Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla D4d Turbo Problem

BazMul

Hey everyone, over the last few weeks my Engine Management Light has been coming on and off quite sporadically however very recently it has been staying on with a noticeable loss in power with the turbo not firing like it should especially when the engine is cold. it's a 2.0 D4D and there are now about 100k miles on the car. The car does not seem to be on 'limp mode' as the revs will go above the 2000 deadline and will speed up to 70mph (eventually). I'm not sure what the diagnostic code is as i have not put it on a reader as yet (the one i was sent was a U380 did not speak to the car's OBD) . Any help would be VM appreciated.

When did you last get it serviced? I drive a D4D 2002 and same thing occurs. A service gets it back to normal.

I've been having troubles with my engine light also. I think the toyota sensors are just set a little too sensitive...sometimes I think toyota's are really reliable and good cars but they lack the attention to detail (such as the setting of the sensor) which the germans seem to get spot on time in time out.

When did you last get it serviced? I drive a D4D 2002 and same thing occurs. A service gets it back to normal.

The car was services back in August but only a minor one - oil change etc. There was no need to change the fuel filter (only 20k miles done since the last change). So do you have low acceleration as well then? Also, do you have the car serviced via Toyota? i.e. is the ECU reset (faults cleared). i feel that the turbo is trying to kick in but then isn't quite able to. Other times the turbo works fine but the management light stays on most of the time. I presumed it must be something to do with the fuel system so if you say a service reset the problem then itis maybe the fuel filter? How often do you service the car (and how often would this problem come up?)

Yea i had the exact same problem. you can fell it trying to kick in then sometimes even with the engine light on it works fine. I got its annual service with toyota after it happened and it hasnt happened since. The problem starting appearing when it was well overdue a service. next service is due shorty but its been fine since the annual. Very annoying when it happens. Toyota never told me the problem but i did inform them of it. They said no problem and that seemed obvious that its sommit very simple like the filters.

My mileage is currently 185000

Service at 164000

Oil Filter

Oil

(The Problem occurred between these periods)

Full service at 173000

Air Filter

Fuel Filter

Oil Filter

Oil

and some little minor things.

Hey KC,

Thanks very much for your input. I'm bringing her to the mechanic today for a new fuel filter and oil replacement. It's reassuring (if it is the same thing) that it's nothing serious.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this.

Will let you know if the service cures it.

Let me know how it goes..?

OK KC a bit more information:

I got a diagnostic check done on the car and read as P1228 code. This is the fuel pump it says.

I have done a bit of research and this is quite a common fault with Toyotas and it is actually the fuel pressure control valves (The common abbreviation is SCV's which stands for surge control valves. The part is available separately and i'm currently enquiring through Partsking (a guy who sells through this forum) about getting the correct parts.

I'll keep you informed how it goes...

:unsure:

Hey everyone, this is really one everyone should know. The replacement kit is called a Governor Kit and it includes the SCV's. Apparently quite common with the diesel pump. Replaced now by Toyota - £300 all-in and the car's going well, no EM light etc.

Pass it on!

:lol:

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone, this is really one everyone should know. The replacement kit is called a Governor Kit and it includes the SCV's. Apparently quite common with the diesel pump. Replaced now by Toyota - £300 all-in and the car's going well, no EM light etc.

Pass it on!

Hi ther Baz, My wife's Corolla had the engine management light come on this morning. The garage read a code of P1228 but it was defined as "Unknown". After a few calls between the garage and Toyota and they came back to me and said a new pump was needed and we were looking at £700. I then told him, that in the meantime I'd come across this thread and he is going to go back to Toyota with this info. Can you just confirm your car is still running fine please?... Thanks for the post, hopefully will save us some cash!! That's what I love about this forum!!

Cheers,

Daz

I feel really bad for all these problems the D-4D owners seem to encounter... just for the book I've done over 40k on my baby and have had her serviced every 10k with an oil change every 5k... Still runs a treat even with the chip provided from Kingo!

To be honest, we've had the car 6 years and put 120k miles on in that time. We've had it faithfully serviced by Toyota and to be fair this is only the 2nd major problem we've had. At 97k miles the idle tensioner pulley belt (or something like that) went and casue the oil pump to go, which sent bits of metal into the crank and the crank had to be repalced. Luckily Toyota told us it was a £600 max fix. Total cost was £1600 but they footed the rest of the bill after we pointed out the £600 max that we were told. Apparently the bit that caused the fault was due to be changed at the 100k mile service. Damn! Generally the car runs very well and has been very reliable. :-)

Pass it on!

Hi ther Baz, My wife's Corolla had the engine management light come on this morning. The garage read a code of P1228 but it was defined as "Unknown". After a few calls between the garage and Toyota and they came back to me and said a new pump was needed and we were looking at £700. I then told him, that in the meantime I'd come across this thread and he is going to go back to Toyota with this info. Can you just confirm your car is still running fine please?... Thanks for the post, hopefully will save us some cash!! That's what I love about this forum!!

Cheers,

Daz

PM me for prices of the SCV kit

Kingo :thumbsup:

iam not sure if the set up is different from the 2.0 d4d and the 1.4 d4d, but this scv is it just above the fuel filter and has an electricial connection?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links