Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T Sport Vs Type R

MicraSi

Hey guys totally new to this forum. Looking for some up front advice on the corolla t sport. Everyone round my way has type R's but i fancy a corolla t sport. How do they compare on straight line performance and handling.

Unfortunately the type R is faster a little bit and easier to tune and cheaper also.That has better cornering speed ,handling also about the rear dumpers:-(

Anyway i like better my 5door tsport and i usually beat type r-s in track days:-)))

The type r and cts cant really be compared, the type r in my opinon fits between the t sport and the compressor. now compressors are worthless buy one instead of a type r and not only will you show every type r up around, most will think its a normal t sport, in which case they will hang their heads in shame. oh another reason to avoid a type r is DON'T BE A SHEEP! type r's are fast becoming the new impreza........bit chavvy!

The type r and cts cant really be compared, the type r in my opinon fits between the t sport and the compressor. now compressors are worthless buy one instead of a type r and not only will you show every type r up around, most will think its a normal t sport, in which case they will hang their heads in shame. oh another reason to avoid a type r is DON'T BE A SHEEP! type r's are fast becoming the new impreza........bit chavvy!

I disagree.... the CTS & CTR are quite evenly matched... in the dry the CTR will edge it... in the wet the CTS wins...

The CTR does have better handling but even a set of lowering springs for the CTS will sort that...

Also the CTS has much more equipment as standard over the CTR....

But i do agree that the CTR is very chavvy... every boy racer has one...

Depending on your budget the CTS-C may not be worth it... more to buy/run

I dont think the type r is chavvy.....Its popular like the impreza because it is affordable, reliable, tuner friendly and yes popular because it is set up well for what it went to achieve.

In terms of performance, Beleive you me they are close,If you can go through the gears you will be infront. You only get people flaming each other but put it in to real world perspective. CTR has 8BHP more, weighs 3kg less.

I disagree.... the CTS & CTR are quite evenly matched... in the dry the CTR will edge it... in the wet the CTS wins...

The CTR does have better handling but even a set of lowering springs for the CTS will sort that...

Also the CTS has much more equipment as standard over the CTR....

But i do agree that the CTR is very chavvy... every boy racer has one...

Depending on your budget the CTS-C may not be worth it... more to buy/run

You aren't right,cause the lowrings are not enough.Check the rear suspension from CTR and CTS.The CTR has a rigid suspension and that can move separately not like CTS and which has a much harder like CTS.

agreed! also, compressors are far better value for money in my opinion - just so long as you don't get the 'friday afternoon' car...

You aren't right,cause the lowrings are not enough.Check the rear suspension from CTR and CTS.The CTR has a rigid suspension and that can move separately not like CTS and which has a much harder like CTS.

I don't quite follow that.... :huh:

The point i was making is that the CTS's stock handling isn't that bad... mine handles well in the twisties and is still on stock suspension...

Yes there is some boy roll but once you learn how the car behaves it's not a problem... lowering springs will eliminate some of the body roll and are a lot cheaper than going for a full suspension set up ;)

Our car wudnt handle betta than a ctr even if u do get lowering springs tbh, cts uses torsion beam ( correct me if I've spelt it wrong) whereas ctr uses independant suspension, I think the only way to probs beat a ctr around twisties is to get coilovers

well said will, However even coilovers william wouldnt eliminate the problem on track as you know, We cant adjust the rear camber even!

independant rear suspension is the biggest issue, camber adjustment equally important.

Theres a big difference on track, Straight line power is great and there is not much between the two. Its simple like putting kangzy against ckman in a straight line. Or even norfolk against me. There wont be a big difference aparts from some factors and obviously driver. Thats the same with the CTR.

On track it is a big difference cornering speed is vital. There is nothing in the straights i reckon at all, Obviously with a more focussed car the driver should be able to handle the power and the toyota goodies are great to help you out around corners.

But put 2 good drivers on track with bends and the simple explanation will be a ctr infront without a doubt.

