Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hit Wall At 2,500 Revs

Sedger

Hi as a newcomer let me thank evryone on advance for this really useful forum (unlike a lot of things on the internet.)

I've a recently aquired 2002/3 Rav4. I've noticed that at around 2,500 revs, if I press throttle. I get a fluttering noise a bit like a valve "letting pressure out" and a lack of urge. It will go thru 2,500 but takes coaxing and soon drops of if there is an incline.

I'm thinking either ECU or turbo. Any views

Hi as a newcomer let me thank evryone on advance for this really useful forum (unlike a lot of things on the internet.)

I've a recently aquired 2002/3 Rav4. I've noticed that at around 2,500 revs, if I press throttle. I get a fluttering noise a bit like a valve "letting pressure out" and a lack of urge. It will go thru 2,500 but takes coaxing and soon drops of if there is an incline.

I'm thinking either ECU or turbo. Any views

Hi Sedger,

Welcome to the Forum - if you give more information re your RAV - petrol/diesel etc someone will surely give you good advice

Guy

Welcome to the club.

Just have a flick through these. There is a vsv (vacuum sensing valve) and a turbo pressure sensor that are both capable of generating those symptoms. Its worth a look before you condem the turbo;

location.pdf

vsv.pdf

turbo_pressure.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Whoa - sorry about the delay in posting - I've been abroad for a few weeks.

Long story short - Toyota dealer checked out the Rav - no codes. Checked the issues in the very helpful response - no problem detected. Technician told me there was build up of carbon - said bring it in, I'll sort it in a couple of hours. I thought it was a patronising sort of response. But heres the strange thing - driving away from the garage I floored it, huge cloud of smoke, now it goes like a stoat.

Wadya think..... :thumbsup:

I know of a few turbo wastegates sticking due to carbon deposit build up in the turbo. Possibly stuck open because of this, giving you the symptoms you described.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links