Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aerial Amp And Tweeter Pods

aaronjp1990

Who was it that said about installing and aerial amp to there after market stereo?

reason i ask this is my reception is pathetic now with my alpine CDA-9855R connected :(

Also who was it that made new pods so there bigger tweeters could fit into the factory location?

On your head unit there is a black rubber button called 'function' at the 5 o clock position relative to the big volume knob. If you press and hold this you'll be presented with a menu. If you turn the control knob (as though you were increasing volume) and go to the option "FM-Level" and then press the enter button on your unit and then again using the large control knob change the fm-level setting to "high" this may solve your problem because I have an Alpine CDE-9880R and I had the same issue as yourself but the above sequence sorted mine out.

Obviously the above operation is for my head unit however a similar process will be required on your unit. I like Alpine head units because like Nokia phones if you can use one you can use em all.

If not then I am not aware of Corollas requiring an aerial booster once the OEM unit is removed like some VAGs. VAGs require this because the aerial signal booster is inbuilt into the OEM unit and so when this is removed the booster is removed along with the OEM and a separate booster is needed for connection of an after-market head unit. They're cheap though (around £13)...

RE the larger tweeter pods, what make/model of tweeter do you have that require large pods? I'm running JL C5's (6.5 comps) in the front and Diamond D3 (6.5 comps) in the rear with a JL 12W6v2 and a HD900/5 to provide the juice to run it all. Anyways I'm not aware of large tweeters requiring modification of the pods to fit?

Hope that helps.

ok i have gone into the settings and set fm to high level so i will see how that is over the weekend.

not tried to fit my components yet but i don't think they will fit in the standard place. they are focal cant remember model number they were something v2 anyway lol!

got a 12 w6v2 in the boot in the jl spec ported box but think i might make the sealed box as the vented one totally fills the boot! running with a 500/1 slash amp. not got an amp for the components yet.

got a 12 w6v2 in the boot in the jl spec ported box but think i might make the sealed box as the vented one totally fills the boot!

This is how you should get it installed as :lol:

4104DSCF0015.JPG

the antenna has an amplifier in the base of it. in order for it to work you need pass 12v down the centre of the coax that feeds it. If you don't, your FM will be cack and the AM will be non existent.

your head unit might have a menu option for energizing an external amp. have a look.

otherwise a trip to maplin will sort you out.

got a 12 w6v2 in the boot in the jl spec ported box but think i might make the sealed box as the vented one totally fills the boot!

This is how you should get it installed as :lol:

4104DSCF0015.JPG

i wish haha! there are no install places in Shetland :( so i just went to my uncles workshop and zipped up the 2 boxes to the spec jl provided me with haha! think the ported one is 2.5 cubic feet!

iv set my cd player to fm high but not been out of town yet to see if that made any difference. if that dont work ill get the instructions out and see if it can send some power down the aerial

ok i have gone into the settings and set fm to high level so i will see how that is over the weekend.

not tried to fit my components yet but i don't think they will fit in the standard place. they are focal cant remember model number they were something v2 anyway lol!

got a 12 w6v2 in the boot in the jl spec ported box but think i might make the sealed box as the vented one totally fills the boot! running with a 500/1 slash amp. not got an amp for the components yet.

Ported enclosures are more efficient as the woofer moves air on both strokes of movement (out and back in) and due to this produce "more" bass for a given rating of amplifier however the bass may not be as accurate and tight compared to a sealed enclosure with the same amp. I would suggest going with the JL specs sealed enclosure and keep the amp you have, 500RMS is perfect for the w6.

Regarding the picture don't have yours fitted like that unless that enclosure uses the recommended air volume as retricting the air volume defeats the object of having the w6 in the first place. Enclosed, fitted, wired and tuned correctly the w6 is an amazing sub to have part of your audio system.

And with the comps, don't assume the tweeters wont fit, measure them or try them before you pay for any modifications to your tweeter pods. However looking at pictures of what I think are your comps the tweeters are quite big hmm...

yes think i will swap the box's out. cant get to them just now as their is about 50 packs of solid oak flooring in the way! the w6 is a really nice sounding sub tho :)

Ported enclosures are more efficient as the woofer moves air on both strokes of movement (out and back in) and due to this produce "more" bass for a given rating of amplifier however the bass may not be as accurate and tight compared to a sealed enclosure with the same amp. I would suggest going with the JL specs sealed enclosure and keep the amp you have, 500RMS is perfect for the w6.

You will find, most JL's are better suited in a sealed enclosure.

Regarding the picture don't have yours fitted like that unless that enclosure uses the recommended air volume as retricting the air volume defeats the object of having the w6 in the first place. Enclosed, fitted, wired and tuned correctly the w6 is an amazing sub to have part of your audio system.

The pic in question is mine, and when i got it PRO INSTALLED by AUTHORISED JL AUDIO DEALERS, they do know what they are doing, here's a link of what they achieved with mine tucked in there somewhere ;)

I think it was installed in a 0.5cu ft. sealed enclosure (could be worng) and it sounds awesome, then and even now.

It can still capture the most subtle of bass frequencies to the hard hitting ones.

And with the comps, don't assume the tweeters wont fit, measure them or try them before you pay for any modifications to your tweeter pods. However looking at pictures of what I think are your comps the tweeters are quite big hmm...

Here's a few pics of how i got my tweeters installed.

gallery_1491_690_3486.jpg

gallery_1491_690_63724.jpg

gallery_1491_690_8307.jpg

gallery_1491_690_9544.jpg

You will find, most JL's are better suited in a sealed enclosure.

With respect and not wanting to start a war, if you read what I posted I too suggested going with a sealed enclosure built to JL specs...

The pic in question is mine, and when i got it PRO INSTALLED by AUTHORISED JL AUDIO DEALERS, they do know what they are doing, here's a link of what they achieved with mine tucked in there somewhere ;)

I think it was installed in a 0.5cu ft. sealed enclosure (could be worng) and it sounds awesome, then and even now.

It can still capture the most subtle of bass frequencies to the hard hitting ones.

Again I said that enclosure is fine as long as it allows for the recommended air volume for the sub...Please read properly my post.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links