Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mods Why?

Old Fart

Hi, Speaking as an old !Removed! I have read the various topics about altering the Yaris for various reasons,ie tuning this,lowering that bigger wheels etc:

Then you complain when the Insurance Company asks for a large premium.

The Yaris is a brilliant car for its size as standard,why waste money changing things just for the street cred it's just not worth it.

All that you are doing is make someone else wealthy.

My advice (which will be totally ignored),is to keep the car standard, earn some N.C.D then if you must modify it do it then.

But my thinking is that you will have grown out of it by then.

Aye happy days when I was 17 and my first car insurance premium was £12 for the year. :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• earpl

• Demonic Angel

• silvasurfa

• Gnome

Top Posters In This Topic

Your name suits you mate! :P

(for the record, I am neither a very good surfer nor am I silver...)

I agree. I only change small cosmetic things (gear knobs etc) just to make it look better, as factory-fitted items can look pretty bad. Also fitted a CD player for convenience, and neither of these items will affect my insurance premium.

Aye happy days when I was 17 and my first car insurance premium was £12 for the year. :D

:lol: You MUST be an old !Removed! right enough.. was Vera "top of the pops" when you were 17? :lol:

Only messing pal.. Good advice though, especially for young drivers struggling to get insurance. :thumbsup:

Neither do i.......

I doubt if this thing will keep up with me bike though

Modding my car doesn't affect my insurance, so no complaints there, and if I wanted to leave my car standard, I would be paying over £6000 as the only car I like standard is the Civic Type R, the rest of the cars I like that are standard cost over £20,000 to buy.

Like silvasurfa said your username suits you, but I see your point

I don't complain about my insurance COSTS either. I know if I modify my car I will have to pay big premiums.

My whole thread was aimed at Endsleigh and how not to run a business/company.

And if my car doesn't look better than it did when it was standard you need your eye's tested mate. :thumbsup:

Majority of peeps mod on here - I'm in the minority! My cars completely standard (apart from my devil horns! lol which come off anyway!)

The reason for this is as follows:

1. Have a house and bills to pay therefore money not in plentiful supply for modding

2. I'm happy with my car the way it is and dont feel the need to

3. Shes going next year anyway hopefully for my Mk2 Yaris T-Sport, which will also probably stay stock.

4. Am typical bird and do not have clue when it comes to mods!

I adore my car - shes cleaned frequently and lovingly by hand and I'll talk about her to anyone that'll listen, but mods arent my thang - although fairplay to those who have I say - there are some excellent examples of modded Yaris on the forums - take Kimis for example - beautiful car, sounds amazing, incredibly fast - we all want it! lol

My insurance is bad enough without having mods to declare! :lol::lol:

The only "mods" I'll have, are style mods only, which are removeable quickly and easily for sale time. And if I have to be the only unmodified Yaris on the forums - well so be it - its nice to be unique! :lol::lol:

best mod is a bucket and sponge... FACT

Hi, Speaking as an old !Removed! I have read the various topics about altering the Yaris for various reasons,ie tuning this,lowering that bigger wheels etc:

Then you complain when the Insurance Company asks for a large premium.

The Yaris is a brilliant car for its size as standard,why waste money changing things just for the street cred it's just not worth it.

All that you are doing is make someone else wealthy.

My advice (which will be totally ignored),is to keep the car standard, earn some N.C.D then if you must modify it do it then.

But my thinking is that you will have grown out of it by then.

Its good advice, and its exactly what I did.

The Yaris is a good car when standard, I doubt you'll find anyone here who'll disagree, but its just that there are little things that anny me that I feel the need to fix. Its part of my make up to want to tweak things and improve them - its one of the reasons I'm a product designer :) - so the very minor alterations I've made are just to make the Yaris closer to my ideal...

Hope that makes sense to someone else :thumbsup:

Alan

PS Am I still an old !Removed! at 27? :unsure:

Hey Up,

Have I upset one or two people?

Other folk posting on here can have their say,why can't I have mine.

The comment about crashing into a wall was a bit nasty but my comment about street cred is very true.

Love and kisses :D

Lets play nice now y'all or this thread will :bye:

i dont think you've upset anyone, i get the impression your trying though.......... and it wasnt nasty about bikes it was very true.

You can have your say mate! It does nee bother me!!!

Have I upset one or two people?

I doubt it! :rolleyes:

Other folk posting on here can have their say,why can't I have mine.

Who said you couldn't have yours? :thumbsup:

This is my last post on this subject.

I have ridden motorbikes for 40 years.

I have driven cars for 39 years.

I wish that I could remember how much that I have spent on various bikes and cars over the years but I imagine that I could have bought another house or two.

My main point was Why waste money on some thing that one day will end up in a scrap yard.

This was not a dig at Ryan neither about his insurance,it was my opinion about altering cars when to be honest there is nothing wrong with them in the first place.

You have a point mate, but a hypocritical one as by your own admission, you've done it all before...

You say,

"Why waste money on something that one day will end up in a scrap yard"

I say,

"Why go on holiday?"

The answer for both, if you're enjoying it, it isn't a waste...

Being a fellow biker and car driver, although considerably yuonger than yourself by the sounds of things, I thought I'd have some input.

I drive a Yaris, and ride a heavily modified Suzuki Bandit.

I'm keeping the yaris standard mainly because it's my daily drive, and the bike is my thrash-mobile. At least I know if I've screwed up sumwhere on the bike, the car is there to save my bacon.

However, if I didn't get into bikes, and had just got into cars, then I would've more than likely started following the modified car route.

It's simply an expression of individualism on the owners behalf.

Sure, people know their insurance premiums will rise, but they still do it anyway - Why?

Simply because they like it. It's almost a drug.

You're right. Companies spend god-knows how much on developing a car, only for the consumer to come along and change it. Hey - the customer is always right. ;)

Sound advice, and the route I am following (keeping the car standard), but no matter how many people you advise, not everyone is gonna listen.

I dread to think how much I've spent on the bike in the last 2 years, but if I was that bothered, I wouldn't have done it.

Simply put, people are different. ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links