Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Needed For Viewing A Coupleof Yari

Torque

Hello, looking at a couple of Yaris D-4Ds for the wife this coming weekend. Both are 2008 on '58' plates, one has covered 23k and the other 8k. The prices reflect the mileages.

I love Japanese reliability and I especially like the colour (dark grey) of the higher mileage one although the lower mileage red one is nice looking too. I just wondered if you knowledgeable, experienced folk could tell me anything to be aware of and look out for when we view them?

gearchange from 1st to second.. when the engine is COLD.

NO crunch.

Can anyone tell me the RFL bracket that these fall in to? Building a TR up on the Toyota website it comes to 109 g/km and honest John gives it as 119 g/km which falls in to band B and therefore the £35 bracket but no one quotes for the SR so I'm not sure if it's the same for all Yaris' with this engine :unsure:

Pre 09 Yaris D4D models were 119 g/km (£35 road tax). Early 09 they added the 6 speed box and little tweeks so the emissions dropped to 109.

BTW 09 model 1.33 petrol models with tthe 6 speed box are also 120g/km so enjoy the £35 tax along with a welcome boost to 100hp.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 1st-2nd crunch issue - nearly all 2008 Yarises do it, so you might struggle to find one that doesn't - and there's a warranty fix out now that cures it (in most cases).

Both mine cruched from new and the warranty fix completely cured them.

I was under the impression that it was 1.3 speed that had the possible crunch - does it also affect the 1.4 D4D 5 speed models? The 6 speed models are cruch free aren't they?

BTW 09 model 1.33 petrol models with tthe 6 speed box are also 120g/km so enjoy the £35 tax along with a welcome boost to 100hp.

£30 next year :thumbsup:

I was under the impression that it was 1.3 speed that had the possible crunch - does it also affect the 1.4 D4D 5 speed models? The 6 speed models are cruch free aren't they?

Certainly affects 1.3. I assumed that 5-speed gearbox was same on 1.3 and 1.4 even if they had different ratios, but I could be wrong....

Certainly 6-speed boxes are completely different...

Both sold :( oh well, back to searching the Autotrader and the Toyota site

£30 next year :thumbsup:

Shame that the increase in fuel tax will still mean we have to pay more of our hard earned to the money wasting government :censor:

Certainly affects 1.3. I assumed that 5-speed gearbox was same on 1.3 and 1.4 even if they had different ratios, but I could be wrong....

Certainly 6-speed boxes are completely different...

Thanks for the info.

Both sold :( oh well, back to searching the Autotrader and the Toyota site

On the plus side it does mean you are looking at a desirable car that should be easy to resell when the time comes...

If you are financing the purchase it may be worth looking at a new one as Toyota are offering a £500 saving (well they were last week) and low apr on their PCP plans. It reduces the cost difference.

Would be worth geting quotes from "drivethedeal.com" and "broadspeed.com".

They get "best" prices from Toyota dealers. They were quoting 16-18% discount on Yarii last week.

You might have to travel, but you'll know the very best price you can get a new car for and it might be cheaper (or the same) as a used one.

We got our 2008 SR 1.3 for just £10,000 brand new last year. Had to drive 100 miles to another Toyota dealer to collect, but well worth the trip for the saving....

(and at the very least it will give you a target price to negotiate with your local dealer)

I know that you were looking at "used" but you might find that a new one is only a couple of hundred pounds more...

Also - are you really sure you want a diesel.

We thought we wanted one originally, but for the mileage we do, I calculated that we'd have to drive for 8 years and 60,000 miles just to break even and recover the extra purchase costs.

In the end we drove the two back to back and my wife actually oreferrd the characteristics of the petrol engine, so we bought that one and saved a big initial extra outlay...

If you're sure you want a used one, use the Toyota web site to identify cars of the right spec around the country and ring up asking for each garage's "best price". You can then negotiate more locally knowing what you can buy for (or do like we did for our second Yaris and drive a couple of hundred miles to Swindon to get the right spec for the right price, because no one anywhere nearer could get anywhere near their price...)

Got £1800 off the list price of the new car, paid £10,300 for a 5-door 2008 SR incl metallic paint.

Got the used one for £8850 last July, as a 58 plate, one owner (the dealer), 7,000 miles and 9 months old....

There's not a 58-plate SR on toyota.co.uk for less than £9450 now....

I walked into one local dealer who had a red 5-door 2008 SR 58-plate advertised for £9995 (exactly the same age and spec as the one we bought) and asked him what he's take for it - he came back and offered £8900 there and then - but my daughter wanted a grey 3-door, so we got that from Swindon instead....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links