Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Discontinued

Devon Aygo

We've bought run out models new previously (from memory a Honda Civic 3 door, Mazda 323 and my current Auris), and haven't had any issues with any. In fact with the Mazda we had at least a couple of additional features that were over and above the spec we bought.

It is definitely economics. There may be a new model of Smart but the previous model cost Mercedes a lot of money rather than returning a profit.

I've said before that the run-out models of Avensis (it's unlikely to have a direct replacement) will potentially be great buys especially when the model has been discontinued & they are ~1 years old.

Yes ... we all know how Mercedes treats their costumers with a Smart ... now the special Smart Centers are gone.

I once had an Avensis Verso ... and after that a Previa ...

Good cars, but way too big a car... at this moment...

I want a small one / a two-seeter. I have my iQ and will keep it ... it is a terrific car, with this turning circle of 0 meters... :-)

BTW 1 ... Toyota did hardly ANY advertising for the iQ ... ever ...

BTW 2 ... My wife will eventually buy the new Smart.. she has a Verso (that's also way to big now), that we will sell. And the New Smart will replace the Smart we have now from 2002.

There are no other very small cars. Or did I miss one?

• Like 1

There are no other very small cars. Or did I miss one?

I'm afraid you did - the Peel P50 which Peel Engineering have resurrected from the 60's. 1372mm long and 1041mm wide - whereas the IQ is 2985mm long and 1680 wide and the Smart ForTwo is 2695 and 1559

http://www.peelengineering.com/peels/peel-p50

PeelP50_06_1000.jpg

The main reason Daihatsu pulled out of Europe was to do with exchange rates - "In January 2011, Daihatsu announced that it would pull out of Europe by 2013, citing the persistently strong yen which makes it difficult for the company to make a profit from its export business."

Diahatsu's were crap with the exception of one or two models. That's why they didn't sell. Their customer base of people in their 80's have all died out.

Lexus make money at the low end and probably loads at the top end. There aren't any 'Japanese' manufacturers left anymore I don't think.

• Like 1

For what ever reason I still believe Toyota are crazy to pull the plug on the IQ - The car is a icon, and totally unique just needed some serious money spent on the correct adverting. My wife compared the IQ against the Aygo and the IQ won hands down for quality, finish, design and the likes and the auto box of the IQ is superb against the Aygo

• Like 2

Look at the European sales figures for the first six months of 2014:

Toyota European sales figures, January to June 2014

TOYOTA 427,216

Aygo 34,381

Yaris (including hybrid) 97,427

Yaris Hybrid 29,945

Auris (including hybrid 43,733

Auris Hybrid 17,766

Auris Touring Sports (including hybrid) 29,985

Auris Hybrid Touring Sports 18,739

Corolla 42,260

Verso 20,021

Avensis 16,304

iQ 2,454

Urban Cruiser 259

Verso-S 3,851

Prius – all models 9,086

Prius 4,235

Prius+ 4,047

Prius Plug-in 804

Camry 18,172

GT86 1,638

RAV4 51,518

Venza 3,253

Highlander 5,241

Land Cruiser 25,230

Hilux 17,856

Proace 3,049

Hiace 326

Other models 1,172

* Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all western, central and eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia. The territory also includes Israel and a number of central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan).

The Aygo sales would have been the first generation which ended production in, I think, May 2014.

• Like 1

I was recently on the Isle of Man

Not only id i see 9 iQ's including a checkered one. I also went to Peel to the car museum which only had one car in it the peel. And looked at the old factory which is just round the corner from the museum

David

• Like 1

Sooo ... FROSTYBALLS ... in the end ... there aren't any other small cars... I understand?

Second-hand iQ's a lot...

An one (1) Cygnet, second hand here in Holland... :-) Only € 49.500 Euro...

Here: http://auto.aanbodpagina.nl/aston-martin-cygnet-1-3-vvt-i-multidrive-cvt

And : http://www.marktnet.nl/autos/overige-merken/aston-martin-cygnet-1-3-vvt-i-multidrive-cvt-bj-2012-12325433.htm

The main reason Daihatsu pulled out of Europe was to do with exchange rates - "In January 2011, Daihatsu announced that it would pull out of Europe by 2013, citing the persistently strong yen which makes it difficult for the company to make a profit from its export business."

I read your comment and then found the following from todays BBC news;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29911142

"Japan's biggest car manufacturer, Toyota, has raised its full-year profit forecast by 12.4%, citing a weaker yen and cost cutting efforts."

The weaker yen means that profits generated abroad are more valuable when repatriated to Japan.

Conversely because Japan has few natural resources all the raw materials imported to Japan (e.g. to produce cars) become more expensive for them hence why Japanese built cars become too expensive in America & Europe compared to local production (even ignoring shipping).

Btw some Japanese companies are making more profit from their currency hedging operations than from actual manufacturing & selling operations ...

I read your comment and then found the following from todays BBC news;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29911142

"Japan's biggest car manufacturer, Toyota, has raised its full-year profit forecast by 12.4%, citing a weaker yen and cost cutting efforts."

