Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Few Questions I Need Help With On A T180 / Sr180

Rick D4D

Our T180 has done about 29k now and have about 10months warranty left, I have a couple of questions I need help with

1.The thing is when you accelerate at 100% full throttle there is a point when you get a bit of clatter or pinking. This is a not a lot but it is 100% there so is this common on all T180 / SR180 or could we have an injection problem etc?

2.On the heating controls their appears to be a light under the off button, does this ever light up as I have never seen it working on our car? Maybe it works all the time to show you where the off button is or does it only work when the heating is off?

This is the heating controls we have

DSCF0487.jpg

3. At the moment we seem to be only able to manage about 33mpg - 35mpg over a tank of diesel, now the wife has a local job her journeys are about 5miles / 15 minutes each way per day so with the colder weather is this about right? Its just that last year when she did 15 miles each way we got about 39mpg so was not sure if this is down to the colder weather, but when it was warmer we where getting about 38mpg – 41mpg.

I don't really want to bother the dealer with this if its normal but if not the warranty is running out so I need to get this looked at etc.

Our T180 has done about 29k now and have about 10months warranty left, I have a couple of questions I need help with

1.The thing is when you accelerate at 100% full throttle there is a point when you get a bit of clatter or pinking. This is a not a lot but it is 100% there so is this common on all T180 / SR180 or could we have an injection problem etc?

What you describe is the variable nozzle turbo struggling to keep up with the throttle demand, becasue it has not built enough boost...and you are running low revs at the time you "boot it" it is not best running of the engine but should not affect durability, i think because the power output, the turbo is big, and hence the boost needed greater, giving the throttle a quick wide open throttle at low revs means it has not built the boost... and you get the chatter rattley noise...if you are going to boot it ensure the car is doing over 2000rpm...

2.On the heating controls their appears to be a light under the off button, does this ever light up as I have never seen it working on our car? Maybe it works all the time to show you where the off button is or does it only work when the heating is off?

it only lights up when you operate the off button and so you either have 3 lights when on or you have the off light on on its own... weird...but hey ho its is the toyota way...

This is the heating controls we have

DSCF0487.jpg

3. At the moment we seem to be only able to manage about 33mpg - 35mpg over a tank of diesel, now the wife has a local job her journeys are about 5miles / 15 minutes each way per day so with the colder weather is this about right? Its just that last year when she did 15 miles each way we got about 39mpg so was not sure if this is down to the colder weather, but when it was warmer we where getting about 38mpg – 41mpg.

welcome to the T180, to get really good fuel consumption you really need to drive it between 1500 and 2000rpm... with no heavy foot... it has taken me 7 months to figurte out how to get 45-47 mpg and it is boring (drive at 65mph on the motorway and don't accelerate EVER... my advice ? enjoy the fact that you bought 180 horses... ;-)

I don't really want to bother the dealer with this if its normal but if not the warranty is running out so I need to get this looked at etc.

nothing malfunctioning in your car , all normal...

Thanks for that but the light has gone out on the off button as it does not work when its off either

I have never seen the light on under "OFF" button...

hummm mine works. I press the off button and the off light goes on... :clap:

in that case you have a warrantable claim... albeit probably one you can resolve in your next regular service interval

hummm mine works. I press the off button and the off light goes on... :clap:

in that case you have a warrantable claim... albeit probably one you can resolve in your next regular service interval

Yes thanks for that I will have a quick look at the lamp and if its that will do it myself otherwise I will leave it to Toyota to sort out

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links