Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Who Replaced My Door Membranes With Plastic Sheeting?

loulou22

Is anyone able to advise me as to what I might do next?

Should I seek legal advice?

To be honest? Going to a Solicitor is madness, think of the money you are going to pour down the drain and line the pocket of yet another law firm.

I think you are going to struggle to get anywhere with that, why not put that money into getting the car repaired and move on? No good was ever done by going legal, you think your dealer charges are high, ask how much your lawyers fees are?

I know you feel hard done to and want someone to blame, but I think going to a Solicitor is a waste of money, not what you want to hear but an honest appraisel of your situation

• Like 1

I have to agree with the above, don't get involved with solicitors, that
will get expensive and the chances of you winning is to say the least is
remote.

Get the door membranes replaced for the proper ones by a dealer, then you

have some recourse to complain if there is still a problem.

I know it's annoying, in fact it's infuriating, but never the less, choose

the cheapest, easiest way out, it's much better to swallow it and then forget
it. Been there, done that and have the track suit!

Hi, i have taken the liberty of copying and pasting the PM's i have sent you as i still feel this is your best route. I have seen other 'cases' on here and the bottom line is 'buyer beware'. Yes unfortunately your car may not of been delivered to you as it should of been but winning this case, the money it will cost you without a g'teed positive result will result a lot more than the dealers £500 quote and that of course is higher than my suggestion to come to a satisfactory ending without you having to dip into your pocket too deeply. Hiya, i have read all of your post and it seems you are being spun round in circles and it doesn't look like you will ever find out why a membrane isn't fitted. My best suggestion, buy a membrane, even pay the Toyota dealer to fit it if a) you can't or a friend or B)Toyota won't warranty it unless they fit it then i suggest you purchase a humidifier and leave it on onside your car, from Screwfix or similar, yes i know they cost £150 but at least you get to keep it afterwards and i don't know if you know you have to have the car 100% closed up otherwise you will just be trying to suck in the clouds so to speak, if you pass the lead through the window then seal it up with masking tape where it will be open just a few millimetres for the cord and leave it on for a few hours at a time and see how much moisture the machine draws out of your car. I have a boat, lol, and i use a dehumidifier to keep it damp free inside, they work well. £500 for a dealer to do the membrane and dry the car our seems a lot and i feel a big chunk of that quote is drying out the carpet which is relatively easy to do yourself as long as you can leave your car plugged into a 13A electric socket say overnight? I'd be interested to read how this post goes? Mike169

Hi again, i have re-read my email to you and i see i put 'onside' your car but i guess you realised it was a typo, of course i meant 'inside'. Just to say i am nothing to do with Toyota apart from owning one..................the membrane part or the job i feel is the relatively cheap bit, certainly buying it, if Mr T says they have to fit it re warranty then let them but i am sure you are capable of firing off an email to customer services about your displeasure you might get some sort of good will gesture in return. I believe all Toyota cars come to this country very basic and the extra's are put on here, by the dealer or sometimes a central service centre, you will never find out in reality, electric windows, mirrors and other door accessories etc so i am guessing someone left it off if you have any door extras?

The solution i suggested at least you get to keep the dehumidifier to use in your house afterwards. I feel you are in a no win situation so it's how to get your car sorted as cheaply as realistic, doing a proper job in the process...............i would feel gutted giving Mr T £500 if the majority of that was drying my car out.............don't forget to get prices from your dealer to supply and fit or supply only asking about warranty. Oh about dehumidifiers, you can't use them if the temp. is 5oC or lower as they sorta freeze up and it will break it, apart from that they are brill!

Regards Mike169

The membranes will cost you £22

Hi Kingo, is that £22 per door or £44 for the two...................and have you any idea if a Mr T technician has to fit them to maintain the warranty or is DIY allowed and if so, trying to Lou out what would be the labour costs involved price wise, approx is fine?

Regards Mike169

£44 for both sides

I think we have already established they will not do this under warranty, so fitting them DIY is not going to void anything else, you cannot void the whole car warranty for a DIY job on the membranes. Removing the door trims and fitting membranes is not a big job, maybe an hour or so for both sides

The costs given elsewhere on here will be for removing the carpet and drying it out, a far bigger job and that is why the price is quite high

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have now got a dehumidifier, Mike169. It runs off the mains or off the car Battery (via cig-lighter, of course).

Where can I get 1 x closed-cell foam door membrane and what is the product number?

Where can I get 1 x closed-call foam speaker membrane (product no. #PZ473-90240-01)?

• Like 1

Hi Lou, best decision i think to be honest :clap: About 3 posts above this one is a post from Kingo, he's a nice man who is a bit of a parts guru, lol, on here and will tell and sell you straight what you need. If you send him a 'personal massage', click onto his profile to find the tab if need be, you will need to tell him your reg. no. and maybe a phone no. for you and i am sure he can sort you out the right way without ripping you off.

Oh and 'thanks', regards Mike169

Hi again Lou, not meaning to quote the obvious but i suggest you start using your dehumidifier before you fit the door membrane(s) otherwise of course you will seal in any moisture in the door area itself if you fit the spare parts first. I am unsure what dehumidifier you have but another comment is that i would imagine on 12 volt it would use a lot of power from the Battery flattening it quickly and if you intend using it on it's own with the car locked up you will have to test first to see if your cigarette lighter socket is live all the time or if you need the aux/ign. on in which case you might not be able to leave the car unattended and your insurance will be invalid if the keys are left in the car.....maybe use it whilst you are driving if it can be safely located? The 240 volt option would possibly work better if that is possible at all?

Mike

• Like 1

£44 for both sides

I think we have already established they will not do this under warranty, so fitting them DIY is not going to void anything else, you cannot void the whole car warranty for a DIY job on the membranes. Removing the door trims and fitting membranes is not a big job, maybe an hour or so for both sides

The costs given elsewhere on here will be for removing the carpet and drying it out, a far bigger job and that is why the price is quite high

Kingo
Please could you tell me how much for 1 x closed-cell foam door membrane & 1 x speaker membrane (part no #PZ473-90240-01) for my TOYOTA AYGO (AY1) VVT-I ICE 3 DOOR HATCHBACK 998cc (2011) PETROL?
Do you send parts? If so, how much for postage?
Thank you.

Why not use a cheap electric heater with a fan and a thermostat instead of expensive humidifier? I used it to dry out my Aygo boot and it worked very well. I wiped out all the water and left the heater on with the car window partially open (inside a garage) and the next day it was bone dry.

Although heaters can dry out a specific area and probably very well a dehumidifier will draw the moisture through the carpet fibres and the entire inside of the car extracting every bit of moisture it can get hold of to a point of keeping the condensation clear off the inside of the windows without using heat so no issues about scorching say a pieces of internal trim of course only adding to the price of the job.

On my boat i used to use heaters to dry it out, they work to a degree although expensive by comparison to run, other people convinced me to buy a dehumidifier, it worked so well i bought a second one, one for the main quarters and one for the bedrooms.

With respect and regards Mike169

I got this reply in writing from Toyota:

I was sorry to hear of the issue with your vehicle but I regret to advise you that the fault is not something which can be encompassed under the terms of the Manufacturers Warranty. We have been advised by RRG Stockport that there is a membrane missing from the front passenger’s door. We believe that if this was an item missing from the time of manufacturer, water would have entered the vehicle soon after purchase. Clearly on this matter we are not able to afford you the answer you want to hear which is regrettable and for which I realise does not meet your expectations of the Toyota brand.

I think I have to admit defeat on this one!

I now have the dehumidifier on and the membranes on order. Thanks again for the advice people.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links