Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 D4D Dmf To Solid Flywheel Conversion

buzlby

Here's my experience with history of the above conversion:

History

75,000 miles - Clutch starts to squeak when changing gear, stiffens, no amount of lubricating pivot points or changing clutch fluid helps. Decide to ignore

96,000 miles - squeak no worse, but starter motor (this is significant) now making some horrendous noise and turning slower, so replaced it as well as the Battery (11 years old!)

99,000 miles - occasional judder on first use of clutch in the morning, fine rest of day

100,000 miles - rattle around biting point of clutch, most noticeable in reverse - diagnosed by two mechanics as DMF going. Checked internet - stories of DMF' s going very quickly soon after this (mainly VW and Transit's), others going for another 60,00 miles (Volvo)

100,100 miles. Clutch and DMF replacd with LuK kit. They appear to be O/E for about a third of all new cars http://www.luk.co.uk/content.luk.co.uk/en/company/brands/brands.jsp

Costs

Quoted £1,300 by Toyota main dealer, £800 by local trusted gargae, and £455 by Kennet Garage services (one man band, Martin Shearman)

Kennet Garage

Went with Martin at Kennet garage. He took considerable effort and time to talk me through the DMF / solid options, and their relative merits / disadvantages. It took him 1.5 days, and during that time cost increased to £551.62 (all in including VAT). This was due to a proliferation of seized bolts which increased the time considerably. Having snapped at least two of the undertray bolts when I was replacing the front bumper a couple of years ago (Lorry tyre blew out on M4 and carcas hit my bumper like an artillery shell), I beleive him. (Before purchase I think my car was stored near the sea for some time).

When the work was done, and before he would accept payment I took the car for a drive, and he also gave me the old clutch assembly, DMF, release bearing etc, demonstrating where the problem was. The DMF was truly knackered, the release bearing rough and the clutch about half worn.

I would use this garge again

With DMF I would be looking at replacing it again in about another 100,00 miles, whereas the solid flywheel should last the life of the clutch. My last car did 250,000 on its original clutch before I sold it, and that was still fine.

Post fitting

100,600 - Starter motor again started to make graunching noise just after starting. Took it back to supplying garage (not Kennet), who replaced it provisionally under warranty. The problem seems to be when the DMF starts to go it produces a lot of dust etc which clogs up the starter motor. Hopefully when the starter motor company get my old starter motor they wont charge, but it seems fair.

Driving impressions

Now at 101,000 miles

Gear changing - possibly minutely worse from first to second, but much better in all other gears especially 4 to 5 which is now a dream

Tickover - this has stayed at around 750 rpm, but is noticeably smoother

Clutch activation effort - This is also much easier. On first test drive I suspected air in the line as the effort was so reduced, guess the stiffness increased gradually and I acustomised to it

MPG - now getting around 3mpg more

Warning - Martin did say that the only thing the solid flywheel didnt like was full throttle dropping the clutch at lights and sprinting away. This seems to tie in with other information that the DMF slightly protects the gearbox from harshness, so possibly it is not designed to take this sort of load. I have yet to find any Toyota cars that have had gearbox problems after this conversion

Conclusion

Am I happy - yes. Both with the improved driving experience, and the service I received from Kennett garge (no connection etc). There is still risk of gearbox damage according to a few (in the vast minority), but the gearchange is a big improvement, especially in town.

If anyone is in the Reading area and wants to see the original clutch DMF etc, please pm me

Hope this helps others !

Buzlby

• Like 2

Title edited

a superb summary ... very useful and interesting read

you said 1st-2nd was ok,... what about pulling away stationary-1st ?

Hi Jumbojake

Stationary to first is also nice and smooth now, but then I've never been one to pull away quicklly, so others may find this different. Much easier around town though

Cheers

Buzlby

• 1 month later...

3000 mile update :ermm: -

Absolutely nothing to report :thumbsup: . Clutch works fine, mpg still around 5 mpg better, much easier to change gear.

Seriously, Toyota shouild have fitted solid flywheels from the start

Buzlby

• Like 2

They wont fit dmfs from factory as they are designed to take the harshness away so that the gearbox doesn't absorb it. A lot of vw based diesels have changed to smf and havent reported any such problems with their gearboxes but it is early days. Toyota will have spent time and tested both options they will have chosen dmf for a reason.

Valvematic i guess toyota went for dmf in gearbox for the money reason as they are a hell of a lot more than just a replacement clutch!;-) i also changed too and its great! car starts and sounds better!

• 6 months later...

10,000 mile plus update :dontgetit:

Still working as good as the day it went in. :clap:

Starter motor graunches a little, no reduction in speed or efficency.

Blasted airbag light came on though (seperate post)

Buzlby

The starter motor will need taking off the car and refurbishing by that i mean the commutator will need a clean with sandpaper as dust on it will have settled due to the DMF issue,not a big job if you have some time on your hands,also check the bushes are not overly worn and finally apply some grease sparingly onto the shaft and gears, result will be like fitting a new starter at greatly reduced cost.

The grinding noise is caused by the motor not spinning as fast as it should be doing which in turn leads to the solenoid not throwing the pinion out far enough so it fully engages on the flywheel teeth as its just catching the edge .

• 2 weeks later...

Those that have the solid conversion installed, which brand clutch kit did you use?

I've seen on eBay there's the LUK solid kits that go around £500, but then there are some no name kits that are £200-300. I was wondering if they are any good.

• 1 year later...

50,000 mile update (total 150,000 miles now)

Nothing

Clutch works fine still, no issues at all. Gear change still OK.

Changed to Dunlop tyres though (cheaper and slightly more economical mpg)

Got rid of the airbag light by taking the bulb out (passed 2 MOT's since then)

Cheers

Buzlby

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links