Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Light On Clutch

pauly_g

Hi,

I came across this on another thread here http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41981

I just wondered if anyone could expand on this for me. I'm having a similar problem with my 2001 Avensis VVTi 1.6 petrol but the oil light comes on when I use the clutch pedal. I recently put new oil in since the level was low but now I'm getting this light coming on intermittently, usually when I'm changing gears or braking. Is this something I can fix with an oil additive or could it be symptom of something worse? Theres about 85000 on the clock.

Don't forget that the dash lights are normally oil pressure, not level. you will still normally get ok pressure with the oil level low, or with low compression on the engine.

This therefore is either pointing to a failure in the sensor or the circuit related to it. Or, something like a blocked oil gallery/ failing pump/ failing bearing etc. But yes, as mentioned earlier too thin oil will cause low oil pressure, especially on a worn engine.

These engines normally run ok on thin oil however.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

I came across this on another thread here http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41981

I just wondered if anyone could expand on this for me. I'm having a similar problem with my 2001 Avensis VVTi 1.6 petrol but the oil light comes on when I use the clutch pedal. I recently put new oil in since the level was low but now I'm getting this light coming on intermittently, usually when I'm changing gears or braking. Is this something I can fix with an oil additive or could it be symptom of something worse? Theres about 85000 on the clock.

Don't forget that the dash lights are normally oil pressure, not level. you will still normally get ok pressure with the oil level low, or with low compression on the engine.

This therefore is either pointing to a failure in the sensor or the circuit related to it. Or, something like a blocked oil gallery/ failing pump/ failing bearing etc. But yes, as mentioned earlier too thin oil will cause low oil pressure, especially on a worn engine.

These engines normally run ok on thin oil however.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

hi mate

what are your observations when started in cold condition? Whether the same light comes ON in iddle run?

Iin case you ve got the same as you explained then try to increase an idle rpm -- by the way are these idle rpm in limits?

Try and come back/Cheers/Igor

igor,

Thanks for the reply. Its starting ok in cold. The idle rpm is about 1500 - 1600. It used to be just under 2000. The dash lights all switch off when engine is idling. I haven't been able to push the revs up to check if this causes light to come on yet since I'm in work. Will check that this evening. The light is prone to come on when I clutch on changing gears either up or down or on braking.

igor,

Thanks for the reply. Its starting ok in cold. The idle rpm is about 1500 - 1600. It used to be just under 2000. The dash lights all switch off when engine is idling. I haven't been able to push the revs up to check if this causes light to come on yet since I'm in work. Will check that this evening. The light is prone to come on when I clutch on changing gears either up or down or on braking.

hello again

the rpm are used to be higher and in limits of 1800-1900 at cold starting;

it is understood when oil is still cold -- its pressure is more than when the oil is in working temp. what could happen -- you release the engine from gear transmission box and it is understood his rpm are normally dropped resulting oil pressure dropping (!!!) and in case the rpm dropped are not sufficient to keep an oil pressure in limits -- you see an alert . Besides - what oil grade do you use? Ok the possible reasons of this issue are as follows:

- oil filter clogging;

- rpm must be initially adjusted up to 1800-1900 (at cold starting);

- a wrong grade of oil is in sump;

- bad performance of an oil pump due to wear down;

- problem with driving gear;

- gaps in both main and big end bearing are out of limits;

- not sufficient oil level in the sump.

Check with the above first and come back.

Good luck/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links