Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Is Better, Manual Or Auto

Nightstalker

Auto or Manual  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better

• Automatic
    • Manual

Hello all... :D

I have noticed that most LC's are automatics with a few manuals dotted about here and there...

Now having driven manuals all my life the shift over to automatic seems daunting...

so for those out there with LC's can you let us know whats the better gear box on the LC and why?

Regards

Rob

B)

Auto Auto Auto.... everytime :yes:

Why the heck would you want to stir up that silly gearbox thingy when Mr T sorts it all out for you and makes sure the car is in the right gear at the right time :thumbsup:

57 views and only one vote... that's POOR.... come on guys...

My preference is automatic - like said - why bother with clutch and gear box when it can be done automaticly...

Manuals are effectivly old technology in comparison...

Bah, autos are for the elderly and people who can't drive properly! :P :lol:

Bah, autos are for the elderly and people who can't drive properly! :P :lol:

Auto is for people with seized up legs and arms :lol: :P

Manual ADL!

Depends on the car.

For something the size and lazyness of a LC (I've a Hilux Surf) auto is best.

Even for offroading, just put it in 4x4 and drive. Less to think about when you are trying to avoid rock faces and massive trees.

I had an S2000 a whileback, and that was the opposite. A highly tuned motor and a proper drivers car. That was manual as it should be.

Look at the two "manual" votes. One is a Yaris owner, and the other a (mainly) Hot Hatch owner. Both those should be manuals.

For something pushing 2 tonnes and able to cross the globe in AirCon ease (and get to the North and South poles in Hilux guise). Auto.

Depends on the car.

For something the size and lazyness of a LC (I've a Hilux Surf) auto is best.

Even for offroading, just put it in 4x4 and drive. Less to think about when you are trying to avoid rock faces and massive trees.

I had an S2000 a whileback, and that was the opposite. A highly tuned motor and a proper drivers car. That was manual as it should be.

Look at the two "manual" votes. One is a Yaris owner, and the other a (mainly) Hot Hatch owner. Both those should be manuals.

For something pushing 2 tonnes and able to cross the globe in AirCon ease (and get to the North and South poles in Hilux guise). Auto.

Does the Yaris have a gearbox then, thought that were for old people that just drive where they want and never look in the mirrors.

But as said in a 2 ton 4x4 auto rules and manual is for fast cars.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha! Touché! :lol:

I must admit, I didn't realise this was just for LC's when I entered the poll! Not sure how much difference it would be on a 4x4. Biggest thing I've driven was a diesel transit van and I must admit I did find it a bit tiring after a while of being stuck in traffic (That thing had one heavy clutch pedal!!)

Is the LC auto a proper auto then? Or one of those horrible semi-autos?

Haha! Touché! :lol:

I must admit, I didn't realise this was just for LC's when I entered the poll! Not sure how much difference it would be on a 4x4. Biggest thing I've driven was a diesel transit van and I must admit I did find it a bit tiring after a while of being stuck in traffic (That thing had one heavy clutch pedal!!)

Is the LC auto a proper auto then? Or one of those horrible semi-autos?

I just assumed they ment on the LC as it's in the LC forum.

What do you mean by proper/semi auto?

Mine is a 1997 - It's an auto. There is no manual over ride. It also has a big transfer box to swap from RWD to 4WD and other trick modes.

Latter cars have more tricks and more eletrics.

Hello all... :D

I have noticed that most LC's are automatics with a few manuals dotted about here and there...

Now having driven manuals all my life the shift over to automatic seems daunting...

so for those out there with LC's can you let us know whats the better gear box on the LC and why?

Regards

Rob

B)

Hi Rob

I vote for an auto. I do not use my rav for towing, but only normal drive belong to city and hills.

The auto will never be overloaded having selected correct gear. Cheers/Igor

What do you mean by proper/semi auto?

'proper' autos have a torque converter and no clutch, while semi-autos are basically just manuals with a computer controlled clutch.

One thing Toyota are very bad at is semi-auto gearboxes; The MMT version of my Yaris is !Removed! awful to drive, esp. compared to the VW DSG semi-autos.

Cool, we are talking about the same thing then.

Mine is a proper auto. I doubt they'd have a clutchless manual in an offroader. they tend to be for more sporty cars at the moment.

I think the later land cruisers have the dodgy autos with manual overrides.

• 1 month later...

ABSOLUTELY AUTOMATIC EVERYTIME.

You dont buy a motor like an landcruiser for sporty performance. You buy it for space, comfort and the ability to go up a mountain. Chuck it in drive and relax. Automatics are also the safer option by far. Have a drive in one and you won't ned to ask the question again. Those who say manual are living in the dark age - probably lamenting the guy who used to walk in front of the car with a red flag.

AUTO till i die.

Yep Auto was the right move... still getting used to it as it is a different style of driving... the bit I'm not too keen on just yet is the slight delay you get when you put your foot down as the auto kicks down one gear.

Regards

Rob

B)

• 5 months later...

It totally depends on the use of the car. A luxury cruiser should of course have automatic transmission, but I couldn't imagine having it when it comes to a bit more active driving styles.

• 3 months later...

I agree Automatic. I had a brand new land cruiser Amazon a couple of years ago whilst I only kept it for a year it was just the best 4x4 that you could ever dream to own. David

• 1 month later...

I have always driven 'manuals' in rough terrain in Africa and have always been happy with them, never having driven an 'auto' in these condition made me suspicious and weary of them.

I now own a 2002 Toyota Land cruiser Amazon, couldn't find a manual box so had no choice as the only ones available was the 'auto's'.

With all the research I did trying to convince myself to buy the auto, I decided to go ahead. Well, I will never regret it as I love it, even though it took some time getting used to the felling of not trying to find the clutch pedal, I am finding it a pleasure and can't believe how good the fuel economy is too!

Now it is getting it to Africa to do the real test which I believe is fantastic. My next expedition through Africa will be with an 'auto'. The only draw back/negative is when the Battery is dead, you can't push start or pull start an auto, so you will always have to keep batteries in good condition.

Autos are the way forward now a days!

• 1 month later...

I won't vote as I have never driven an automatic LC.

I did own a manual diesel LC from new in 2004. At that time I had only ever driven manuals (for over 30 years) but my last two cars have been automatics and I much prefer them. If buying another LC I would go for an automatic Landcruiser.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks

Just found this post whilst browsing.......

Ive been looking for 3 door colorado for about a year now,very little for sale in east anglia,...but i did look at a 02 REG D4D 5dr vx one yesterday in leigh on sea,near southend.

It had 71'000 on the clock,black,ftsh,very good conditon ,drove luuuvly & smooth....but my left foot was redundant being an auto ,having owned and driven manuals all my life so far...it was wierd,lovely & lazy and relaxed......but wierd.

I personally prefer to choose the gears for myself.....but....it....was...sooo smooth

Be interesting to see what its like in an older colorado with lots more mileage...say..150'000,would that be just as good i wonder ??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links