Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key Stolen

johnro

hello

i have a T25 2005 Avensis and recently one of my car keys got stolen

what are my options? i want to cancel my missing key and i want to get a replacement for it.

do i have to change all the locks? can they cancel the old code and put a new code on all my keys?

anyone know ruffly about how much it will cost me?

thanks for all your help

hello

i have a T25 2005 Avensis and recently one of my car keys got stolen

what are my options? i want to cancel my missing key and i want to get a replacement for it.

do i have to change all the locks? can they cancel the old code and put a new code on all my keys?

anyone know ruffly about how much it will cost me?

thanks for all your help

Hi mate see the post started by MK320vt started 23rd July this year as he had the same problem and it will save you a lot of time. ;)

Regards Pete

i have a quote from Toyota

535 pounds for all the locks, new key, reprogramming and some free coffee

i guess it's quite expensive. what do you think?

Seems thats the price for security and peace of mind. Should come with Toyota warranty too.

I think i would pay the £535 for the peace of mind of knowing someone isn't going to nick my car, plus if you're car is pinched and you're insurance company finds out you had a key stolen they would probably find some way of not paying out

i was thinking if they were stolen from the house by a break in along with house keys then your house insurance should pay out along with change of house locks

where was your key stolen from?

the key was stolen from my room together with my driver's license and my credit/debit cards :(

So, what does your insurance company say about it?

The cost of getting a new drivers license as well as reprogramming the car may

be higher than going down the insurance road.

Seems it worked out well for MK320vt.

So, what does your insurance company say about it?

The cost of getting a new drivers license as well as reprogramming the car may

be higher than going down the insurance road.

Seems it worked out well for MK320vt.

i will contact my broker early in the morning. maybe they will pay for everything

• 3 weeks later...

it seems that i can claim about 600 pounds with Barclays. i have an additions active account and my Card Protection Policy covers the replacement of car/house locks and keys

but still it seems that it is quite expensive

from toyota i received the locks (except for the glove compartment.it seems that in UK there are no locks for the glove compartment) and they gave me only 1 valet key and 1 master key. they use my old spare key instead of giving me a new one

it seems that i can claim about 600 pounds with Barclays. i have an additions active account and my Card Protection Policy covers the replacement of car/house locks and keys

from toyota i received the locks (except for the glove compartment.it seems that in UK there are no locks for the glove compartment) and they gave me only 1 valet key and 1 master key. they use my old spare key instead of giving me a new one

they should have changed the barrel.

wat they will change the ecu so it cant be bypassed by the old key. so can only open car door door but not dis arm alarm. so alarm will go off as soon as door lock unlocked.

this is wat i did. got a lock set £150 and replaced the set. u get key, ecu, transponder.. the job lot.

then take door barrel out take to lock smith and had them alter to new key.

they should have changed the barrel.

wat they will change the ecu so it cant be bypassed by the old key. so can only open car door door but not dis arm alarm. so alarm will go off as soon as door lock unlocked.

this is wat i did. got a lock set £150 and replaced the set. u get key, ecu, transponder.. the job lot.

then take door barrel out take to lock smith and had them alter to new key.

sorry sorry sorry

they changed the barrel. i just forgot to mention. the changed everything but they gave me just an extra key (not 2 new ones) and they changed the code on my old key

Speaking of keys, what about the batteries in the key itself? Are they charged when you put the key in the ignition? My car is 10 years old and i bought it new, but never changed batteries or anything in the keys

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links