CTR =

FRONT SUSPENSION - TOE LINK MACPHERSON STRUT

REAR SUSPENSION - DOUBLE WISHBONE

CTS =

FRONT SUSPENSION - MACPHERSON STRUT

REAR SUSPENSION - TORSION BEAM.

there basically the same...

nothing worth writing home about between the two...

just buy what you prefer...

in my book type r in standard guise is slightly better looking, but the tsport is better specced and cheaper and rarer..

Don't forget the vsc in the car!!!Very bad in CTS you cannot switch off that!We had a test in Hungary in 2003 from a newspaper and some Rally racer tested both of the cars at Hungaroring.CTR won with9 secs/lap about suspension,tyre size,handling,but the guy told if you have an option to switch off the VSC in CTS that will be 3 sec better/laps.I do a lot of track days and i cannot have a maximum cornering speed,cause TRC always beeping and brakes the wheels separately during my race.I need to take out the fuse this is the only thing what i can do.Anyway check these from Fifth Gear:

All this talk of CTS Vs CTR on a track is very interesting.... but in real world conditions there is little to separate the two cars...

For me the CTR, both versions, look bloody ugly!

CTS, cheaper to insure, better looking IMO, doesn't have the 'boy racer' tag, better standard spec and most importantly the look on people's faces when an 'old man's' car beats them is priceless! That's something you will never get with a CTR ;)

Yeah there is a fair bit of body roll with the T-sport lowering springs help alot ,but like norfolk says you soon learn how to handle the body roll and then its fine .It just requires a smooth fluid driving style.

I sometimes wonder if i would be able to go as fast as i do on country lanes with a harder suspension set up.

Its obvious that T-sport owners will say the T-sport....there are pros and cons to both cars...the type could be a better option better handling its more tunable theres a load of stuff out there thats at an affordable price but not much for the T-sport...the type has a better resal value and im my opinion it looks niice...i wouldnt class it as a boy racer and chavvy car because you have quite a few older type r owners not just young lads. The t-sport is more practicle and lower insurance group...its a good car thats why i own one.. :P

at the end of the day it's down to personal preference, I bought a TSport because

- it was cheaper to buy

- it's cheaper to run ( insurance, mpg )

- it's more convenient ( which is a bad thing on a track, but I used it as a normal car, long motorway runs )

softer suspension is an advantage, it won't make you spine come through your face every time you hit a pot

hole

- and found a better deal on a T-sport before found one on a Type-R, original was looking for a CTR but turned out CTS is just as good if not better for me.

well that clears that up then lol... just had a t sport compressor come in work for 7k might have a look at it. i used to have an auris sr 180 but got rid when i left the toyota plant.

Cheers for the commens jonno nice to know. You will like it dude but if you really want the next car for fun and want to put money in. I would say get a type r.

There is alot of good stuff for the money! Why not a nice example of a leon cupra r!

well if i only had the money to buy either CTS or CTR, my choice would be the type r

ever sat in a type r with a typhoon fitted ? if you thought our lift sounded good, you should hear ivtec through the lower gears, to me it sounds more verocious (sp?) and seemed to push me in my seat more than my CTS. that along with the suspension set up, that short shifter up near the steering wheel and them seats just top it off,

yeh fair enough our car may be better in the wet etc with vsc and traction controll, but to me that just shows that our CTS has been tamed and sort of put on a leash so to speak, ive heard of many stories from type r's loosing it in the wet but lets face it anyone whos racing in the wet never mind racing in the first place :rolleyes: is looking for trouble. to me the type r is more hardcore, better set up and is faster , maybe nothign in it 0-60 but after that then the type r will start pulling away, fact. just remember any money you put into a CTS you can put the same into a CTR and the CTR will keep on winning.

i have nothing against my CTS (well apart from my frigging seat pins) and love it everytime i hit lift, i could not have chose a CTR in the first place due to the cost of them when i got my CTS, but if i had the money now that i had back when i got my CTS then i would save the extra pennies and get a compressor :)

Hey guys totally new to this forum. Looking for some up front advice on the corolla t sport. Everyone round my way has type R's but i fancy a corolla t sport. How do they compare on straight line performance and handling.

get yer auris sr 180 chipped!

edit:- sorry mate, didn't read the whole thread before posting this...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links