Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Member Toyota Prius T1 Spirit 2005 - No Manual

Taps

Recently bought a Prius T Spirit 2005 and the dealer had no manual to give to me. So, does anyone know if there is a rain sensitive wiper function on this model? The windscreen looks as though it is rain sensitive but no option on the windscreen stalk.

Also, is there a dimmer switch for the instrument cluster? I get reflection in the windscreen when night driving.

So far, vey pleased with the vehicle but today, after a week of ownership and only a couple hundred miles, the front valence dropped and caused a very frightening noise, so I need to get this fixed, any ideas what fixings and where to get them (am waiting for the dealer to call me back and advise me regarding the warranty)

Thanks!!!

Taps

:fireman:

My '07 Gen 2 T-Spirit didn't come with auto wipers, so I'm guessing yours didn't either.

There is a dimmer for the instrument cluster, it's a four or five step push button job not a dial. For the life of me I can't remember where it is, but it is there.

As for the screen reflection, that's been a Gen 2 niggle for ages now.

Check out www.priuschat.com under the Gen II tab. Our U.S. cousins came up with some interesting 'fixes' for that.

• Like 1

On the Gen 2 there is no Auto wiper option - when set to intermittent, the inner ring varies the delay between sweeps.

The stepped dimmer for the instrument lights is one of the buttons to the right of the hazard switch.

• Like 1

Believe me, you wouldn't want auto wipers anyway - pain in the a**e IMHO! Much better off with variable intermittent function, which I dearly wish mine had.

• Like 3

Probably another Marmite thing - I'm with Duffryn, don't like them, and annoyed on cars that have it to lose the variable intermittent function, which I use a lot on my T3.

• Like 3

I'm with you two. Had auto wipers once and never again - unless I have no choice. They're totally useless. I'm sure they work in the workshop when designing the car, but rain isn't as uniform as from a hosepipe or spray gun and thus the autowipers either work correctly (most of the time if I'm honest), work too little (when you actually need them) or work far too often (when you don't). You end up switching them off and on again to reset them more often than if you adjusted the manual intermittent type.

Much easier to have a manual intermittent option where you can adjust the timing yourself. IMHO.

• Like 2

I get all these points but it's not just about "timing" as such and I agree with Pete that it's probably a "marmite thing" where auto wipers are concerned. I also must admit to being a little sceptical when I found out that they would be on our new Yaris with the specs we had gone for...

However, I must also admit to being pleasantly surprised after leaving them in auto for quite a bit over the holiday period and all the inclement weather that that included. I was quite surprised to find that it wasn't just sensitivity (to rain) and timing that gets altered but even the speed of wipe too.

For example, there were several occasions on the motorway when we suffered the ubiquitous "wave of water" coming from the side of an articulated truck as we passed it in the outside lane and the auto functioned admirably as it switched the wipe speed to high very quickly for several wipes to clear the screen efficiently and dropping down in speed and time progressively as we passed the offending article... Perhaps there has been some adjustments to the operating parameters in the newer models now?

I am beginning to leave them in auto most of the time now if I'm honest and they seem to be doing a great job without me having to think about it... :clap:

• Like 1

I'm sure they work for a lot of people, it's just that unlike many options where you're no worse off if you choose not to use them (like cruise control or automatic headlights), every car I've driven with auto wipers loses the manual control to vary the intermittent wipe feature.

I couldn't fault the auto wipers ability to deal with varying rain and spray on a Micra my partner used to have.

Once set to my sensitivity preference, and when they weren't operating continuously I just found myself constantly starting to think the wipers should do a sweep, and get ready to manually override them, and just as I made that decision they operated exactly as I would have done manually - they were too good! But they also failed to deal with streaks of water running off the roof, and needed it prod of the stalk.

I guess it's as much a 'defect' in the way my brain works, I just know I don't like it and don't seem to be able to get used to it.

Auto Headlights

Auto headlights is another one I would choose not to use - on a recent Lexus NX test drive, they turned on automatically on a dull afternoon when I went under some overhanging trees, and I noticed someone waiting to turn into the road in front of me momentarily start to move because he (presumably) thought I was letting him out - fortunately, he quickly realised the headlights had been turned on (and the daytime running lights turned off) and only moved about 6 inches - if he'd carried on it would have been 'interesting'! (doing about 45 mph on damp road surface at time)

• Like 2

One member who had problems with their auto wipers not working correctly found that by disconnecting the sensor, they reverted to standard wipers with intermittent settings - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/tutorials/article/37-possible-fix-for-faulty-auto-wipers/

• Like 4

Wow! Many thanks for that - great to know about if I upgrade to a model that has them.

I understand that all the gen3 Prii can be converted to automatic headlights by changing a wire in the fusebox (can't remember if it was taking it out or changing its position). Apparently the sensor is on the top of the dash and already adjusts the display brightness. If I recall, there relays and things are already there too. I never looked into it further as I'm not a fan of auto headlights for the reasons given above. They work when you don't really want them, but not in fog when they'd be handy.

