Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Wipers/ New Blades

Mc Tavish

Ive had a look for the previous posts regarding the wiper discusion but cant find it, however ive just been to Mr T today for new wipers as the blades didnt seem to be touching the screen at the top reach of arm and was getting fed up with the lines the wipers were leaving while clearing and as the weather was fine when i left the garage i couldnt try the wipers and as the day progressed and my journey home was long the heavens opened and wipers are worse than before!!!! i contacted Mr T and the wipers werent changed just the blades / rubbers and im £17 down and still not getting clear screen !! Help what is going on ? should i just have went to Halfords and put a set o Bosch on it?

Ive had a look for the previous posts regarding the wiper discusion but cant find it, however ive just been to Mr T today for new wipers as the blades didnt seem to be touching the screen at the top reach of arm and was getting fed up with the lines the wipers were leaving while clearing and as the weather was fine when i left the garage i couldnt try the wipers and as the day progressed and my journey home was long the heavens opened and wipers are worse than before!!!! i contacted Mr T and the wipers werent changed just the blades / rubbers and im £17 down and still not getting clear screen !! Help what is going on ? should i just have went to Halfords and put a set o Bosch on it?

They usually work fine if they have been fitted properly. I would take it back because they should be perfect, those blades can be used over and over with new rubbers.

get them flat blades of fleabay there a tenner for the pair and they are brill

Don't see them for a tenner, but have previously bought from wipex.co.uk for Avensis, both their normal and flat types, and found they worked perfectly well.

Reasonably priced and quick dely. service.

Regards,

Big Kev.

Coincidentally I have just bought blades for the front for mine today. I thought they did just the rubber but they said no, so I got the Wiper Blades as well. They were £13.20 for the pair.

Part no 85212-YZZCR drivers side

Part no 85212-YZZAF passenger side.

Haggled for discount as they were £15.22 and got a bit off.

Good luck with yours.

I thought the blades were supposed to be around £50 a set?

I can see some posts are mentioning just the rubber blades, but the last post would suggest full Toyota replacements???

They usually work fine if they have been fitted properly. I would take it back because they should be perfect, those blades can be used over and over with new rubbers.

Had a closer look at new rubbers is there a "side" to them ? should the blades sit a certain way? When the guy from garage was fitting them i noticed that at the top reach of the blades the rubber was not even touching the glass and he even took a new blade off 2009 new rav to try and it appeared to be more curved at rest compared to mine which was definatley more straight? however he gently put a bit o pressure on metal strips and blades were sitting better but as previously stated couldn't try them in dry. I have also noticed that the lines appearing when wiping screen are at the guides where the rubber and tensioning strip fits through on main body of wiper? Do you think its fixable or is it a replacement set o wipers needed (wont be getting the £60 set) have priced a valeo performance set at just under £20? or a set of Bosch? Whats your thoughts ?

Its fixable.

Just look at the 4.2 pinned instructions at the top of the page.

Genuine wipers are about £45 a pair but Kingo's Optifits are much less (about £15 ish I think). They are still Toyota but the conventional type.

Valeo ones are OK but try the fix first and note the shape of the spring inserts. I think you will find they have been fitted upside down which lifts the ends off the screen.

Its fixable.

Genuine wipers are about £45 a pair but Kingo's Optifits are much less (about £15 ish I think). They are still Toyota but the conventional type.

Valeo ones are OK but try the fix first and note the shape of the spring inserts. I think you will find they have been fitted upside down which lifts the ends off the screen.

Yes the "Optifit" blades work very well and are about £15 per pair delivered (ish) in fact cheaper than replacing the "rubbers" (I'm waiting for the oooh errr jokes to come in) :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Its fixable.

Hi again i followed the instructions and all seemed to be ok but when i put it all back on Rav and when using the window washer for water and using wipers the lines remain...! the lines /streaks appear at the point where the rubbers of blades fit through the guides on the main body of wiper??? ,its as if the rubber on replacement is too soft and unable to withstand the pressure being applied from wiper arms and is deforming rubber when on cycle...?? strange i know but its starting to get to me as no dobut if it was MOT time it would be a obvious fail! thank god its not but again it will mean a 150 mile round trip back to garage just for wipers?? a bit excessive dont you think :unsure:

Its fixable.

Hi again i followed the instructions and all seemed to be ok but when i put it all back on Rav and when using the window washer for water and using wipers the lines remain...! the lines /streaks appear at the point where the rubbers of blades fit through the guides on the main body of wiper??? ,its as if the rubber on replacement is too soft and unable to withstand the pressure being applied from wiper arms and is deforming rubber when on cycle...?? strange i know but its starting to get to me as no dobut if it was MOT time it would be a obvious fail! thank god its not but again it will mean a 150 mile round trip back to garage just for wipers?? a bit excessive dont you think :unsure:

Hi McT

You are in the top groove with the claws aren't you?

