Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Brake's & Exhaust Problems

egnm1969

Hi,

I live in Spain & 2/3 weeks ago I recently got an Auris, but I've noticed a few "wierd" things about it...

Firstly the front brakes don't seem to be working properly as there is absolutely no wear on the Front discs when compared to the back discs... and when I mean nothing, I mean they look like they came out of the box/packet they were shipped in... completely virginal ???!!! :blink: Meanwhile the back discs/pads show the usual wear on the discs and there's always a s*itload of brake dust on the rims after having driven it anywhere. Do Auris' give off that much brake dust everytime you drive somewhere ??!! :blink: I was worried so I took the car back to the Dealer and they examined it and said there's nothing wrong with it. Still not convinced, I took it to the local ITV place (they're the Spanish equivalent of an MOT checking centre... not the TV Channel back in the UK :D ) and they tested all 4 discs and pads seperately and found them to be all working 100%... the front's braking more than the rears. My question is, is this normal to have completely fresh looking discs with absolutely no brake dust at all after 3 weeks of driving (considering the performance so far of the rear pads/discs) or have Toyota come up with some new wacky technology for braking ? Seems completely screwy to me...

Secondly, I've noticed that when you first start the car up that day a small plume of black smoke comes out of the exhaust ? Is this because of the Diesel I'm using, or is it some quirk the car's got ?

Thanks

Hi,

I live in Spain & 2/3 weeks ago I recently got an Auris, but I've noticed a few "wierd" things about it...

Firstly the front brakes don't seem to be working properly as there is absolutely no wear on the Front discs when compared to the back discs... and when I mean nothing, I mean they look like they came out of the box/packet they were shipped in... completely virginal ???!!! :blink: Meanwhile the back discs/pads show the usual wear on the discs and there's always a s*itload of brake dust on the rims after having driven it anywhere. Do Auris' give off that much brake dust everytime you drive somewhere ??!! :blink: I was worried so I took the car back to the Dealer and they examined it and said there's nothing wrong with it. Still not convinced, I took it to the local ITV place (they're the Spanish equivalent of an MOT checking centre... not the TV Channel back in the UK :D ) and they tested all 4 discs and pads seperately and found them to be all working 100%... the front's braking more than the rears. My question is, is this normal to have completely fresh looking discs with absolutely no brake dust at all after 3 weeks of driving (considering the performance so far of the rear pads/discs) or have Toyota come up with some new wacky technology for braking ? Seems completely screwy to me...

Secondly, I've noticed that when you first start the car up that day a small plume of black smoke comes out of the exhaust ? Is this because of the Diesel I'm using, or is it some quirk the car's got ?

Thanks

The brake dust is absolutely normal. They have measured the brakes separately, so you shouldn't worried about it. :) Somehow my rear discs are weared more too. So don't worry.

The dust from the exhaust is normal when you turn it on. I just notice when I use it in the city. After highways, there is no dust at all, when I turn it on.

Thanks Mountain_Mania... I've seen brake dust on my previous car's but never this much, but I have to admit it's a first for me to have brakes that are apparently fully working, but yet don't leave a mark on the brake disc !! Wierd... :blink:

Anyway, thanks very much for your advice :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links