Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

K&n Typhoon

R6TH M

Sorry mate but ur talkin wet! Ive purchased one and rated it myself for the 4 months ive had it. Obvious difference in power bottom end and top end.

DONT KNOCK IT TIL UVE TRIED IT!

Don't need to try it... I've got an Apexi and it beats it... by a mile.

How can you judge when you have never owner the typhoon ;) I have owned both and the typhoon is much better end of

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cmarshall

• R6TH M

• seveer unaek

• Woody27

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How can you judge when you have never owner the typhoon ;) I have owned both and the typhoon is much better end of

Why is it better?? Neither of them make a significant power gain, yet the apexi sounds better and requires half the maintenance. It's a no-brainer.

Plus, the amount of problems i've heard from people who have K&N's is mind-blowing.

Why is it better?? Neither of them make a significant power gain, yet the apexi sounds better and requires half the maintenance. It's a no-brainer.

Plus, the amount of problems i've heard from people who have K&N's is mind-blowing.

Yes it is a no brainer, from the k&n i get better throttle repsonse, better mpg, and it dosen't rub against the Battery as it fits properly and dosen't require relocating, and as for maintenance a drop of oil when you clean it is hardly rocket science ;) Why don't you comment on what you have experienced

Yes it is a no brainer, from the k&n i get better throttle repsonse, better mpg, and it dosen't rub against the battery as it fits properly and dosen't require relocating, and as for maintenance a drop of oil when you clean it is hardly rocket science ;) Why don't you comment on what you have experienced

Throttle response is perfect in my car.

I couldn't give half a flys ar*e about mpg (that's hardly the reason we fit induction kits is it?!)

Mine doesn't rub on anything

A drop of oil??? - You're forgetting that you have to remove it, wash it, dry it, then re-oil the complete filter every 6 months or it's warranty is invalid!

There you go... my comments on my experience.

Oh, i'll comment on more failing if you like... I have three friends who have owned different K&N's... each now doesn't...

Friend One: K&N Typhoon on a Corolla T-Sport. After 6 months, he cleaned it, 2 months later the car was losing performance, it started 'chugging' in town, the idle was all over the place. So, he cleaned the air-flow sensor (MAF on yaris) and reset the ECU... still the same and now the Engine management light was on. So, he took it off, cleaned the air-flow again, cleaned the idle valve, cleaned the filter again and re-set ECU... guess what? Same problem. We took it all off, and took inspected the throttle body... absolutley clogged in gunk. There was the filter oil, dirt from outside, even a feather! We cleaned it out and put the standard airbox back on... all was fine.

Friend Two: K&N Panel filter on an Alfa 147 2.0l. After a week of fitting it he took it off and got his money back... It lost power throttle response decreased dramatically. Waste of money in the extreme.

Friend Three: K&N 57i on a Peugeot 306. He had a temperature gauge rigged up to three places in the engine bay as he was going to use the car for track work. After fitting the K&N, the temperature at the inlet manifold was 10deg higher than with the standard kit, it therefore lost power (proved on Dyno - 3bhp loss) and even after leaving it because he liked the noise it still wasn't done killing the power... air-sensor got clogged because of poor filtration and the inlet manifold needed cleaning (he got it polished at same time and it looks awesome!) before it was running well again. He now has a Viper induction kit which has an inlet temperature that's 2deg lower than ambient and it gained him 9bhp and it's had no problems what-so-ever and it sounds better.

There you go... three stories, three K&N's, three different cars and all the same outcome... K&N's suck monkey nuts.

Yes three stories, but we are talking about the yaris have you not forgot? Cleaning every 6 months, your point being, the apexi should be cleaned that often for peak performance. MPG is important when you have to actually go anywhere otherwise we would all own V8's wouldnt we??? But talking to you is like talking to a brick wall you think you have all the answers on a product you haven't used, when i have used both and can give a fair comparison on them both ;)

Yes three stories, but we are talking about the yaris have you not forgot? Cleaning every 6 months, your point being, the apexi should be cleaned that often for peak performance. MPG is important when you have to actually go anywhere otherwise we would all own V8's wouldnt we??? But talking to you is like talking to a brick wall you think you have all the answers on a product you haven't used, when i have used both and can give a fair comparison on them both ;)

I do have all the answers. Didn't you know? Im never wrong. I am god. And I am like a brick wall. How kind of you to say so.

Yes, we're talking about the Yaris, but im just saying that K&N's by their reputation are a poor product. The apexi is proven to have better filtration and power results. K&N's have been proven to reduce power.

MPG isn't important when modifying a car is it really?? Otherwise what's the point? Performance mods always decrease mpg, and if not, then the right foot of the person driving the modded car does. I drive all over the place... 19,000 miles a year and I couldn't give a hoot about mpg, i fill it, i use it... pass me my V8.

The apexi requires a blast of compressed air or a quick hoover... takes about 30secs, rather than the couple of hours for the K&N. (when cleaned properly)

Ok, I haven't tried the K&N on my car, but that's for a good reason... if the reputation of a product preceeding it is poor, then i'm not going to use it, otherwise i'd be a bit daft fitting a product whose forebears have been quite poor indeed.

Ok well we are obviously both strong minded people and this isn't getting us very far so lets just accept we prefer different things :P

Ok well we are obviously both strong minded people and this isn't getting us very far so lets just accept we prefer different things :P

What?? Boo! I enjoy a good argument! Damned quitters! I ain't no quitter!

