Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning: New Avensis Tourer Thule Fixing Kit

systonlad

WARNING

I was fitting my bike racks to the car this evening, I have 4 bike carriers on Thule 761 roofbars & I'm using the correct fittings Thule 753 Fixpoint XT low feet & 3073 fixing kit, I'd fitted the 4 bolts & when checking they were tight the 4th one sheared off. Put a small scratch on the roof too, I guess I'd overtighted it but doesn't fill with confidence that a rack full of bikes could have detached from the roof while on the move.

Thule have recalled some of the fixing kits for the fixpoint XT kits on some models due to defective bolts although not for the Avensis tourer http://www.thulegroup.com/en/Product-Recal...call---UK-only/ , needless to say I'll be ringing Thule in the morning for replacements.

Really pee'd off I'd planned a family bike ride around Rutland Water tomorrow & I need to use my roofbars for my roofbox on a camping trip over the BH weekend, the only saving grace is that they didn't break while I was on the move with £3000 of bikes onboard or a roofbox full of gear. The bike rides a no-no & probably means 2 cars for the camping trip. :ffs: :ffs:

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update this thread, I contacted Thule the following day & they did not have any spare fixing kits until the end of September, they suggested I go to my local Halfords for spares!

I bought the kit from "fasteronline" who are based in Bournemouth so I gave them a ring & they could not have been more helpful a replacement bolt arrived the next day. I returned the broken bolt to them & they are sending it to Thule for investigation.

Used the bars & roofbox over the weekend, thankfully no problems

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links