Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reverse Cameras

robvensis

Mine doesn't. :(

The salesman said this was the model before they became standard.

KEITH.

All T- spirits had reverse cameras, I am fairly sure of that, I think parking sensors were optional extra across range though.

All T-Spirits did NOT have reverse cameras.

The IPA and reverse camera was an option until late 06 when it became a standard fit on T-Spirits. I have a Mid Year 06 T-Spirit that is missing reverse camera and IPA.

I've been searching for a reverse camera ever since as the harness and plug is present in the tailgate and I'm hoping that installation of a camera will at least enable rear view mode. IPA requires a bunch of other stuff and I'm told was a waste of time anyway.

You're right Darren and actually mine was the last of the 06 models (registered Nov 06) where it was an option. I talked to toyota about this and they recommend the audio ones that bleep and I am going to have these fitted. The reasons being that with cameras you can miss things at certain angles, and that they are not much use in the dark and with bad weather forever get full of crud impairing the view. The bleep bleep ones work all the time and are apparently more reliable. They are telling me that they only cost £220 to fit which sounds cheap to me.

By the way, what do you do for sat nav updates? i am trying to get hold of a later version than the 2005-2006 that I have. I will be buying some at toyota but have to wait until april for the new version (dont want to pay the £159 twice). any advice? do you have a later copy that you would be willing to sell?

cheers

robert

All T-Spirits did NOT have reverse cameras.

The IPA and reverse camera was an option until late 06 when it became a standard fit on T-Spirits. I have a Mid Year 06 T-Spirit that is missing reverse camera and IPA.

I've been searching for a reverse camera ever since as the harness and plug is present in the tailgate and I'm hoping that installation of a camera will at least enable rear view mode. IPA requires a bunch of other stuff and I'm told was a waste of time anyway.

The bleep bleep ones work all the time and are apparently more reliable. They are telling me that they only cost £220 to fit which sounds cheap to me.

Sounds bloomin expensive to me! You could do it yourself, it's a pretty simple job, one I've been toying with but put off in the hope I can find the elusive camera.

I also found a no holes reversing radar that used an antenna that affixed to the inside of the bumper rather than sensors that need the bumper drilling, a nice unobtrusive system.

Fitment of either requires nothing more than the removal of the rear bumper to drill the sensor holes and tapping into the reverse light for power, pretty easy. Failing that I guess £220 would be about right for a pro fit if it included painted sensors to match your colour?

By the way, what do you do for sat nav updates? i am trying to get hold of a later version than the 2005-2006 that I have. I will be buying some at toyota but have to wait until april for the new version (dont want to pay the £159 twice). any advice? do you have a later copy that you would be willing to sell?

I'm still running the 06 disc. I toyed with the idea of buying the update but I prefer a TomTom for navigation so it's a lot of money to splash out. Good as the built-in nav is, it isn't anywhere near as good as a modern PND that can import custom POIs, speed cameras etc.

I have a Brodit ProClip installed to the right of the MFD. Also just bought a Kensington LiquidAux to power the iPhone in the glovebox and connect to the Aux-In. With the supplied steering wheel mounted remote it works a dream with the built-in stereo.

I've had many cars, our last was an Mercedes CLK Cabriolet with a stonking great engine and all the bells and whistles but I'm loving the Prius and wouldn't swap it. The £15 tax, 55+ mpg and masses of space it provides bring a smile to my face every day, who'd have thought eh!

I can see our next car being another lower mileage T-Spirit and I really fancy a plug-in kit for this one day!

Hi Darren

thanks for this. By the way great website, I discovered it quite a few years ago now and downloaded many a POI which have been really useful!

I already have a tomtom GO 530, but I will probably be gifting this to my wife for her car. Besides I am impressed with the toyota one and it grows on you after a while. The speed cameras would be really useful and is the major downside (especially as I have 6 points). However the prius isnt quite as potent as my Celica SS3 import and I tend to set speeds on my cruise control now so hoping my new behaviour will save me!

Take your points on the cost of the bleeps but unfortunately I really dont know what I am doing with this and dont want to bodge £11k of car. However I think installing a camera would be a bit more effort as the install that I saw involved routing the wiring from the boot through door panels and such like unless you are going for a wireless one? I have one of these that I will probably put on my wifes car and it comes with its own small screen

The bleep bleep ones work all the time and are apparently more reliable. They are telling me that they only cost £220 to fit which sounds cheap to me.

