Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.8 1997/8 7A-Fe Belts

truthteller

Hi, driving the inlaws r reg Avensis and heard a weird noise,the only way I can describe it is that a load of acorns were falling onto the roof ???????? weird!!!! eng management came on fleetingly...... the car was ok for a few days then the missus drove just round the corner and car just stopped.

It turned out that the cambelt had somehow sheared lengthways and all the other belts had gone....... I guess one of the belts had snapped and had got snared in the timing belt area hence the weird noise and parts of the belt/s had got under the timing belt and it had jumped a few notches....pulled it all apart and ordered new belts,had to replace the timing belt without undoing the tensioner as the bolt was chewed.........jeeeeeez that job was a pain in the a@@@ pulleys had to be removed and all nuts and bolts were only accessable to a contortionist :hang:

I have got the power steering belt on and the timing belt on ......the next belt is the aircon belt and I'm not sure I have bought the correct one as it doesn't seem to go round the pulleys and idler/tensioner,i have scoured the internet and cannot find ONE diagram or photo of how the belts are meant to be fitted............can anyone help me by posting a diagram or taking a photo of the belts in situ.....it would help me no end........as you probably can detect I aint no mechanic but do have enough knowledge(just) to complete this task..........I have not touched the car for a few days as its too cold out there on the drive but before continuing I did start the car to check the timing was all ok and it seems fine....just need the diagram/photo for when I next venture onto the driveway :hammer:

Much appreciated if anyone can help....

Ahhh thanks.........hmmmm gotta feeling the aircon belt ive got is to small ,there doesn't seem to be enough room to get the belt round the tensioner..........

Hi Paul,

Make sure the air-con belt is 4PK860. This is the belt fitted on my car.

You have already fitted the power steering belt. Next should be the air-con belt, as it is the inner belt.

Undo the center bolt on the idler pulley wheel to unlock, then turn the top bolt loosen the tension or move the pulley in to allow the belt to be fitted. Then adjust the idler pulley top bolt to tension the belt. 9 cm deflection between the crankpulley and the air-con compressor. Lock the centre idler pulley bolt.

post-76861-0-86840000-1396079977_thumb.jpost-76861-0-11558200-1396080009_thumb.jpost-76861-0-90339600-1396080124_thumb.j post-76861-0-03131800-1396081312_thumb.p

I assume you know the alternator belt set up. This is fitted last. It is 5PK970 on my car.

The pictures were taken August 2012 when the crank pulley failed.

Konrad

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Konrad,I have just fitted the belts and tightened all the nuts/bolts............jeeeez some of those were a nightmare to get to.......... :dontgetit:,I had to leave out the bottom casing round the timing belt as it had disintegrated and I couldn't be a###d to get another one,seems to be ok on test drives but I do have the engine management light staying on,i'll get that turned off when I see a mate who's got the gear............ I guess its come on as ive been fiddling around near the crank sensor???????? anyone know????

Paul.

Check out my posts. Pre 2001 cars can provide the code using a paper-clip or wire, as jumper between pin 4 and pin 13 on the OBD socket. Turn the key to IGN but do not start the engine.

The EML will flash two sequences of codes - 21 is two flashes, pause, then one flash. In this instance the O2/leanburn sensor has thrown the code 21.

Early Avensis are not always compatible with some readers, so the self diagnostic is very useful.

I hope the cam and crank timing is okay, when the belt was replaced.

Konrad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links