Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cat

EllaPovey

Hi all, I am looking for some advice....

I bought my RAV privately just about 3 months ago. Its a 2001 NRG VVTi model B) .

Anyway, just about a month after buying it the malfunction light came on so I took it down to my local independent garage. Even though it was showing a fault with the Cat the guys at the garage thought it was worth reseting the light and giving it the benefit of the doubt (the emmissions were tested and were fine). Anyway, since then the light has been on, then resetted free of charge by the ever so friendly garage people (helps when you work for trading standards and the majority of people in the office use this garage lol!) about 4 times in total (each time, the length of time between resetting the light and it coming back on gets less).

I had a chat with the owner of the garage on Thurs who said that even though the fault will not damage my car, it is something that will get worse so I will need to face this sooner or later :unsure:

Later that day he phoned me with a quote for 2 cats, link pipe & 4 lambda sensors (as well as the usual labour and VAT). The total came to £1,591.83 :jawdrop:

To his credit he did say that if I could source original parts any cheaper than he could he would be happy to fit them so my question is two fold:

Firstly, as the emissions are showing as ok, would it be possible just to replace the sensors and see what happens or

if this isnt possible, does anyone know acheap supplier of original parts??? :wacko:

Or, can anyone offer any alternative suggestions. :crybaby:

Hi

Sorry to hear about your problems, are you able to provide us with the fault codes that were displayed?

It seems a bit extreme to replace the Cat if the emissions are ok :g:

Hi

Sorry to hear about your problems, are you able to provide us with the fault codes that were displayed?

It seems a bit extreme to replace the Cat if the emissions are ok :g:

Hi,

Don't have the fault code to hand but no doubt I can get it if you think it will help.

If you could, that would be great.

The oxygen/lambda sensors are a slight weak link on this model. Normally you can replace the sensors and this will fix the fault (and wont cost you £1500!), the fault codes will help us find an answer for you :thumbsup:

Might be an ECU reprogramme for this? But also think that its linked to replacing the Cat convertors aswell. Fault codes will help if you can get them.

Hello again!

I spoke to the garage again today who tell me that the fault was "Cat Below Threshold":huh:

Now that means nothing to me but hopefully it does to someone out there?!

Any more suggestions on how to sort this problem out bearing in mind that my emmisions are ok?

Ta!

Sure there is a reprogramme and then replace the cats for these. Dealer should know this i would have thought.

Sure there is a reprogramme and then replace the cats for these. Dealer should know this i would have thought.

Sorry for sounding daft but what exactly do I need to say to the garage in this case, that the computer needs reprogramming and then put in new cats??? :huh:

Hi

It sounds like you've had a P0420 or P0430 (depending on which bank) code.

This can be as a result of a few things:

• An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
  • The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
  • Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
  • Retarded spark timing
  • The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings

Personally, I would change the sensors in pairs starting with Bank 1 Sensor 2 and Bank 2 Sensor 2 to see if this clears the fault. It is possible that you may have to change all four sensors (Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 1 as well).

With a bit of luck that would fix the fault without the need for a new Cat (saving you about £1000!). You could also go to another garage and ask for the fault codes just to make sure you've been given the right information by the first garage (or buy a reader off eBay for about £25).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links