If so I can't imagine what is wrong (can you photograph them?) but there is no way I would do 150 miles, I would phone your dealer and ask him to post you some replacements or even get some Optifits off Kingo and bin those. It'll cost you £30 or so in juice never mind time.

Its fixable.

Hi McT

You are in the top groove with the claws aren't you?

If so I can't imagine what is wrong (can you photograph them?) but there is no way I would do 150 miles, I would phone your dealer and ask him to post you some replacements or even get some Optifits off Kingo and bin those. It'll cost you £30 or so in juice never mind time.

Hi Anchorman thanks for the reply will photo them tomorrow and try and show you .........Stay Tuned ...! :P

DSCF0288.jpgDSCF0289.jpgDSCF0284.jpgDSCF0283.jpg

As you can see the streaks are in direct line of sight and is very annoying when driving new rubbers in them and they look as if they are fitted correctly but if you can see anything please feel free to jump in at any time help very much needed!!!

DSCF0288.jpgDSCF0289.jpgDSCF0284.jpgDSCF0283.jpg

As you can see the streaks are in direct line of sight and is very annoying when driving new rubbers in them and they look as if they are fitted correctly but if you can see anything please feel free to jump in at any time help very much needed!!!

Are you sure the shells are original fit? Mine are and have a convex 'spoiler' shape moulded along the bottom edge. Can't tell from photos if yours are the same.

It looks OK in the photo McT but just check the attached PDF. The anchor end shown in your first photo should be at the arm end of the blade. If it isn't, swap it around. When you push the blade through the guides they should be absolutely free to slide or it will concentrate pressure under the guides and cause those marks. The cut outs in the springs have engaged the cut outs in the rubber haven't they? The cut outs are offset.

Just have a quick check and see.................

wiper_rubber.pdf

There may have already been a mention of this, try wiperblades.co.uk. They do the Bosch wipers that came top in a product test article & prices are lower than OEM ones.

Also worth mentioning my rear blade was changed at a service by mr T & the result was rubbish; lots of lines & patches left behind. I found that he metal ribs were not re-inserted the right way (or was bent during fitting). Once I turned them around, it was all fine. Although this will not help you with the position of the blade

It looks OK in the photo McT but just check the attached PDF. The anchor end shown in your first photo should be at the arm end of the blade. If it isn't, swap it around. When you push the blade through the guides they should be absolutely free to slide or it will concentrate pressure under the guides and cause those marks. The cut outs in the springs have engaged the cut outs in the rubber haven't they? The cut outs are offset.

Just have a quick check and see.................

wiper_rubber.pdf

Ive just been to my other independant "local 150 mile round trip" toyota dealer and got some opti fit wipers but wasnt to keen on style (im a fussy kinda person) so decided to try another set of rubbers for wipers and low and behold problem solved...!!!! :ffs: ...???? strange i hear you say? the rubbers this time came in toyota bags and the passenger side was finished neatly not CUT like the one uncle arnold fitted! and when changing the rubbers i noticed the rubbers felt slightly different new ones were slightly stiffer and slightly deeper ? of course im not best pleased cause i think Arnie's been tugging my chain!!!!:censor: and will be phoning uncle A tomorrow :censor:

Anchorman can you tell me cause im thick the stop end of the rubber blade when the wiper arm is at rest and parked where should it be? looking at it from front of car should it be on left or right? Thanks in advance..................im just glad i can go driving in the rain now! :thumbsup:

It should be on the left towards the drivers side of the car. It sounds like they fitted cheap and chearful aftermarket refils instead of the proper inserts. If they are the wrong depth by only a very small amount, the guides will lift pressure off the rubber and cause the streaking.

It should be on the left towards the drivers side of the car. It sounds like they fitted cheap and chearful aftermarket refils instead of the proper inserts. If they are the wrong depth by only a very small amount, the guides will lift pressure off the rubber and cause the streaking.

Thanks again never knew how complicated wipers could be!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Had to bite bullet and get a new set of Toyota wipers (£45 - rubber refund) as the streaks were bugging the life out of me and the good lady as she was dragged outside at all times night and day to check as well as the optifit as good as they may be the look of them did nothing for me at all so went with the replacements and problem sorted no more streaks and i have been warned by she who must be obeyed that the first sign of frost and she hears me trying to clear screen without letting it defrost first i have been told to make myself comfortable in the dogs house out side!!!

:censor: I have been warned :censor:

Thanks again for all your input :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links