Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris First Road Test Report

Parts-King

How come it only has 7 airbags? I thought some of the current Yaris had 8. Or am I wrong?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parts-King

• Lorna2

• BassaJay

• Cyker

How come it only has 7 airbags? I thought some of the current Yaris had 8. Or am I wrong?

Our 2007 Yaris has 9 Airbags!

Lucky me I've driven the new Yaris this afternoon !!

It was a 1.33 SR version with 3 doors.

I've got all the details here in front of me.

It has front,side ,curtain and drivers knee air bags.

The door trim has 2 tone coloured plastic panels with a small insert of fabric on the door pull. The dash is plastic but I would not call it soft to the touch. It is far better than the previous model being more sold and finished with a 'drag' texture. The dash layout is very simple but really good, if a little higher than the old model.

As for driving it is much quieter but the performance was in my opinion not any better than the previous 1.33 model. Obviously I did not race it on the road but did take it up to nearly 70 on a duel carriageway. The road holding was much better than the older version but the price at £13,260 ( exc. metalic ) for the TR is I think quite expensive.

All in all a big improvement on the old model. I did fill in a questionaire after the test drive giving my opinions.

The new Yaris actually looks quite similar to the Auris at the front and back.

How much lower? My one's nose already kisses the ground over the bigger speed humps and certain hill angled roads!! (The Shell fuel station on Green Lanes/Wood Green's exit is a good example; Have to exit at an angle otherwise SKRRRRK! :crybaby:)

As for driving it is much quieter but the performance was in my opinion not any better than the previous 1.33 model. Obviously I did not race it on the road but did take it up to nearly 70 on a duel carriageway.

The torque has been optimised to provide the best balance of low and mid range torque, throughout the rev range. This is where you will feel improvement, in the urban rather than motorway environment

Kingo :thumbsup:

the gear ratio's have also been changed.....take the old 1.33 and put it up against the new one and the old one wont catch it....far better gearing in the new one..

Saw the new one in the flesh today, looks OK and decent cabin. What amazed me was how can a car with Sat Nav, HFT and in the case of the top spec T Spirit with its panoramic roof, dual zone climate control and even power rear windows (WOW!) still get drum rear brakes and have DRLs on the options list. Incredible, Toyota in the dark ages. How to spoil a very nice little car.

Saw the new one in the flesh today, looks OK and decent cabin. What amazed me was how can a car with Sat Nav, HFT and in the case of the top spec T Spirit with its panoramic roof, dual zone climate control and even power rear windows (WOW!) still get drum rear brakes and have DRLs on the options list. Incredible, Toyota in the dark ages. How to spoil a very nice little car.

The Drum rear brakes are more than adequate to ensure a very high level of brakeing efficiency!

The floor pan of the new Yaris is the same as that of the Verso S which has rear drum brakes which are well balanced and give a controlled and progressive brakeing effort

Do not get caught up in the idea that all modern designs of cars must have disc brakes all round. disc brakes on the rear of small to medium cars are not necessary and indeed can cause more problems to the owner through underuse with the resultant problems of corrosion and seizing

It is highly unlikely that any owner of the new Yaris will ever find that the system of disc at front and drums at rear will ever let them down.

As for Daylight Running Lights there is not currently a requirement for new cars to be so fitted, therefore Toyota have decided not to include them on current basic spec, but to offer it as an option to those who feel that they cannot do without them!

Yeah, I'd rather have drums than discs on my rears; Rear discs only get enough of a work out on bigger heavier cars to stop them just corroding!

As for the DRLs, again I hate hate hate them so the fact that they are an option is a plus IMHO.

BassaJay - I have had 2 Yaris, both obviously with rear drum brakes and ventilated disc front brakes, and I had no problems with my brakes,so I don't mind that the new Yaris also has the same brakes. I've heard that a lot of other cars also use rear drum brakes.

I have noticed that the iQ comes with rear discs though I don't mind the fact my Yaris has rear drums, they do the job, even if they don't look as good as discs glistening under the alloys. Though don't you get discs if you opt for stability control?

Also, what is the point of Daytime Running Lights? Are they part of an up-and-coming new legislation or something? Or was it an Audi signature dish that caught on? I'm sure I read somewhere ages ago that an MP wanted to pass a law which required all our cars run with their headlights on even during daytime hours . . what a stupid idea. It certainly wouldn't have helped with all the talk of 'going green', that's for sure. I'm glad they're not a standard fit as they'd just ruin the look of the Yaris - in my opinion - as they do on the Astra, Golf and of course the Auris HSD among others. The worst thing about them is that some incompetent drivers may feel they're bright enough to be used as headlights while forgetting the fact that there's no tail lights illuminated!

Parts-King, do you know when dealers will be getting the new Yaris or is it out already?

The last time I had rear drums on a car, large or small was decades ago. As to DRLs, whether you like them or not :-

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS UK LAW

Daytime running lights (sometimes referred to as DRLs or daylight running lamps) are low-wattage bulbs that are fitted to a car to improve visibility during daylight hours. The new daytime running lights law* means that all new cars must be fitted with the lights from 7th February 2011.

