Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service Plan Cancellation

PaulGP

I took out the 3 year sevice plan back in March 2008 with Loders in Dorchester. They subsequently closed down some time ago & I have now moved to Swindon. Went to Fish Brothers today for a free winter health check (half hour job I was told - took them two & half hours) - I told them my second service was due next March & I had the service plan currently in place. They advised I needed to contact Emac to transfer the plan from Loders to them. On calling Emac - they said this was not possible - I have to cancel the original plan & take out a new one if I so wish with the new dealer. My question is, has anyone had a similar experience & am I going to be hit with some sort of cancellation fee? I have paid in approx. £250 & only had the first service as yet.

Thanks for your help.

Did you buy the plan on your credit card or as part of a finance/credit agreement?

If so the company that supplied that credit will be liable for the plan if you cannot use the plan due to them closing down. Section 75 of the Consumer Credit act makes the credit company jointly liable for the product.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/...-your-purchases

There’s a secret phrase that turns any credit card into a financial self-defence superhero. “Section 75” laws means your plastic must protect anything you buy over £100 for free, so if there’s a problem or the company goes bust you can still get your money back.

Did you buy the plan on your credit card or as part of a finance/credit agreement?

If so the company that supplied that credit will be liable for the plan if you cannot use the plan due to them closing down. Section 75 of the Consumer Credit act makes the credit company jointly liable for the product.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/...-your-purchases

There’s a secret phrase that turns any credit card into a financial self-defence superhero. “Section 75” laws means your plastic must protect anything you buy over £100 for free, so if there’s a problem or the company goes bust you can still get your money back.

Gordon - thanks for your reply - it is being paid by monthly direct debit (which I have stopped today) & is with a third party - Emac - not Loders. Emac advised they would issue me a refund - I've e-mailed them all the details - I'm just wondering if I'm gonna get stung by some small print in relation to cancelling.

This being financed through a third party may mean that they are technically supplying a financial loan for the purpose so they may still also be liable, give your local CAB a call and check.

Sorry to hear of the situation - this is why it is imperative that people buying such plans know what type of plan they are buying and how.

As you appear to have a Dealership specific service plan, it might be worth seeking out if they have a Toyota Dealership elsewhere and if you can get to it. You might find that they have a Dealership close by to a relative or family friend - so you can combine service with a visit.

Long shot I know, but it might be better than nothing...

Sorry to hear of the situation - this is why it is imperative that people buying such plans know what type of plan they are buying and how.

As you appear to have a Dealership specific service plan, it might be worth seeking out if they have a Toyota Dealership elsewhere and if you can get to it. You might find that they have a Dealership close by to a relative or family friend - so you can combine service with a visit.

Long shot I know, but it might be better than nothing...

Thanks - I'll wait until I hear back from Emac regarding my refund request & keep my fingers crossed!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links