Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Who Replaced My Door Membranes With Plastic Sheeting?

loulou22

Hi, I have a "water ingress" problem. My car is still under warranty so I took it to my nearest RRG Toyota Dealership garage and they found that the passenger side door membranes had been removed and replaced with some clear plastic sheeting!

They have offered to refit the waterproof membranes & dry the carpet for £500!!!

They have said that because the membranes are missing, that the warranty is not valid to cover this work.

Now, my car has been into a body shop for minor repairs to the driver's side wing. I wrote a complaint to my insurance company to say that the body shop must have removed the door membranes on the other side but the insurance company has not upheld the complaint because the body shop has said they had no reason to have touched that side of the car.

I then went to the police because to report it as theft. I have had the car from new and there are only two possibilities:

1) RRG Toyota have removed & replaced the membranes.

2) The other body shop has removed & replaced the membranes.

The police said that it is not a matter for them and that I should pursue this with RRG & my insurers.

I am just wondering whether any other owner may have had this kind of experience?

Any offers of advice would also be most welcome.

post-139062-0-12432800-1395050992_thumb.

post-139062-0-28077100-1395050996_thumb.

post-139062-0-68196600-1395051000_thumb.

post-139062-0-64523900-1395051004_thumb.

post-139062-0-66667800-1395051008_thumb.

Suppose there is a third possibility - that the membrane has never been fitted to the passenger side.

I would be inclined to write to Toyota, enclosing the photos, and ask for their opinion.

Explain that you've had the car from new, never had any work done on the doors - which I presume you haven't -, state that you have a problem with water ingress, and the dealer isn't helping.

Keep the communication polite and to the point.

But would Toyota have put clear plastic sheeting in its place?

There is a possibility that the car could have been subject to post production rectification presumably at the plant or point of entry and the membrane not replaced. Thing is this is all surmission, so it is difficult to say what has actually happened.

At the end of the day, if you've not had any work done on the doors (bodywork, installation of accessories, etc), I would have thought the most likely reason for the membrane being missing is either a manufacturing error or an error during rectification.

• Like 1

I contacted Toyota I initially contacted them on the online form on the website (www.toyota.co.uk/contactus). I was sent this reply:

Firstly, we would like to apologise for the inconvenience and dissatisfaction you have experienced. This is certainly not the type of service we would expect or want for any of our valued customers.

I can confirm that I have forwarded this on to our Customer Relations Department at Toyota Head Office, and they will be in contact with you shortly with a response.

If you would like to contact them directly, you can do so either by phone, on 01737 367 600, or via email at customer.relations@tgb.toyota.co.uk. Their opening hours are 9am – 5:30pm, Monday – Friday.

Even toyota is known to miss out. I bought a two year old RAV 4 and after 6 months of owning it I realised that the head light jet spray were not working. I complained to the dealer. I still had 6 months of guarantee remaining. After 3 hours of search they came up with the diagnosis, "relay to the jet spray for headlamps were missing" and they said that some one may have taken it out earlier. They wanted 300Euro for searching for the fault and 20 Euro for the relay and some more for mounting it. I immediately got on the phone and complained bitterly to the Swedish Toyota head office who took over the whole expense. They agreed with me that no one has a reason for removing a relay, it must have been missed out during manufacture. They actually only paid the dealer for the relay and fitting it and not for searching for the fault. The dealer was not too happy.

Incidently, the head light washer jet regulations differ from country to country and some do not require them. That explains why it was missed out.

Bottom line: Don't hesitate to complain to the head office. Your pictures tell a clear story. I suspect the body repair shop opened it for some reason.

• Like 1

So I then submitted the following email to them to customer.relations@tgb.toyota.co.uk:

Chronology of relevant events relating to myToyota Aygo Ice-

• 27 Sept 2011- Car new from RRG Toyota Rochdale
  • Sept 2013- Car serviced by RRG Toyota Stockport
  • 02 Nov 2013- Dampness and a damp smell was first noticed in my car (this has been present on an intermittent basis since then).
  • 05 Dec 2013- Car went to KC Autos (Stockport) for bodywork repair to the driver-side following a bump on 28 Nov 13
  • 06 Mar 2014- Car went into RRG Toyota Stockport to have the water ingress problem sorted. I noticed, that when I had put a bag in the passenger foot-well overnight that the contents had become wet. It was this that prompted me to arrange to book my car in.
  • 07 Mar 2014- Received email (with photo attachments) from RRG Toyota Stockport that showed that the passenger-side door had had the waterproof membranes removed and that they had been replaced with clear plastic sheeting only.
  • 10 Mar 2014- Received email from KC Autos that categorically states that KC Autos did not touch passenger-side of the car.
  • 13 Mar 2014- Received email from RRG Toyota Rochdale that states that no work was carried out by RRG Rochdale prior to my obtaining the car.
The car is now at RRG Toyota Stockport and has been there since 09 Mar 2014. I am happy to provide you with further information, should you require it.
I await a response from them.

I had even contacted the police in order to report the missing membranes as a theft (either by RRG or by the body shop that did repairs to the other side of the car), but the police said that this was not appropriate and that I should ask for RRG to investigate.

OK - that's a holding reply which is confirms to you they've received your enquiry. So I would wait a few days, and get back to them using the contact details in the response, if you've not heard any more by, say, Friday.

On all my previous cars, and whenever I have needed to remove the door cards/panels, there has always been a clear plastic membrane, stuck to the door with a sealant, exactly like the passenger door in the OP's photos. The clear one above appears to be professionally cut/shaped to fit and appears to be stuck with some type of sealant.