The Yaris ones certainly look like the add on/after though which they are. They should be standard fit with integration into the headlamps or fogs either via either low wattage bulbs or LEDs. They can be turned off in most cars so there is a choice - until they become a legal requirement.

AND what earth is the point of dual zone climate control in a supermini.

Sorry but it appears to me that Toyota have got their priorities wrong with this car and spoilt a potential best supermini.

I really like the look of the new Yaris inside and out but do agree with comments about the lack of built in daytime running lights and the climate control. I really don't understand how dual zone climate control is needed on a car that small given the costs of the extra sensors and computers to run two different temps. Would rather have single zone climate control and get heated seats or cruise control which you can on most of the competition the only obvious thing which is lacking from the new car. Also does anyone know if the new Yaris gets the anti hijack like vw group cars and most others where the doors lock when travelling over 10mph and unlock when ignition is switched off something missing from Toyota's for such a long time.

Parts-King, do you know when dealers will be getting the new Yaris or is it out already?

Demo models are being delivered now, sales begin 15th September, most dealers will have at least one by now

I really like the look of the new Yaris inside and out but do agree with comments about the lack of built in daytime running lights and the climate control. I really don't understand how dual zone climate control is needed on a car that small given the costs of the extra sensors and computers to run two different temps. Would rather have single zone climate control and get heated seats or cruise control which you can on most of the competition the only obvious thing which is lacking from the new car. Also does anyone know if the new Yaris gets the anti hijack like vw group cars and most others where the doors lock when travelling over 10mph and unlock when ignition is switched off something missing from Toyota's for such a long time.

Other small cars include dual zone climate control such as peugeot 207 sport, I know this as a friend has one. You say you want heated seats - what for? The seats are fabric with only a small amount of leather which is on the edge of the seat where you wouldn't be sitting anyway. As its fabric seats why would you need them to be heated? Fabric is not cold to sit on.

As for cruise control, if I had it I wouldn't even use it.

I see you mention anti hijack being in VW and 'most others', its actually not in 'most others' but some. Anti hijack where the doors lock if the car is travelling over 10mph, a car is more likely to be hijacked sitting at the traffic lights/a queue or in a carpark, not when travelling over 10mph. You hear on the news of hijackers targeting parked cars, not ones on the move. I'd say hijackers would have bother hijacking a car that is travelling at speed. I see you mention the anti hijack in VW unlocks the doors when the ignition is switched off, the hijackers could open your door and jump in and steal the car then, as the car is parked and the doors unlocked. That sort of anti hijack function is nothing but a novelty and marketing. I can sit in my Yaris and lock the doors if I want, then unlock them when I choose, meaning I can sit in the parked car with the doors locked if I want, unlike this anti hijack function you mention.

Do heated seats impress me? No

Does anti hijack which only works at above 10mph and doesn't work when the car is parked impress me? No

Does cruise control impress me? No

Sounds like VW would have to try harder to impress me.

Yaris does not have an anti hijack feature, it MIGHT be programmable, like Verso, Prius etc where the doors lock going over 10 MPH, BUT they do NOT unlock when stationary. As Lorna says, to me that is not a feature I like, some do, but its not for everybodys taste

From the braking point of view ALL Yaris have VSC, it has to have VSC to get a 5 star Ncap rating under the new system. From my marketing guide

High-performance braking.

ABS with EBD and brake assist (BA), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) are provided as standard

Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)

ABS helps you maintain control during sudden heavy braking or when braking on a slippery

surface by electronically balancing the braking force between all four wheels to match the

level of grip of each one. EBD complements this by optimising brake force distribution

between each wheel. Together the two systems help prevent the wheels from locking and

allow you to steer around obstacles as you come to a halt

Brake Assist (BA)

BA automatically supports emergency braking if the brakes are applied quickly but without

sufficient pressure on the pedal. It does this by measuring how fast and how hard the brake

pedal is depressed and then, if appropriate, increasing braking force. The timing and degree

of assistance reflects your own braking action, when you ease the pressure on the pedal, BA

similarly reduces the amount of assistance.

VSC and TRC

Vehicle Stability control (VSC) actively intervenes when it senses that the vehicle is at risk of

sliding out of control – for instance, when going too quickly round a corner. It works by

automatically applying the brake to the appropriate wheel, to bring the car back to its

intended path. Traction Control (TRC) compliments VSC. If you accelerate too hard or cause the

front tyres to lose grip and start to wheel spin, TRC will instantly reduce engine power to help

restore traction.

A VSC OFF function is also available allowing the driver to select between normal, TRC off and VSC off modes

When you review the Yaris and compare it to the competition, the level of spec is very high indeed and BEATS the competitors hands down. If you take like for like spec, you have to pay considerably more than a Yaris to get the same spec in any of the competition. There has to be a price point where the manufacturer decides what goes in the car and what is left out, in Toyota's case, the very innovative touch and go is in, heated seats and cruise control out. I bet not many superminis have heated seats or cruise control as standard, it might be an option but with a price

still get drum rear brakes and have DRLs on the options list. Incredible, Toyota in the dark ages. How to spoil a very nice little car.

