimming connections.

The pin nearest the stalk will need +12v, the adjacent pin needs to go to ground. The other pins could be for a temperature read out, or possibly relate to dimming wing mirrors GG.

You will need to find a suitable connector for those two pins and make up a wire harness long enough to connect as per Anchorman's instructions in the pinned section. I found a suitable connector in a redundant computer and used that along with some shrink sleeving.

Tony Barnsley has the same mirror with a made up connector for the first two pins. I know it works as I made up the connector/wiring and tested it myself before Tony kindlly donated some dosh to SHCM's Swimathon in exchange for it.

Have you fitted it yet Tony?

I have the same mirror in my RAV4, but with the compass display. Only the first 2 pins are used, pin 1 is 12 volts and pin 2 is ground:

mirror-1.jpg

Thanks I'll give it a go. Need to do my anti roll bar link today if the weather lets up.

Done and for the sum total of £20 gotta love fleabay! Took two attempts the thin blue cable where you get the 12v from has good sheafing and the scotch locks I had wouldn't break through initially without some assistance.

Do wonder what those other pins are for, never seen auto dimming wing mirrors on a car before.

If you have the compass variant how do you know? Is there a little black square in the mirror on the right?

Nice one GG :thumbsup:

If compass present it is usually in a small rectangle top right of mirror.

On some mirrors there is a facilty to connect to reverse light so mirror lightens up when in reverse.

Frankly, I can't see why one would be reversing into bright lights but I guess someone thought it would be a useful feature............

Good you got it working :)

I decided to try out the difference between having the mirror switched on and off last night driving round Glasgow around midnight - so lots of glaring headlights around ..... Could really not see ANY difference (didn't have any glare on either setting so just don't get what the setting being off and on is actually meant to do !? )

Good you got it working :)

I decided to try out the difference between having the mirror switched on and off last night driving round Glasgow around midnight - so lots of glaring headlights around ..... Could really not see ANY difference (didn't have any glare on either setting so just don't get what the setting being off and on is actually meant to do !? )

Yeah but Hoovie - driving round the 'hoods in Glasgow at midnight, did you take off your dark glasses at any tme? B)

Yeah but Hoovie - driving round the 'hoods in Glasgow at midnight, did you take off your dark glasses at any tme? B)

Gotta keep looking cool with the Neds roaming round St. Georges St. :D

Finished installing auto dimming mirror to my father-in-laws 2006 Rav4 last friday.

Here are the results.

post-80231-0-36100700-1340603555_thumb.j

post-80231-0-86739300-1340603598_thumb.j

post-80231-0-62176500-1340603656_thumb.j

Mirror is Gentex-187. Bought from eBay and is from 2003 Toyota Avalon originally.

Installation was a breeze as the window mount fit 100%. Only thing left was to route the wiring to center console and find a suitable +12v and ground connections.

Only tricky part was the removal of a -pillar cover but thanks to this forum I eventually got it out.

Mirror works perfectly and looks nice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links