Yes, that's today - but 7 months ago when Toyota decided to withdraw the IQ from some European markets the Yen was in a different position to now. A lot can change in 7 months.

Exchange rates between the Yen and European currencies have been a problem for a number of years, and this has directly affected the profitability of exporting Japanese made vehicles to Europe - hence the decision in October 2012 to withdraw the Urban Cruiser, and the decision in May 2013 to withdraw the Verso S from some European markets.

As previously stated, the exchange rates were one reason why Daihatsu pulled out of Europe.

OK, some people may view Daihatsus as crap. However consider that Toyota have had an interest in Daihatsu since 1967, and a controlling interest since1988. Toyota and Daihatsu share platforms and powertrains for some models. The Yaris, IQ, Sirion, Boon, Terios, etc share powertrain elements. Toyota sells some Daihatsus badged as Toyotas in their home and Asian markets, and vice versa. Two examples: Toyota sells their version of the Daihatsu Boon/Sirion as the Passo, and their version of the Daihatsu Materia as the Toyota Bb. Daihatsu also make Toyota's 'kei' cars for them. In some Asian markets Daihatsu sells versions of the Prius badged as a Daihatsu.. So when people describe Daihatsus as crap, is the same true about Toyota, given the platform and powertrain sharing, the re-badging of some Daihatsus as Toyotas and vice versa, etc?

I was recently on the Isle of Man

Not only id i see 9 iQ's including a checkered one. I also went to Peel to the car museum which only had one car in it the peel. And looked at the old factory which is just round the corner from the museum

David

Sooo ... FROSTYBALLS ... in the end ... there aren't any other small cars... I understand?

Second-hand iQ's a lot...

An one (1) Cygnet, second hand here in Holland... :-) Only € 49.500 Euro...

Here: http://auto.aanbodpagina.nl/aston-martin-cygnet-1-3-vvt-i-multidrive-cvt

And : http://www.marktnet.nl/autos/overige-merken/aston-martin-cygnet-1-3-vvt-i-multidrive-cvt-bj-2012-12325433.htm

The company that resurrected the Peel P50 and Trident, Peel Engineering Ltd, produce the cars in Sutton-in-Ashfield, England, and are a different company to Peel Engineering Company that originally produced the P50 and Trident on the Isle of Man.

The company that resurrected the Peel P50 and Trident, Peel Engineering Ltd, produce the cars in Sutton-in-Ashfield, England, and are a different company to Peel Engineering Company that originally produced the P50 and Trident on the Isle of Man.

Hey, I work in Sutton and I've never even heard of them. I love that little red bubble car. A bit expensive though starting at 12k+.

Peel Engineering Ltd appeared on Dragons Den, and James Khan invested in them.

The iQ is certainly a unique car in its design, innovations, and spec.

I've had my iQ 3 from new and have decided to change it and am moving over to a nearly new Aygo x-clusiv, so staying in the family.

There will be things I'll miss about the iQ for sure and there are things I'm gaining on the Aygo, so it balances out.

Hmmmm..... iQ versus Aygo.... hmmmmm....

Nope....

• Like 2

The iQ has been great, but time for a change for me and I can always come back to an iQ at some point if I wanted to.

• Like 1

The new Aygo is a real improvement over the last model, but the aesthetics still look and feel a lot cheaper than in the iQ, and it's lacking in general refinement. Having said that, I realise the Aygo offers two extra doors, seats-up boot space, a touchscreen and better MPG, so I'm curious as to why you made the switch...? :)

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

• Like 1

I loved my IQ, but when I saw the Citroen Cactus I decided to make a test drive. I was very impressed about the comfort, it was great. After the test drive I drove home in my IQ, it was a bumpy ride. In my town there are a lot of traffic bumps, in the IQ it is not comfortable compared to the Cactus. So I decided to buy a Cactus. So no IQ anymore. I had a very nice time with it and I saved a lot of money. But the comfort in the Citroen Cactus was to much.

I loved my IQ, I drove 93000km without problems only the EGR problems. So it is a great car. But know it is time for something completely different.

• Like 1

Surprisingly Mrs Cabbie (who owns our IQ) liked the look of the Cactus. French cars have always given great ride quality in my experience, but I'd just be a little concerned about reliability. Also, the Citroen dealers in the UK have never had a great reputation (rightly or wrongly), so that again would put me off.

Be interested to hear your experiences of your new motor if the mods allow. At least let us all see a pic :)

I will keep in touch, interested in the IQ forum and the IQ. In December I get my Cactus so you have to wait a little bit. By the way the Cactus is a very simple car so I hope it will be reliable.

• 1 year later...

lol. i can't understand the point. For what and why? Toyota is a great company with a lot of advantages.... Just why? It doesn't make any sense.

Recently read an article about "Why Toyota" http://italkaboutcars.com/why_pick_toyota_6_good_reasons and now i have doubts about it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links