Put a motorist in a car with rear drums or rear discs and you could not tell the difference, I have always wondered why they put discs all round on small cars, fashionable I suppose. As for DRL, you can keep it as far as I am concerned, cant stand the things, yes they will become law but to say Toyota are in the dark ages for not fitting them yet? There are far more desirable things than DRL in my book

DRL will become law like them or not but it is UK law now that all new cars built after Feb 2011 have them - that does not mean on the options list. In the case of the Yaris, from the pictures they look like some horrible tacked on afterthought.

Rear drum brakes are only normally found on budget city cars, I might stand corrected but is there another "Supermini" running low rent rear drums?

Also, why do they reserve the 'luxury' of rear power windows for the T Spirit only. Base model perhaps but not from that up.

IMO its a cracking little car spoilt by a few silly cost cutting specification decisions which I find annoying. It could have easily toppled the Honda Jazz, they've missed a trick.

<br>DRL will become law like them or not but it is UK law now that all new cars built after Feb 2011 have them  - that does not mean on the options list. In the case of the Yaris, from the pictures they look like some horrible tacked on afterthought.

I dont like DRL, thats just me, I dont know why it is not fitted now, my interpretation was that it was required on NEW MODELS, and the Yaris is a new model. There will be a reason as to why they are not fitted now, a company like Toyota would not sell a car that does not meet type approval, maybe there are some exceptions, I know it will be rolled out to trucks and buses by 2012 so dont know why it is not on now - not a deal breaker for me anyway<br><br>What pictures are you looking at to say they are a tackey afterthought?

Also, why do they reserve the 'luxury' of rear power windows for the T Spirit only. Base model perhaps but not from that up.

That is something done by most manufacturers now, particularly on supermini and smaller cars, the Honda Jazz only has fronts too

Rear drum brakes are only normally found on budget city cars, I might

stand corrected but is there another "Supermini" running low rent rear

drums?

Yes the Jazz I believe

IMO its a cracking little car spoilt by a few silly cost cutting  specification decisions which I find annoying. It could have easily  toppled the Honda Jazz, they've missed a trick.

I don't agree, the spec, even on the T2 is excellent, but T2 sales will only account for a very small amount of the sales mix. When you move up to TR and above, the spec is class leading as standard

Kingo

Some of the format of the editing went Pete Tong in last post - sorry

Drum brakes on the rear are not a major issue, the only argument may be that in maintenance terms, drums are a little more difficult to keep on top off, but that's arguable. I had cruise on my last car and it was used about three times in three years, UK roads are just too congested, so as far as I'm concerned it's not a major omission. Only decent cruise system is the new Merc one that maintains distance to the car in front, but it will be a while before that becomes mainstream.

In terms of anti hijack locking, I have this on my Golf and it's a great feature. It sets at around 10mph and stays locked until you either turn off the ignition, or you or a passenger pull an interior door handle to get out. It's not just aimed at parking, but also stopping at junctions, traffic lights etc. It just gives added security. Sure you can do it by pushing the lock button (my wife does on her Yaris when out) but the anti hijack feature is the next step to that, and you don't have to remember to set the lock.

New Yaris looks quite tasty, but I want to see one in the flesh so to speak. At the moment our Yaris is a "keeper" and will remain so as long as it is trouble free. The new one would definitely be on my list when the time comes, but for me some of the funkyness of the Mk1 & 2 has been lost

<br>DRL will become law like them or not but it is UK law now that all new cars built after Feb 2011 have them  - that does not mean on the options list. In the case of the Yaris, from the pictures they look like some horrible tacked on afterthought.

I dont like DRL, thats just me, I dont know why it is not fitted now, my interpretation was that it was required on NEW MODELS, and the Yaris is a new model. There will be a reason as to why they are not fitted now, a company like Toyota would not sell a car that does not meet type approval, maybe there are some exceptions, I know it will be rolled out to trucks and buses by 2012 so dont know why it is not on now - not a deal breaker for me anyway<br><br>What pictures are you looking at to say they are a tackey afterthought?

Style section of the brochure.

That is something done by most manufacturers now, particularly on supermini and smaller cars, the Honda Jazz only has fronts too

Only on the base model Jazz

Rear drum brakes are only normally found on budget city cars, I might

stand corrected but is there another "Supermini" running low rent rear

drums?

Yes the Jazz I believe

Rear discs on all Jazz models.

IMO its a cracking little car spoilt by a few silly cost cutting  specification decisions which I find annoying. It could have easily  toppled the Honda Jazz, they've missed a trick.

I don't agree, the spec, even on the T2 is excellent, but T2 sales will only account for a very small amount of the sales mix. When you move up to TR and above, the spec is class leading as standard

Then we must agree to disagree

Kingo

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links