I have never seen a white (polysterene?) membrane before though.

Is this something unique to the Aygo?

And how does that stop water ingress and from where, as I have often wondered what purpose this clear plastic is for?

I believe the white membranes are what are fitted by Toyota. If anyone can say with certainty whether this is the case, it would be very helpful.

Do all brand new Toyotas have a 5 year manufacturer's warranty?

Do all brand new Toyotas have a 5 year manufacturer's warranty?

Yes.

• Like 1

Where will I find exactly what the warranty includes?

Best to look on the Toyota UK website.

Toyota cars bought from Toyota GB and first registered after 1st June 2010 have the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty. Coverage is detailed in your Service and Warranty book. The rest of Europe has the 3 year/100,000 kilometre new car warranty

• Like 1

My service & warranty book is in the vehicle at my local RRG Toyota so I attempted to find out online. Firstly from this website http://www.toyota.co.uk/ownersinfo/toyota-5-year-warranty-terms Nothing specific here so I chatted online with a Toyota representative:

Thank you for choosing Toyota. A representative will be with you shortly.
Louise: Is a 61 reg Aygo covered by a 5 year manufacturer's warranty?
Louise: If so, should this cover a water ingress problem?
Roustam: All new Toyota vehicles from 2009/2010 onwards include a 5 years manufacturers warranty
Roustam: One moment please, I will check this for you
Louise: I have looked at this web-page but it doesn't explicitly say what is covered. Or, not in a way that I can understand.
Roustam: After checking on our systems, we currently do not hold this info, but what I would suggest is contacting your local service centre
Louise: Can you not find out?
Roustam: Would you like me to locate the nearest and provide their contact number?
Louise: No thanks , I already have it. I am certain that it is covered but I am now seeking help from Trading Standards & they have asked me about the terms of the manufacturer's warranty.
Roustam: I'm sorry the info was not available on our systems, I wish you all the best
Louise: Maybe you should get this info. There are a lot of water ingress problems with Toyotas.
Roustam: I understand and your concern has been noted. It will be passed on to the relevant department and taken seriously
Louise: Thank you.

Think the problem with this sort of 'conversation' is that you're dealing effectively with a call centre, and the staff don't have detailed knowledge. This doesn't only apply to Toyota, but the majority of other car manufacturers.

Back in 2008, when we had an issue with an HT lead on a 2007 Mazda, Mazda UK had their front line customer service staff based in a different building to the Customer Service Managers, who took on individual cases.

I know. The problem is that my service history etc is IN the car that is currently at my local RRG Toyota. I am going to collect it, smelly and damp as it is.

It has just become too inconvenient, arranging alternative means of transport.

I refuse though, to pay to have a problem rectified that is not my fault and could well be a manufacturing issue.

To be clear, the warranty is 5 years / 100,000 mile MECHANICAL warranty, which does not cover items that might be classed as wear and tear

Kingo :thumbsup:

Where will I find exactly what the warranty includes?

Your issue is not with the warranty, your car has a 5year/100,000mile cover that will fix your cat if the fault is related to a manufacturing defect and not caused by wear and tear. In your case the LHF door membrane has been altered from the manufacturers standard effectively invalidating the warranty cover on that door membrane aswell as any subsequent damage caused by the water ingress due to the non standard part, Toyota will not cover this issue as it is not their responsibility.

You need to prove who did make the change, it would be an extremely stupid dealer to do something like this as the membranes are cheap and easily obtainable, it would be an even more stupid dealer if they incriminated their own company.

I have however seen this sort of repair before after the car has had body work, new windows fitted, window tints installed and after items such as modified audio systems and even electric windows fitted.In all of these cases the driver/owner was required to cover the repair costs as Toyota where not responsible for the fault.

• Like 1

Thanks for that.

I have tried complaining to the insurance company but the body shop (that carried out repairs to the other side of my car) has categorically denied touching the passenger side door. My complaint was just not upheld by the insurance company.

I have been in liaison with Toyota head office and they have said that could not have been any fault of theirs.

My car now has MOLD growing on the carpet in the passenger foot well!

Is anyone able to advise me as to what I might do next?

Should I seek legal advice?

are you sure that this car has not been involved in accident before you bought the car? It may be a good idea to get it checked by a body shop (not the same one that is suspected of changing the membrane).

I am sure. I am the first and only registered keeper. The car was brand new when I got it.

I have decided to seek legal advice and have made initial contact with a solicitor.

Incidentally, from where could I buy new waterproof door membranes? I would need two (or one sheet that could be cut into two depending on what size the sheets are- I have no idea) one to go where the speaker goes and one for the door???

This would be in case I get nowhere (which looks increasingly likely at this stage).

I got a t/c from Toyota Customer Service yesterday, the advisor told me that Toyota would not have removed the membranes. I politely asked whether they might have been removed & not replaced during post-production rectification. She immediately wanted to know, "Who may have suggested that to you?"

She said that I would have noticed the water-ingress earlier on. I did suggest that my noticing would have been dependent on a number of factors (not least- the weather/ which way the car was usually parked/whether it had been parked in a garage usually/whether or not I had chronic sinus problems that affected my sense of smell etc.etc.) but she didn't seem to accept any of what I said.

I asked her ultimately to put the bulk of what she had told me in an email (just so I would have a name & time-stamp), she agreed. As yet, I have received no such email.

Now reaching total exasperation!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links