Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fun In The Snow!

s burrow

JC proved the point brilliantly in tonight's TG program....Used the hideous BMW X6 monstrosity to prove why do car makers make a 4x4 and then make it no good as a 4x4...or at least have some good traction... X6 is one such vehicle.... and as I said to the lady driver of the RR in the ditch (which was being winched out by a Land Rover :unsure: :unsure: ) best change those racing slicks for some proper tyres..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: she said she did not know what all the traction buttons where for...and by the look of the hole she had dug in with wheel spin...no one else in the RR did either.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

O and if any one else is wondering....the tree stump survived...only minor scratching and a little chip.... :D :D :D With all this freezing ice we have had...I'll see tomorrow if it has claimed any more victims..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh my goodness

so not only had the 'proud owner' of that £45'000 c***p RR sport with its flashy wheels,not know how to drive it,but sounds like she obviously didnt know how to use its features. :lol::lol::lol:

pathetic ( some folks have too much money)

if i was spending that sort of money,i would want to know every inch of the vehicle,inside and out...and make full use of every gadget on it :yes:

i see these vehicles everywhere,i never see any covered in mud.......but i did have a mate join me and friends at 'bures pit' during x mas,...in a 07 range rover,he bent a side step....£400,and both head lights filled with water...£££'s

we also took a 05 hilux rwin cab...100'000 miles expedition ready,all day in the pit,....no problems :thumbsup:

and a 52 suzuki jimney ,again..all day in the pit...followed hilux everwhere,.....no troubles...nowt broken

my rav4,back at home.......safe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• rambler

• jedi134

• chatman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JC proved the point brilliantly in tonight's TG program....Used the hideous BMW X6 monstrosity to prove why do car makers make a 4x4 and then make it no good as a 4x4...or at least have some good traction... X6 is one such vehicle....

Did you see that £340,000 Lexus on Top Gear, Chatters.. :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: Think we saw it at the motorshow :unsure: Is there a motorshow this year? If there is, are we going?....Promise to behave myself ..Stew :thumbsup:

Another one for Anchorman !

Your quote

""Now if you are cruising at 50mph it will almost certainly be in FWD but now the way the coupling behaves is different.""

My T180 cuts out of (selected) 4 wheel drive at about 23 mph and the 4 wheel drive light, of course, goes off.

If at about 30/35 mph, I floor the throttle, on a slippery road does the rear wheel drive autmatically come in?

Guy

Another one for Anchorman !

Your quote

""Now if you are cruising at 50mph it will almost certainly be in FWD but now the way the coupling behaves is different.""

My T180 cuts out of (selected) 4 wheel drive at about 23 mph and the 4 wheel drive light, of course, goes off.

If at about 30/35 mph, I floor the throttle, on a slippery road does the rear wheel drive autmatically come in?

Guy

I saw Guy today and answered this question but for anyone else, yes - the 4WD is automatically re-engaged if you floor it and also then fades out if you ease off or as the speed and need for traction decreaes.

If the 4.3 ALWAYS starts in 4WD, and applies some 4WD as required under normal running, what purpose is served by the manual 4WD lock since it disengages at 25MPH?

If the 4.3 ALWAYS starts in 4WD, and applies some 4WD as required under normal running, what purpose is served by the manual 4WD lock since it disengages at 25MPH?

Say you pull out of your snow covered drive onto another road with snow but only trundle along with very light throttle at 15mph the chances are it will have backed off and become 2WD. Also, if you turn out of your snow covered drive onto a steep down hill it will do the same. Having the 4WD engaged will improve stability on the flat and provide engine braking to all four wheels on a downhill slope. If you get stuck in the snow you should engage the 4WD lock as you don't get too many computers intervening with what you are trying to achieve. You should be aware however that even with the 4WD locked the TRC and VSC are still on UNLESS you turn it off with the manual sequence which is a bit laborious.

The best set up is on the new models as they can disable the VSC/TRC at the flick of a switch (I'm hoping our electronics guru shcm can come up with a mod for those of us without the switch). If you have a a post 2009 model and you get stuck you should lock the 4WD and press the VSC/TRC switch. In this case all 4 wheels have a chance at getting drive but in extreme cases you could still have one front and one rear wheel spinning. As soon as you are free you should turn off the VSC/TRC switch.

For those that want to print the pre 2009 procedure just copy this onto a blank sheet;

Begin with the parking brake off and the engine off.

Start engine.

Apply parking brake and press the foot brake twice then let the parking brake off again.

Press the foot brake and pull the parking brake on and off twice then let the foot brake off again.

Finally pull the parking brake on and press the brake twice.

The VSC light will now come on and stay on until you switch the ignition off again after which the VSC defaults to on again.

You need only press the brake hard enough to work the brake lights and the handbrake to work the dashboard warning light.

The way I understand it, it locks the 4WD completely and overrides the diffs so all wheels are driving without any slippage. Very good for traction but you wouldn't want to be going over 25MPH because of the strain this would cause on the transmission.

[i am sure Anchorman will clarify/correct/extrapolate if I am misunderstanding]

That was spooky Anchs!

This is like my lane over to work each morning. They've cleared a path through now but even with towards a foot of snow it has kept going. That sign at the back says 12%.

IMG_0871.jpg

(anchorwoman is wondering why she is married to such a SB)

This is a bit further down;

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

This is like my lane over to work each morning. They've cleared a path through now but even with towards a foot of snow it has kept going. That sign at the back says 12%.

IMG_0871.jpg

(anchorwoman is wondering why she is married to such a SB)

This is a bit further down;

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

I never expected SWMBO to get to work on Tuesday but she called me to say she had got to work with no problems however she was now stuck :( at which point my heart sank as she works out of the far side of Penistone into the Peak District and I feared for her getting home, only then did she tell me it was because the snow was higher than the bottom of the car doors and she didn't want to open them into the snow :D it is by far the best car for this type of weather we have ever owned or seen complete these types of journeys.

Will try and get some pics from her

Came over "my" lane from work today. The snow is much deeper on the road but still soft (I can't remember such nice snow). It snakes and slides from side to side but it gives me a thrill. The best thing is IT KEEPS GOING. I drove into a deep drift outside my mates house and when I came to leave it just scrabbled sideways and dug its way out. I just love this thing with a passion!!!

It cost more than my first house but I don't regret one penny - this is a picture of me in the snow > :D

The best set up is on the new models as they can disable the VSC/TRC at the flick of a switch (I'm hoping our electronics guru shcm can come up with a mod for those of us without the switch).

Another investigation in progress :)

Managed to get a few pics off SWMBO's phone

Her car park at work

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

And managed to get upto the stables to see the horse everyday too, although the snow is melting fast

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

I was saying that last Sunday I got stuck for the first time with mine going over the lane to work. I got through a couple of drifts but then got beached and had to go back. What I didn't realise was that the drifts had got a bit bigger further on and I don't think even snow tyres would have helped me!!!!!

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

Reminds me of a driving holiday I had in Norway a few years back. Mind you, the tarmac was clear, the snow banks much taller and it was June not January.

Has that lot gone yet?

.........first trip over today since Saturday so I'll let you know. That was Thursday in the photo and technically the road was closed so I have been going round the main roads.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links