Sounds bloomin expensive to me! You could do it yourself, it's a pretty simple job, one I've been toying with but put off in the hope I can find the elusive camera.

I also found a no holes reversing radar that used an antenna that affixed to the inside of the bumper rather than sensors that need the bumper drilling, a nice unobtrusive system.

Fitment of either requires nothing more than the removal of the rear bumper to drill the sensor holes and tapping into the reverse light for power, pretty easy. Failing that I guess £220 would be about right for a pro fit if it included painted sensors to match your colour?

I'm still running the 06 disc. I toyed with the idea of buying the update but I prefer a TomTom for navigation so it's a lot of money to splash out. Good as the built-in nav is, it isn't anywhere near as good as a modern PND that can import custom POIs, speed cameras etc.

I have a Brodit ProClip installed to the right of the MFD. Also just bought a Kensington LiquidAux to power the iPhone in the glovebox and connect to the Aux-In. With the supplied steering wheel mounted remote it works a dream with the built-in stereo.

I've had many cars, our last was an Mercedes CLK Cabriolet with a stonking great engine and all the bells and whistles but I'm loving the Prius and wouldn't swap it. The £15 tax, 55+ mpg and masses of space it provides bring a smile to my face every day, who'd have thought eh!

I can see our next car being another lower mileage T-Spirit and I really fancy a plug-in kit for this one day!

However I think installing a camera would be a bit more effort as the install that I saw involved routing the wiring from the boot through door panels and such like unless you are going for a wireless one?

No, I'm looking for the original reversing camera as fitted to later T-Spirits. There is already a blank in the tailgate for it and on mine the wiring loom is present in the tailgate for me to plug the camera in.

I've investigated and as far as I can tell, once the camera is plugged in, the reverse view on the MFD is activated without further work/effort so if I can get hold of the camera from a scrapper then it's worth a try.

Is there a blanking plug where the parking sensor wires can enter the car, or is it a case of drilling a hole?

I quite like the electromagnetic sensor that glues to the back of the bumper rather than also drilling the bumber and colour matching the sensors.

There isn't an existing blanking plug but you don't need to drill a hole.

I have a copy of Toyota's own reversing sensor accessory install kit which handily documents what is required to remove the bumper, and where to route the cable into the body using a vent hidden behind the bumper and where to tap into power etc.

This would be applicable to any kit. If you chose to use a third part kit with sensors it even tells you where Toyota advise the sensors are optimally located :)

If you want a copy it's available from Toyota's Techdoc site or I have it here

For reference this was the no holes reversing sensor I had been looking at. If it works it looks like a much neater solution than those that require the sensors fitted in the bumper.

However I think installing a camera would be a bit more effort as the install that I saw involved routing the wiring from the boot through door panels and such like unless you are going for a wireless one?

No, I'm looking for the original reversing camera as fitted to later T-Spirits. There is already a blank in the tailgate for it and on mine the wiring loom is present in the tailgate for me to plug the camera in.

I've investigated and as far as I can tell, once the camera is plugged in, the reverse view on the MFD is activated without further work/effort so if I can get hold of the camera from a scrapper then it's worth a try.

If you're right, I'm liking the sound of this for mine. Just as a baseline I got a quote from cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk for a new camera, £420 delivered! :eek: I could probably get a HD video camera for that...

KEITH.

Yeah I saw that price and laughed! I missed out on one recently at £100 which is more reasonable. It's easy to check if you have the plug and loom in the tailgate but there is no way of knowing if everything else is there until I get hold of a camera and plug it in.

I see the PD1 sensor kit sells for around 68 quid (electromagnetic parking sensor from Parking Dynamics)

There's an eBay seller, ebuyer43, who has something similar - maybe a grey import from the manufacturers that sell for around 26 quid. For that price I might get one to play with.

(Apologies for diverting thread away from reversing cameras)

I looked in my tailgate today, and no reversing camera connector :(

Just to double-check, I looked at the connectors on the back of the MFD, and nothing there either :angry:

I'm wondering now whether I could wire it in myself with the right bits and whether it would work...

One to look at when I get a camera and when the weather warms up a bit!

KEITH.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links