Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remember The Idling Problem I Had?...

KPARRIS-JONES

Hi all,

Some of you may remember that when I first joined, I had a problem with the idling on my GTi. And because I was going to take the engine out and adjust everything, I thought nothing of it. There was never a solution found.

But now in my progress thread, I was told that if the valve for the power steering on the steering rack is broken, it can affect the idling of the car.

Could it be this that is broken, resulting in the car idle badly?

I can't see anything that looks broken or out-of-place on the steering rack, but I was just wandering if this was a possibility.

Thanks for the help and advice,

Kynan Parris-Jones

alrite, a bit of a newbie to the forum, but iv got one of these engines in my starlet, iv had a few probs with the idle, what kind on things has it been doing?

just lumpy, stalling, high?

alrite, a bit of a newbie to the forum, but iv got one of these engines in my starlet, iv had a few probs with the idle, what kind on things has it been doing?

just lumpy, stalling, high?

When I start it up, it revs really quite high and keeps 'hunting'. it will slowly go up and down every 2-3 seconds and after 20 minutes, the engine eventually settles down a bit.

The high idle's nothing to worry about they all do it 2000/2500 is normal, i know its hard to get your head round lol.

the hunting could be a number of things, it could be incorrect timing, air in the water or not enough (you might have to jack the front of the car up alot and run it with the inside heater on for this), air around the throttlebody housing or the valve inside it sticking (case of pulling the pipes off underneath and giving it a good lube with wd40 and a flush, or the air fuel ratio knob has been fiddled with(they dont have a o2 sensor) and the other thing is the t-vis vaccum lines are plumped in wrong. i had the wrong air fuel knob (non tvis) on mine so it idled lumpy and stalled a lot, put the right one on and it was a new car.

good luck with it let us know how it goes :)

The high idle's nothing to worry about they all do it 2000/2500 is normal, i know its hard to get your head round lol.

the hunting could be a number of things, it could be incorrect timing, air in the water or not enough (you might have to jack the front of the car up alot and run it with the inside heater on for this), air around the throttlebody housing or the valve inside it sticking (case of pulling the pipes off underneath and giving it a good lube with wd40 and a flush, or the air fuel ratio knob has been fiddled with(they dont have a o2 sensor) and the other thing is the t-vis vaccum lines are plumped in wrong. i had the wrong air fuel knob (non tvis) on mine so it idled lumpy and stalled a lot, put the right one on and it was a new car.

good luck with it let us know how it goes :)

The engines going to be lifted out in the summer mate, all I have to do is drain the clutch and brake fluid then I'll give it a full overhaul. Head and Block etc.

Is it possible to get rid of the TVIS? I saw on an aussie site and that someone had a gasket like thing with the rubber vacuum hoses on it, and people said 'chuck it'. Does this make the engine better in some way?

Cheers

mate just a thought, my 2zz idles really smooth if I use standard 95 octane unleaded, as soon as I put 97 or 99 in the idle becomes a lot less stable (but its worth it for the extra throttle response!)

could it be same for yourself? perhaps ECU is advancing stuff that little too much for the idle to remain smooth?

The engines going to be lifted out in the summer mate, all I have to do is drain the clutch and brake fluid then I'll give it a full overhaul. Head and Block etc.

Is it possible to get rid of the TVIS? I saw on an aussie site and that someone had a gasket like thing with the rubber vacuum hoses on it, and people said 'chuck it'. Does this make the engine better in some way?

Cheers

oh ok then, it is possible to get rid of it but theirs no need unless you're putting some aggressive cams in, the idea of t-vis is to give more low end power and then after 5400rpm ish t-vis engages (its a butterfly in each of the flutes on the inlet manifold) and lets the engine breath better in the latter rpms, if you want to get rid of it anyway you need a spacer plate so the inlet manifold can still bolt to the head.

they can be had from http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=374 but you might need the later 90-92 spec inlet mani, not sure tho

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links