Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

225/60r14's For Ma61 Celica Supra

Kiff

After much investigation, it now seems like this size tyre is no longer available new in the correct speed rating. Although the tyre size is still current, the speed rating is too low and if fitted can cause (if noticed) an MOT failure and if (god forbid) you were involved in an accident, your insurance company could refuse to pay out.

I e-mailed Avon (now Cooper) about the problem and the responce I got was "I am forwarding this on to my colleagues for consideration" which to be honest, doesn't sound too hopeful, however, if enough of us contact them, they might actually do something about it.

If you want to keep your MA61 Celica-Supra safely on stock rims, please help by contacting Avon at the following e-mail address.

PVine@coopertire.com

I dont know who told you that but thats rubbish. You cant fail an MOT for having tyres which are not of standard size.

Forget the Avon 225's, even if they were still available they werent much good.

Cooper Cobra's are far better tyres and they are available in 215 and 235. Much better for the car than the standard 205's and 225's.

They are H rated so up to 118mph but seeing as that is above the National Speed Limit it shouldnt matter.

I personally wouldnt drive a MK2 Supra above 110mph anyway as the chassis isnt very stable at high speeds. The trailing arm rear suspension is only any good for going sideways.

There are no safety issues using slightly wider tyres on the standard rims. If you are worried about your insurance then simply let them know about the different side tyres.

Im running 275's (9.5J Rim) on the back of my Supra when the stock Nasp tyre size is 225 (8J Rim). I told my insurance company as i dont want to leave anything to chance if i made a claim.

I dont know who told you that but thats rubbish. You cant fail an MOT for having tyres which are not of standard size.

Forget the Avon 225's, even if they were still available they werent much good.

Cooper Cobra's are far better tyres and they are available in 215 and 235. Much better for the car than the standard 205's and 225's.

They are H rated so up to 118mph but seeing as that is above the National Speed Limit it shouldnt matter.

The "rubbish" I was told was at an insurance seminar when I worked in the tyre industry, the size is not the important factor, it's the speed rating of the tyre. Your insurance company can refuse to pay out a claim if your speed rating is too low, ie having a T rated tyre (117mph), rather than H rated (130mph) that is specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

Cooper Cobra's are only T rated, when I e-mailed Avon/Cooper with the tyre size, they told me. The minimum you should have on a MK2 Celica Supra is H rated.

Speed ratings as follows

S rated tyres are upto 113mph

T rated tyres are upto 117mph

H rated tyres are upto 130mph

V rated tyres are upto 150mph

Regardless of what speed you do on the road, you have to stick to the minimum speed rating the vehicle manufacturer recommends!

I mean 'rubbish' that it can fail an MOT. Its just not true. The tyres need to be within the limitations of the arches, must not rub anything, must not have any foreign objects in them (nails/screws etc) and must be in road worth condition.

I could call up my insurance company and tell them my tyres are made out of jam donuts. As long as they accept this and it is written down as a modification on the policy then they cannot wriggle out of it when a claim comes. As by accepting it and not ending the policy - its covered. And i would easily take my insurance company to court and win.

Even on an S rated tyre, seeing as the national speed limit is 70mph you are exceeding the speed limit to get anywhere near the limitations of the tyre.

So if your insurance company refused to pay out it would be down to you breaking the law rather than what tyres you have.

If i had a tyre failure at 70mph which wrote off my car and the insurance company said "we're not paying out because your tyres 'only' go up to 113mph even though you told us" i would take them to court and bleed them dry!

• 2 months later...

The 2.8 Supra tyres are hard to come by but not impossible, i have a set of TOYO 600-F5's on my car with the correct speed rating, i spent many weeks phoning and emailing tyres dealers in the south of UK asking if they had any old stock, and slowly one by one built up a set...so not impossible just time consuming...good luck.

IMG_1270.jpg

2771618386_a298aeab7c_b.jpg

Just had a look around the net to see what's still available, seems its now only the 235 60 14 tyre , they are sold by www.mytyres.co.uk and retail at £90.20

They are speed rated at 118 mph ( T ) and with the car traveling at a true 60mph, the speedo would in fact be 61.2 mph but as the supra's speedo under reads by a good 3mph at 60 its not a problem.

Mot is not a problem, just ring your insurance first about the speed rating and tyre width and if they are happy, problem sorted :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links