2004-04-10%20Bush%20no%20quitter%20Iraq%20victory%20200226.JPG

Er, yeah, fine by me! Each to their own. 'Tard. :lol::thumbsup:

rite guys sorry if im sprakin off an argument here lol i want an induction kit that quality ok its got to look good i dunno how u can say the envy or k&n looks good cos all u can see is about 2 inches on pipe !?! so far i like the apexi but if there goin bust its not good !?! anyone sellin an apexi induction kit !?!?!????? i had a look at blitz but aparently the filtration is so poor u might aswell leave the throttle body open to the elements lol

rite guys sorry if im sprakin off an argument here lol i want an induction kit that quality ok its got to look good i dunno how u can say the envy or k&n looks good cos all u can see is about 2 inches on pipe !?! so far i like the apexi but if there goin bust its not good !?! anyone sellin an apexi induction kit !?!?!????? i had a look at blitz but aparently the filtration is so poor u might aswell leave the throttle body open to the elements lol

If your getting a new induction kit get the envy kit as it relocates it like the k&n but is dry, stay clear of the apexi its not quite as good as it should be...

Edited as avoiding the swear filter :D

I'd have the A'PEXI over any other induction kit available for the Yaris tbh! :yes:

I think Envy are trying to get rid of a GReddy induction kit for the T-Sport though, it's in their section on the site! :thumbsup:

hmmm greddy i like jap tuning always !! I would go for the Envy one but the filter is way out of the way and 2inches of pipe doesnt look as nice as a nice cone sittin under the hood does it !!

Lol ya want jap styling but the one that looks best?! :wacko: I would say go for the one with least hassle once fitted and best performance to save you loosing performance with it fitted! My only withdrawal on ENVY's kit being the best is the filtration? I would want the ENVY kit with my apexi on end :D I'm not saying the ENVY kit has poor filtration but i doubt its as good as the Apexi! I would say get ENVY over Greddy as isn't the Greddy the one renowned for the poor filtration? (along with the Blitz sus)

Ive got a relocated apexi on mine and its great, but if I did it over again Id probably go for the envy system. Im thinking of a comprimise at the moment - by cutting an airfeed into the bumper... but Im only considering it at the mo.

Some of you clever people may be able to answer this, is it better to have a short pipe from induction kit to inlet manifold in a straight line like the people with relocated Apexi induction kit and then a longer cold air duct or a long inlet pipe after the filter and then a short cold air duct? Or does it make no difference? In my simple mind, for reasons i cant really explain :P It would seem the short straight pipe from the inlet manifold to the Apexi with the cold air feed being longer and having the bends in would be better? The criticism i have heard of the systems like the ENVY and K&N are due to the bends in the pipe? But surely the cold air ducting has to have this same path?

In my basic non engineering mind i would imagine a short inlet pipe from the Apexi is better as then it has better suction on it meaning some air can come in from the immediate surround and other can travel further to go through the cold air duct but the long pipe after the filter means all air has to travel this long distance from the filter. But then at the same time all the air travelling this long distance on the K&N and ENVY will be cooler due to where it comes from? OK now this is getting confusing so you guys can come back telling me it makes lil difference either way to shut me up :P

Well the way I look at it is that the shorter the distance from the filter to the inlet the better and the straighter path the better!

But I want more cold air - and Ill be honest wouldnt have had the confidence to cut another air feed until I went round to Knightriders the other week and seen what he'd done. By cutting the hole under the headlight just underneath where my apexi sits right now he used a single bend in pipe to funnel air to his HKS (which is my old one, via a rover 200 and my pajero!)

Soooo when I get the time and a dry day Ill get the hole cutter out and have a go ...

Right cheers! Yeah thats kinda what i was thinking. When i eventually get a Tsport i'm gonna have a proper play but may do something with mine atm as can always carry across any progress. Also i would like to try boxing it off somehow eventually? Also is wrapping the manifold in heat insulator a good idea in the short run as that would stop the heat coming across when its relocated?

hmmmmm i dunno wat to do APEX'i or Envy APEX'i is a nicer looking kit ( which IS important ) or envy which is better located, well at the end of the day it probably wont make that much difference on a yaris its no supra is it !!!! and the APEX'i has the better filtration i believe. APEX'i here i come !....................................... or wait

http://www.arospeed.com/p-77926-aro155000.aspx

how about that from what i can make out it goes in the front bumper basically like a front mounted intercooler, the only issues i can see in it are it would need some serious pipe work and fitting so probably harder to suck in the air because of the distance and bends and i dont think it would offer very good filtration and it would be very prone to the elements and dust e.t.c would look amazing tho !!!!

They are rubbish tbh as if you look on net at the reviews there is one somewhere showing it as the least increase in power between a range of filters tested. It's due to rubbish design (think about what the air has to do when it hits it) and then stupidly long pipework etc. Tbh i dont think it looks that good either as cars with it fitted look like they have a stupidly small intercooler on which isn't cool :P

It'd be fine if the yaris engine layout was the other way round - if the intake sat to the left rather than right (standing looking at engine bay) it could go in place of that daft plastic blanking plate ... but it isnt.

yea i spose u cud always turn it upside down (180 it ) but still stupid amounts of pipe but at least the air would be cold would be better on forced induction i think one for the supercharger ( WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE SPONSOR MY CAR SO I CAN DO SOME DECENT STUFF TO IT LOL )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links