Maybe I'm getting old.

I think you'd have to change the stalk switch as well because there's no AUTO position on it.

Funny that auto lights should be mentioned cause there I do have a problem with the way they've been implemented. A legal requirement for any car travelling along in driving rain or falling snow is for dipped headlights to be on for the duration of either. Ordinarily because of falling light levels, this isn't usually a problem for the auto light functionality but I have noticed that on occasion when the sun still manages to keep the light levels up at the same time, auto doesn't turn on the lights.

Funny really because given the myriad of ECUs on my Yaris, I would have thought it easy enough to implement the lights switching on from the auto wiper functionality or a combination of both to cure that requirement...

Funny really because given the myriad of ECUs on my Yaris, I would have thought it easy enough to implement the lights switching on from the auto wiper functionality or a combination of both to cure that requirement...

Agreed, as soon as wipers have been used for anything other than 'mist' or 'wash/wipe' then in my opinion dipped beam headlights should be operated by the car, and remain on until the journey has ended. Would put an end to the number of vehicles in the rain without any lights or just side/position lights on.
  • Like 1

It would also help of course if Toyota wasn't so obtuse as to the meaning of the customisation settings for the auto lights! Going from -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, the 0 is of course obvious but "minus" what and "plus" what?? Sensitivity or light level?! It would help to know which! lol! There is absolutely NO explanation or clarification in the full manual at all and it's not the sort of thing you can "try out" quickly and easily either! I've tried both extremes and it doesn't seem to make any difference either way anyway... :ermm:

My 2002 Peugeot 406 had automatic headlights and they would switch on with the wipers were activated. If they could manage that then, then surely Toyota could manage it now.

One scary note with the Peugeot automatic lights though. I remember turning right onto a busy and dark A road at night (no street lights). There was a car coming to my right some distance off. I pulled out and stalled. When the engine cut out so did all the lights as it was on the Auto setting. I was sat in the dark in the middle of a busy road with no illumination for the on coming car to see. An accident waiting to happen. Started the car up, the lights fired back on and away I went. But it was a dangerous design fault for the lights to totally cut out like that when stalled. If I was on manual headlights they at least switched to side lights if you stalled.

Hmmm, I remember why I now buy Japanese? lol

• Like 1

Be aware that the US gen2 was slightly different to the rest of World models. They had a weird bladder in the petrol tank which caused all sorts of problems, thankfully it was on the US market only. The US spec cars also had drum brakes at the rear whereas ours had discs all round.

Some other issues are that their doors automatically lock when setting off but ours can't (I'm sure this is correct but might be wrong) and that their headlight settings are slightly different. Ours go to from headlight to sidelight when the ignition is switched off, theirs go off totally. I also think they have "follow me home" headlight setting.

Any queries just ask away.

I used to think if I got a car with auto headlights I'd leave them on auto as a backup in case I forget to switch them on at the right time (slightly more of a risk now I have daytime running lights - I used to have dipped headlights on all the time I was driving, day or night, since the very convincing statistics from Scandinavia in the 1970s when they made all day lights a legal requirement).

However, after the incident I mentioned above where on a test drive the lights came on unexpectedly and someone wanting to turn in front of me appeared to nearly mistake it for a "I give way" flash, I think I'll leave it off and decide for myself when to switch them on or off.

I like help with a lot of things (like cruise control), especially those that provide safety backup like ABS, stability control, and the like, but for things like wipers and lights I think I'll stay in charge!

Just got back from a 15 mile drive in the rain, and amazed at the number of vehicles driving without lights on. I wonder what their insurance company's response would be if they unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident?

Is it actually the law, or merely 'advisable' to have lights on in inclement weather?

I realise we're going a bit off-topic here, but motorbike lights (or not) is another sore point with me.....

Their insurance is fine. People forget. You'd hate to have a claim thrown out because you forgot to switch your lights on one evening and then hit someone.

That's what insurance is for; people doing stupid things or making mistakes. Nobody sets out to have an accident.

I agree that it is prudent to switch at least your side lights on in rain but many don't bother. How many fools don't use their headlights in fog? or the other fools that switch on their rear fogs in a little drizzle? The world is full of them. That's also what makes it interesting :)

Their insurance is fine. People forget. You'd hate to have a claim thrown out because you forgot to switch your lights on one evening and then hit someone...

sure, I don't think they would refuse a claim, but it may well influence the outcome regarding responsibility, which can affect your premium and discount.

Is it actually the law, or merely 'advisable' to have lights on in inclement weather?

It is the law. You'll find all the different circumstances covered here...

http://www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237/overview-226

I guess the only problem with that is how many drivers can judge 100 metres accurately?

• Like 1

I guess the only problem with that is how many drivers can judge 100 metres accurately?

Based upon how many often have front or rear fog lamps on in little more than a haze then not many at all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links