Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Merits Of 1.8 & 1.8 Vvti & Cambelts

catalac08

Hi

looking for an Auto Avensis 1.8, year 2000 to 2002 to replace our aging Corolla and wondering if the VVTi engine is much better and much more economical than the older engine. Also how big a job is it changing a cambelt on these engines - reason I'm asking is that a dealer was trying to convince me it was an enormous (engine out ) job on the VVTi 1.8 but not the older 1.8!

*****Also I would like to say this forum is brilliant - so much knowledge here*****

To catalac08.

It is not a small job for sure to renew timing chain on the vvti engine (not having a belt), all vvti engines being chain drive. Why do you feel the need to renew the chain. I presume your older car to be a 7A-Fe engine which is belt driven. Both engines being very reliable (unless you find a dud 1.8 vvti that drinks oil) & reasonably economical.

Regards, Beagh.

Hi

looking for an Auto Avensis 1.8, year 2000 to 2002 to replace our aging Corolla and wondering if the VVTi engine is much better and much more economical than the older engine. Also how big a job is it changing a cambelt on these engines - reason I'm asking is that a dealer was trying to convince me it was an enormous (engine out ) job on the VVTi 1.8 but not the older 1.8!

*****Also I would like to say this forum is brilliant - so much knowledge here*****

Hi there, no worries about the cambelt the 1.8 vvti has a chain :D The only big worry with this engine is that Toyota had a problem with the piston rings and it became an oil burner so a lot of them had new engines fitted under warranty which was extended to 7 years providing the car had full service history. There will be a range of Toyota engine numbers that this problem applies to and i do not have that info for you, sorry. You need to find out if the car has had the new short engine as any you buy car will be out of warranty now .... service history or not! I'm sure you will get loads of replies to your question and someone may give you more info regarding the exact period for this engine. Good second hand engines for this model are like rocking horse poo so don't get talked into that one.

Good luck with you search, best regards .. Pete. ( sorry Beagh you posted while i was typing, just seen yours mate)

To catalac08.

It is not a small job for sure to renew timing chain on the vvti engine (not having a belt), all vvti engines being chain drive. Why do you feel the need to renew the chain. I presume your older car to be a 7A-Fe engine which is belt driven. Both engines being very reliable (unless you find a dud 1.8 vvti that drinks oil) & reasonably economical.

Regards, Beagh.

thanks Beagh, please excuse my ignorance about most things Toyota - do I take it that the older 1.8 engine in the Avensis has a cambelt and the VVTi 1.8 has a chain. Just trying to clarify whether the VVTi engine is much better or whether the older engine has merit eg does not have the oil burning possibility of the VVTi. Just trying to anticipate getting an old Avensis and feeling the need to change the cambelt/camchain in the event there is uncertainty about age of belt/chain.

thanks

To catalac08.

Toyota as a whole make very very reliable cars full stop. But like all other manufacturers, due to strict emission rules, your average car is fitted with more & more components that can go wrong. The vvti engine is a lovely free reving engine, but most cars with the 7A-FE may well have a much higher milage, ie: Horse's for courses. So it would be best to take someone along with a mechanical background when purchasing. This forum would give you the impression that all 1.8 vvti engines guzzle oil , they don't. The vast majority will give you miles of good service if regulary serviced.

Regards, Beagh.

From personal experience I prefer the pre-VVTi engine, it's smoother, less 'thrashy' as it doesn't require revving as much and doesn't have the oil burning cloud hanging over it. The best Avensis of all were the pre-VVTi 2.0, not really any less economical and a lovely engine, particularly well suited to optional automatic gearbox.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links