Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Beware!

Red Yaris 54

I feel that this is worth taking note of.............. I received this from my sister:

This happened to a friend of my sisters at the weekend. She didn't give them any payments and rang the police.

The new telephone 'scam' has arrived.

"I received a call from a 'representative' of BT,informing me that he was dis-connecting me because of an unpaid bill. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 , or it would be £118.00 to re-connect at a later date.

The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, allegedly VM have to pay BT a percentage for line rental!

I asked the guy's name - the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number - 0800 0800 152.

Obviously the fella realized I wasn't believing his story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would dis-connect my phone to prevent this.

AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again.

Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said credit card, there & then.

I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no intention of paying him , I didn't believe his name or that he worked for BT.

He hung up.

Did 1471 & phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognised.

I phoned the police to let them know , I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently but it is escalating.

Their advice was to let as many people know by word of mouth of this scam. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please let as many friends & family aware of this.

This is good but not that clever. He gave the wrong number - it should have been 0800 800152 which takes you through to BT Business.

The cutting off of the line is very simple , he stays on the line with the mute button on and you can't dial out - but he can hear to trying (This is because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it).

When you stop trying he cuts off and immediately calls back.. You could almost be convinced! The sad

thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool the elderly and vulnerable."

Please be aware that this can happen to anyone with a phone.

Obviously the fella realized I wasn't believing his story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would dis-connect my phone to prevent this.

AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again.

Very simple...

If someone phones you and you hang up the phone while they remain on the line it remains connected, when you pick the phone back up the other person will still be there as long as they don't hang up. To give the impression your line is dead all he would need to do is put you on hold or something similar.. it remains connected but your side appears to be dead.

Very simple...

If someone phones you and you hang up the phone while they remain on the line it remains connected, when you pick the phone back up the other person will still be there as long as they don't hang up. To give the impression your line is dead all he would need to do is put you on hold or something similar.. it remains connected but your side appears to be dead.

It's true.... the caller initiates the call so the caller has to be the one to end the call!

It does seem genuine enough, would certainly advise people to be on their guard and if in doubt, hang up and re-dial BT directly who will confirm whether or not your line will genuinely be disconnected! :yes:

I would suggest if this scam happens to anyone that they ask the"BT representative" calling to put their request for payment in writing.

Never give them your address though.........................The real BT will already have your address

I used to do the fake hang up thing with the mute button to wind up my girlfriends back in the day!.. old trick!

Hmm!.......you do have an African accent as well :ph34r::lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe there are ways to scam the scammers, ask the caller for a BT security number to confirm who they are. They will have to make something up, no matter what number they give you, tell them it is wrong. Ask them if they want to go away and check and get back to you, at this point they will either hang up or come back with another number that will be wrong. Either way you can tell them that without the security number you cannot give out any details and just hang up. The longer you can keep them talking the less time they have to scam others and the larger their bill will be (if of course they are not using a stolen line to call you).

It is a sad fact of life that criminals will use any methods they can to steal from us.

Here are a few websites that list scams...

http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/index.php

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/

http://www.hassocksnhw.org.uk/scams.htm

I had some bloke phone up a while ago with an african accent claiming to be from BT. He asked for a lot of personal details, like customer number, address etc. to confirm it was the right number he was talking to. I just told him that I wouldn't give any personal information out on an un-solicited call, he could have been anybody, and that if he was BT, he would be able to verify from his end what number he was connected to. Any information BT had to send, they could send in writing, and I hung up. With caller ID I vet every call, and if it comes up number withheld, or outside area, this makes me doubly cautious.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this information.I was not aware of this.I will always be aware of such kind of crime.

Thanks for the heads up on this one steve :thumbsup:

I recieved a call about 20 minutes ago from a bloke with an asian accent claiming to be from a personal accident claims company ( or at least thats what i thought he said ) he said that they were contacting people who had - had an accident in the last 3 years through no fault of their own, and that i had been brought to their attention , " oh yeh " says me , who might i be then ? , whats my name ? , he avoided the question and talked really quickly babelling on and i had trouble understanding what he was going on about , i cut him short by telling him to shut up and go xxxx himself , i then hung up , and dialled 1471 , i was informed that the caller had withheld their number .

Probably yet another scam whereby they gleen personal information from you in order to alleviate you of your hard earned cash . besides i've not had an accident in the last 3 years , i'm sure there are countless people who may have had though , and are gullible enough to fall for this .

ASDA SHOPPING SCAM - PLEASE BE WARNED!!!!

I don't know if any of you shop at ASDA, but this may be useful to know. I am posting this to warn you of a clever scam that happened to me on a recent shopping trip to my local ASDA. I became a victim of this, so please beware, it could happen to you.

Here's how the scam works.

As you load your shopping into your boot, two extremely good looking girls, about 18 years old, approach the front of the car, and start cleaning the screen with a sponge and a bucket of water. They are wearing skimpy t-shirts which are soaking wet, have no bra's on, and, like me, you'll find it impossible not to look. I politely thanked them for what they were doing but made it clear I wasn't paying them money to clean my screen. "No, we don't want money, we do this for nothing, but we've now done all the cars here, so could you give us a lift to Tesco?" they'll ask.

If you agree, they'll both get in the back seat, and start having s*x with each other on the way. Then one will climb into the front seat, and start performing oral s*x on you as you drive, at this point, whilst you are so distracted, the other one steals your wallet.

I've had my wallet stolen last Thursday, on Saturday, twice on Sunday and again today.

ASDA SHOPPING SCAM - PLEASE BE WARNED!!!!

I don't know if any of you shop at ASDA, but this may be useful to know. I am posting this to warn you of a clever scam that happened to me on a recent shopping trip to my local ASDA. I became a victim of this, so please beware, it could happen to you.

Here's how the scam works.

As you load your shopping into your boot, two extremely good looking girls, about 18 years old, approach the front of the car, and start cleaning the screen with a sponge and a bucket of water. They are wearing skimpy t-shirts which are soaking wet, have no bra's on, and, like me, you'll find it impossible not to look. I politely thanked them for what they were doing but made it clear I wasn't paying them money to clean my screen. "No, we don't want money, we do this for nothing, but we've now done all the cars here, so could you give us a lift to Tesco?" they'll ask.

If you agree, they'll both get in the back seat, and start having s*x with each other on the way. Then one will climb into the front seat, and start performing oral s*x on you as you drive, at this point, whilst you are so distracted, the other one steals your wallet.

I've had my wallet stolen last Thursday, on Saturday, twice on Sunday and again today.

:naughty::naughty::nono: although it is actually quite funny , :lol::lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links