Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vsc/traction Control

msprince

As far as Insurance goes, it's a minefield!

My owners manual actual advises to switch off the TC in snow in order to actually drive. Driving with TC on in snow would mean you get nowhere. However, as this can be switched off via a simple, standard fit button on this vehicle, this wouldn't be a factor.

However, if you intentionally disable a passive safety feature, on your vehicle that is NOT designed to be switched off (VSC in the instance of the Corolla T Sport) and investigations found that you did this in order to drive like a fool, which was a contributing factor to an incident, then most companies would repudiate your claim. They would ask why you disabled it, and there would have to be a damn good reason!

farhanali89 - You're spot on. VSC does fail, but would you drive around knowing that your car had a fault? You'd get it fixed ASAP (well I know I would)

If this system failed through a general fault, insurance companies might be a bit more forgiving.

I do remember an old case (many years ago) when a claim was thrown out because someone greased his rear wheels to try and get the back end out. However, this was because he told his company that he was trying to do this.

Doh!

My owners manual actual advises to switch off the TC in snow in order to actually drive. Driving with TC on in snow would mean you get nowhere. However, as this can be switched off via a simple, standard fit button on this vehicle, this wouldn't be a factor.

However, if you intentionally disable a passive safety feature, on your vehicle that is NOT designed to be switched off (VSC in the instance of the Corolla T Sport) and investigations found that you did this in order to drive like a fool, which was a contributing factor to an incident, then most companies would repudiate your claim. They would ask why you disabled it, and there would have to be a damn good reason!

farhanali89 - You're spot on. VSC does fail, but would you drive around knowing that your car had a fault? You'd get it fixed ASAP (well I know I would)

If this system failed through a general fault, insurance companies might be a bit more forgiving.

I do remember an old case (many years ago) when a claim was thrown out because someone greased his rear wheels to try and get the back end out. However, this was because he told his company that he was trying to do this.

Doh!

Tit!!

Doh!

Tit!!

Yeah I know. I laughed too!

its a tricky subject no doubt. either way i personally wouldnt remove it, if the OP wishes to do so then let him. As far as what vsc does...if you drive hard enough mainly taking a bend superfast vsc will start beeping......normally it cannot take control anymore and it cuts off anyway when it beeps. For a road car its useful if you make a minor mistake.

In general i dont think insurance companies would give a monkeys. Yes if you removed it and drove like a rally driver on our roads and had an accident and from impact it was known it is your fault then you pay the consequences. Simply removing VSC will not invalidate your warranty. In terms of faults......sometimes you could have an engine light which needs to be reset.....there are no faults in this case, you choose as the owner not to clear the codes as it will cost you if you dont have a code reader. So you decide not to as there are no faults or defects on the vehicle just a old stored engine management light....in this case that engine management light automatically however turns your vsc and trc off.....So the argument is valid the insurance will not be void. Tell the insurance to look in the small print in regards to Engine Management Lights and im sure you will find nothing related as they dont know nothing specific about the car

Cheers everyone on your replies.

Good news went the private land with a few pals and had a brill time, never got chance to pull fuse out tho but still great fun.

I think the should be places where you can go legally in weather like this so you can have a bit of fun, get it all out your system so when go on to the public roads you dont kill some innocent people.

I know it would cost an arm and leg for someone to set anything up like this, but hey you can always wish.

Matt

As far as what vsc does...if you drive hard enough mainly taking a bend superfast vsc will start beeping......normally it cannot take control anymore and it cuts off anyway when it beeps. For a road car its useful if you make a minor mistake.

Wrong on both counts!

Looks like you are in Tiff's 99% of drivers who don't know what ESP can do :blink:

I think the should be places where you can go legally in weather like this so you can have a bit of fun, get it all out your system so when go on to the public roads you dont kill some innocent people.

I know it would cost an arm and leg for someone to set anything up like this, but hey you can always wish.

Matt

I did something very similar when I passed my driving test. We found an old airfield around Tetbury that was due to be turned into some houses. We offered the security guard a few crates of beer and asked if we could have half a day just tearing around the tarmac.

He said it was ok as long as we didn't crash, so we spent a while learning about slides, skids, J-Turns, handbrake turns etc.

Followed it up with a skidpan day at Castle Coombe and I can tell you that because of all that larking around, I'm still here. A few times I've been caught out by bad weather / snow / oil / gravel on the road and because of all that, I knew what to do and prevented at least 2 big accidents!

And yes Matt, it was EPIC FUN!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links